Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floorstanding speakers on Hardwood floors!!

Options
  • 03-02-2005 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I have a set of mission M33 floor standing speakers which I got a few months ago and am very happy with,

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2182

my problem is this I will be soon moving into an apartment with hardwood floors and the speakers have these (removable) metal spikes on the bottom of them. if I use these on the hardwood floors the floors are going to get wrecked.

in the store I got them in the assistant said it was advisable to have the main speaker unit an inch or so off the ground to help with the resonance of the sound (or something). so I want to keep the spikes in place.

obviously the solution is some sort of cork or rubber plugs put over the spikes and this is my question.

Is anyone using or can suggest something to use for this, Does anyone know of anywhere that sells/makes something I could use?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Put a coin under each spike. Personally though I couldn't hear any differance with my Mission m74's when I did this so I just took the spikes off altogether.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Calibos wrote:
    Put a coin under each spike.

That's what I do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

thanks for the replys, coins you say? hmmm..... what about those disc things for the feet of sofas/other furnishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Like I said, I'm not audiophile enough to hear the differance that spikes make anyway but I can only surmise that the spike makes perfect contact with the hard metal coin and the coin with the floor thus transmitting the cabinet virations perfectly to the floor whereas if you use one off these plastic sofa things, the plastic wont conduct the vibrations properly as it is a softer material, thus some vibration of the cabinet will remain colouring the sound. Thats the kind of explanation that an audiophile would make I imagine.

Also, a coin would be much less noticable:D

oh I'm not that bothered about getting absolutely perfect clear sound (although I damn well don't want crap sound) My main concern is not messing up my new floors which are gonna cost be a fat wad, so you took off the spikes and just rested the nut (for want of a better word) the spike screws into onto some coins?

• Advertisement

found these yokes

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku.lasso?item=a8515fb82d93607dfd8e36f8690f348cf3911010ed64e28b&rlog=nxtprv

bit pricy for 4 bits of rubber and you need two packs, £26 sterling, geroutofit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

On my m74s, I have the spike end screwed on inside the speaker. The opposite end is rounded and is in contact with my floor.

They still leave a small indentation in the wooden floor so I might try the coin method myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

normally the manufacturer would offer the rubber feet for the speakers,
    I would advise , that if you was the floor clearance, to actually use somse more solid support, as speakers can have a tendancy to move when on a flat, hard surface.
    plus if there is a slight slope in your new place this would add to the moving of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Get some neoprene sheet (it looks like black rubber Radionics have it) and cut it square. The neoprene will protect the floor and you'll get better isolation for the speaker. I've got about 3 or 4 5mm squares of this underneath my studio monitors - protects the furniture and gives the speakers extra isolation

sound interesting shabbyroad, neoprene is the stuff they make wetsuits out of, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I think so. It's sold in sheet form so that it can be put under machinery to help isolate vibrations in factories/workshops.
    I've found it excellent for isolating my Mackie HSR's - they have quite a bass extension - and because they're sitting on the console. I really needed to isolate as much as possible. I can crank them and not feel any vibration through the furniture or floor.

Advertisement