Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just gave my wife a nice present - 2 points!

Options
  • 04-02-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Why, cause our insurance will go up by more if I take them. I'll pay the fine for her though.... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thats good thining I'm sure your wife will be overjoyed. Why ruin the surprise and don't tell her untill she gets her insurance premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hshortt wrote:
    Why, cause our insurance will go up by more if I take them. I'll pay the fine for her though.... :)

best to wait 28 days and send it off with her name as driver hopfully by time she gets summons it b outside prosecution time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mate of mine did the same. Named driver on his parent's policy, he gets caught, so his Dad took the points and he paid the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If I gave my mother/father points theyd shoot me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

hee hee, I thought about waiting till Valentines to tell her, but decided against that. See I am thoughtful! haha :D

But it's the way it works, if I take the points insurance goes up. If she takes the points, insurance goes down. Sometimes I wish I was a woman, but that only last a few seconds! :p

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Sure 2 points wudnt put it up that much, would it. Do they even ask you, have you points. I was never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Howard, you're a brave, brave man.

Have you come up with a plan of attack? What you propose is the logic, rational solution. But women are rarely logical, rational beings. She might refuse to endorse your scheme for reasons of her feelings, her reputation, or because "you need to take your medicine". She may also have some bizarre sentimentality about "having a clean licence".

Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I work in Hibernian and your insurance will *not* go up if you have two points. If you have 5 or more however you will forego the 10% "good driving" discount.

So, basically you already have points and can't afford to take these two, correct?

Nope MojoMaker,

I've no points, but I would think that being a Male in the car insurance game is always a negative thing. It's one of those things in life where men need to cry out for equality....

Cheers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MojoMaker wrote:
    I work in Hibernian and your insurance will *not* go up if you have two points. If you have 5 or more however you will forego the 10% "good driving" discount.

So, basically you already have points and can't afford to take these two, correct?
    Maybe so, your insurance will just go up for every other reason imaginable!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

hshortt wrote:
    ...I would think that being a Male in the car insurance game is always a negative thing. It's one of those things in life where men need to cry out for equality....

Cheers

Ah, but do we really want equality in this area? Mens' premiums won't come down to match womens'. Womens' will go up.

Not good in the average 2 car household.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I would be interested to hear more about this. You must have filled in the back of the form naming the driver. how long did it take for your wife to receive notification. Did the police contact you in the meantime ? I only ask as when I was caught my brother, who lives in the U.S. was driving my car. Shame he's gone home now eh?

Well we've only received the letter, not the points yet. I've not even filled it in yet but we'll get around to that in time.

If your brother ever comes and gets an Irish license then the points you 'give' him will be waiting for him. There's a few threads about this type of thing here on boards.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you name someone else within 28days they will send out 2 further letters. 1 to yourself thanking your for naming the other person and a fresh notice to the other person. However this notice does not have any space to nominate another further person. My tip is to use the full 28days before naming the other person as depending on the inital offence date the whole thing may become time expired.

Your option to name your wife as the driver may backfire as they hold the photograph, you don't know how good it is. It may clearly identify you as driver. If you supplied a female name and the picture is checked you will be done for attempting to pervert the course of justice, signing a false statement which the punishment incls prision is far more than speeding. Think before you write!

Thanks for that 007! All I got was a pixelated shot of my dash.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Bond-007 wrote:
    If you name someone else within 28days they will send out 2 further letters. 1 to yourself thanking your for naming the other person and a fresh notice to the other person. However this notice does not have any space to nominate another further person. My tip is to use the full 28days before naming the other person as depending on the inital offence date the whole thing may become time expired.

Your option to name your wife as the driver may backfire as they hold the photograph, you don't know how good it is. It may clearly identify you as driver. If you supplied a female name and the picture is checked you will be done for attempting to pervert the course of justice, signing a false statement which the punishment incls prision is far more than speeding. Think before you write!

good point, but u could always say the wife often drives it and who could say who was driving it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

In my experience , delay delay delay, Get a doctors letter for your court date. Get a second one for your next date. ( Only if your ill obviously). delay delay delay. :D

Delaying the inevitable will only serve to p*ss off the cops and the judge. I would strongly advise against that course of action as it will achieve nothing except aggro and a bigger fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

MojoMaker wrote:
    Wouldn't it effectively go up if you already have the 17% discount for being a really good boy and having no points and now have 2 points and only get the 10% discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

MojoMaker wrote:

An incentive to speed up if ever I saw one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

MojoMaker wrote:

You sure about that, MojoMaker? 'Cos I renewed with Hibernian last October and didn't get the 10% discount on account of the missus (named driver) having 2 penalty points. Was I gipped? Or have things changed recently? And what's this about a 17% discount for being a reeeelly good boy ('cos I am! :D)

I looked for a quote from them and they will refuse to quote if you don't give them a driving licence number. So they must have access to the records.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

hshortt wrote:
    All I got was a pixelated shot of my dash.

Do you mean the picture quality is bad, or a portion of the picture is deliberately pixellated to force you to be accurate (such as the driver's head', e.g. the shot is made anonymous save for the car reg), else you make a false statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I'm in a similar situation I just recieved a penalty points notice on Friday for doing 38mph in a 30mph road, after the initial shock of this a couple of things got to me.

One i only recieved the notice now when the offence took place on the 3rd of January at 2pm, the local gaurds must of been busy.

My wife also drives our family car so at first i wasn't sure who was driving.

Secondly the name of the road on the notice i couldn't even find it on a map even the most up to date online maps of Navan, and then this is the kicker, i drive 70+ miles every day to and from Dublin on the N3 and then on a Bank holiday monday I'm clocked for speeding on a road which is about 2 miles straight along which is a waste land on one side and has a few entrances to housing estates on the other.

Anyway I'll be taking the points and hope my insurance is not effected.

Also the gardai don't get your contact details from the national vehicle register but from your motor tax details, as i had changed the address on this online when renewing my tax but i haven't got around to sedning the other form off yet.

Hi Ambro25,

The picture could be cropped, but it's just a shot of the reg, that's all. It's pixelated as I would guess the Garda are not using very good quality cameras (maybe they are!?)

Anyway, maybe it's just a portion of a bigger picture including the driver, but that's not shown.

Cheers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hshortt wrote:
    Hi Ambro25,

The picture could be cropped, but it's just a shot of the dash, that's all. It's pixelated as I would guess the Garda are not using very good quality cameras (maybe they are!?)

Anyway, maybe it's just a portion of a bigger picture including the driver, but that's not shown.

Cheers
    I can see two things from this:-
    1. the gardai are using a poor quality photo of a dashboard to prove you were speeding. Is there any evidence that it was your car?
    2. If it was cropped, then what else was done to it? If this is evidence then they should not tamper with it in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Could be wrong but I was told they can't show a picture of the inside of the car.... something to do with some bloke sueing the british govt after the picture arrived home of him and the mistress in the car. Wife wasn't too impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Think I might be misinterpreting, here... When you say 'dash', do you mean:
    _registration plate (e.g. dash is slang for same) OR
    _the dash as in "the dashboard", e.g. the pic showing the front of the car with reg/bonnet/top of dash/driver face (those I know, as they're are typical French radar photos - thus, remember to always smile as you drive in France, just in case :D )

Opppsss.... meant to say reg!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

peckerhead wrote:
    And what's this about a 17% discount for being a reeeelly good boy ('cos I am! :D)
    Here's a present for you so.

17.5% for zero points, 10% for two points, nothing for three or more points, extra loading for more than five (which I assume means six or more).

Advertisement