Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Uk bought LCD TV be used here?

Options
  • 04-02-2005 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Am looking into getting a big LCD TV in a few months time (saving up funds) and have been doing a little rooting around. Current hot candidate is the Philips 32PF9986. A 32 inch LCD.

The only place I've found it (so far) in Ireland is from the Philips shop in Dublin for €3500.

A number of UK web based suppliers have the same model for considerably cheaper (e.g www.tvandvideodirect.com for £1835 + £85 delivery to Rep. Ireland). That is approx €2900.

A €600 price difference!!!

Concerns about web purchasing aside, I'm wondering whether UK bought TV's work proberly in Ireland?

I'm vaguely aware that Irish sold TV's need 2 tuners (UHF and VHF), and UK only have one (VHF I think). So whatever channels here come in on UHF can't be tuned in.

I use Sky so not too concerned about that.

Anyone know if there are any other technical reasons why this TV may not work in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

they work fine in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I arranged for a 44" DLP Rear Projection TV to be sent from tvandvideodirect to my brother in Dublin. He saved €1,000 against the price of the TV in DID Electrical (the only place in Dublin he could find it).

It works fine.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

dancin wrote:
    The only place I've found it (so far) in Ireland is from the Philips shop in Dublin for €3500.

I think I saw that model in Arnotts yesterday, and they have offers on at the moment. Might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭antomack

I found tvandvideodirect to be very good when I purchased a 32" Sharp LCD for 75% of the best price here in Ireland. It was delivered in 2 days from when they got it in. There has been no issues with tuning it in etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the_vick

For £2,113.83 you can get the 37" Philips with this crowd (although I don't know what the deal is with delivery):

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10279900&pid=206

• Advertisement
Advertisement