Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seminars! How much?

• 04-02-2005 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

I hav'int been at a seminar in Ireland since before the Euro!

The last one I was at was in the the UK last November £20 GBP (about 30 euro) for 4 hours with Rick Clark.

Can you all list the seminars you have went to and the lengh of time and costs of these seminars? Also try to tell me if the hall used was owned by the host? And how far the instructor had to travel to get there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I attended a day long seminar with Master O'Toole of the INTA in November in Middleton. Master O'Toole and two others travelled down from Dublin that morning to be there for 10 am. There was 30-40 people attending, we were using the hall that the local club trains in and the cost was E30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I'll do you
    a one hour seminar at least once a month
    we will train in secret Hwa Rang Do moves
    including sword and fan technique
    and I'll charge you nothing down double nothing back if you are dis satisfied!
    Can't say fairer than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Musashi wrote:
    Hwa Rang Do

Funny Bunny :p

C'Mon,you know you want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I love that pattern Hwa-rang tul... our instructor was teaching it to us last weekend during training, really interesting techniques in it. Am gonna try do it for a comp sometine!

• Advertisement

One of my own faves and seeing it done in a video game!:)
    Class!
    I always try to fight as Hwa Rang and usually i win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Unleash the Power Within - Anthony Robbins seminar in london

approx £500 sterling

and you get to walk on buring coals in yer bare feet too!

Walking on coals is piss simple once you step lively !
    Come on down and we can do it together

Anyone else have seminar info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

depends on how and what are teaching the seminar..€30 is plenty any more and you starting to get into the rippoff ireland website.

paddy

• Advertisement

Musashi wrote:
    One of my own faves and seeing it done in a video game!:)
    Class!
    I always try to fight as Hwa Rang and usually i win!
    I don't think the tul itself is actually done in Tekken 4, just that the character is names hwa-rang! Could be wrong though.

....... *Goes and turns on PS2 to check!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

problem with seminars is if you're bringing someone in from abroad then you're having to pay for travel expenses, accomodation before you even cover the fee, and if all thats in sterling.... :(

I think anthony robbins would be about 1 million for a weekend seminar.
    500 sterling for a ticket to go. he had 10,000 people at the one I went to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I suppose it depends on where the guy is based, his reputation, what he's bringing and (this relates back to another thread) weather you think he's worth paying money for.
    Personally I've passed on seminars before as they were from people who probably wouldn't be bringing anything new.
    The Matt Thornton, Mike Chapman seminar in march is 100lids for two days, which I reckon is sound and good value on the basis that they are BJJ Black belts, of which Ireland has none, and I know them by reputation. So I'll be paying and going.
    A mate of mine was in England a few weeks ago, and there was a seminar by a 3rd degree BB in TKD advertising a semi-contact seminar for 100sterling a head............. if thats what yer into........ Not only are 3rd degrees two a penny, his guy was offering nothing new. So anyone who's paying it..........well, they were probably his mates.

memphis wrote:
    I don't think the tul itself is actually done in Tekken 4, just that the character is names hwa-rang! Could be wrong though.

....... *Goes and turns on PS2 to check!*
    In Tekken 3 he does the full tul in the special features. :D

and one of his warms ups is the 2 turning kicks from the tul.

They digi'd a TKD master guy for it.

Thanks for your comments lads.

So a session for 30 euro is deemed as the norm.

And if you are going for a day or two 50 a day is the norm?

pma-ire wrote:
    In Tekken 3 he does the full tul in the special features. :D

and one of his warms ups is the 2 turning kicks from the tul.

They digi'd a TKD master guy for it.
    Ah, I see, haven't had the pleasure of playing Tekken 3.

So what are the tuls in Tekken 4 then at the end of the game? There are 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I've done a few seminars with TKD guys that came over from the US and Germany and they cost €25, which was very reasonable.

whats the us TKD guy Hee LL Cho like...he comes to ireland?

Don't know, never trained with him. He was in ireland a few years ago but it was pretty expensive as far as I remember. I'm sure some of the AIMAA lads can answer you better.

• Advertisement

I can't remember exactly how much last time out. I think it was in the region of €70 for the day give or take. Certainly not €25 anyway! :D

Tim_Murphy wrote:
    I've done a few seminars with TKD guys that came over from the US and Germany and they cost €25, which was very reasonable.

How many heads at it though??

The guy who did that seminar (Robert Wheatley) did a few other ones whilst he was over here as well, so the €25s did add up I'm sure. Still very cheap though. Unfortunately I was bored out of my tree at it but thats another story. Got a nice certificate out of it. :)

memphis wrote:
    Ah, I see, haven't had the pleasure of playing Tekken 3.

So what are the tuls in Tekken 4 then at the end of the game? There are 2!

i hav'int seen Tek4 :(

back about 15 years ago when I was only a laddie of a teen. Mu Gen Do was big then and one of the head guys Pedar Majic from croatia, used to come over and do seminars.

Back then kickboxing was the big thing. Prof George Canning used to bring him over.

He had some really effective ways of punching and parrying,apparently he was trained by some famous Russian boxing coach back in the red block days. Canning rates him very highly as a puncher.

Unfortunately I was bored out of my tree at it but thats another story. Got a nice certificate out of it.
    And isn't that the point? :)

Paul, I wouldn't say that €50 per day was any guideline as to be honest this is the first two-dayer I've been to.
    It does seem as though €30 seems to be average for one day though. I'd probably pay more for someone good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Did a 1-day Silat Seminar in Dublin recently, cost about 35-40 euro, which covered;

* Knife work
    * Sword
    * Ground fighting
    * Grading

1 instructor from Dublin, 2 travelled down from Northern Ireland, the hall was rented.

Advertisement