Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

des kelly.... why???

Options
  • 04-02-2005 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

Ok, I got an email from a friend telling about some company spamming her company inbox promoting that they did the website for Des Kelly and they could produce the same type of site for her company (also a furniture company) for 1,500 yoyo's. I decided to check them out.....

www.deskellyinteriors.ie

I think the site is crap... in my honest opinion! I don't know how old it is but still... I think poor auld Des has made enough money over the past few years to at least be able to afford a decent ecommerce website... never mind that, a decent graphic designer. I checked out the company who set the whole thing up... www.4u.ie :o oh dear!!! :confused:

Anyway, just had to share this and get peoples opinions! :)

Keep it real... :cool:

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Shoddy website for a shoddy excuse ..... doesn't surprise me in the least.
    I think Powercity's website is funny too www.powercity.ie ;) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

300K animated gif in the top right.

OOOOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I don't think the mods will like a bitching session about des kelly and his service. I'm sure we all have our stories!!! I just couldn't believe the site when I saw it.

Would you really buy something and trust putting your CC info on that site! :confused:

It's the likes of 4u.ie giving a bad name to the web design industry.... shaddy characters!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

dear sweet blue jesus, my eyes, my beautiful eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Ph3n0m wrote:
    dear sweet blue jesus, my eyes, my beautiful eyes
    lol :)

I downloaded this page and all it's graphics to see what it was:

http://4u.ie/shop/catalog/default.php?cPath=57

Total - 700kb :eek: :confused:

on a 56k modem, downloading at a full speed of 7kb/s, that's going to take a whole 1min 40secs.... holy carol singers, bat man!!!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

And the site is just a customised installation of osCommerce, the open source PHP online store software. Good software.
    Since they are using open source software that is probably why they can offer the price relatively cheap (and still make good profit).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

daymobrew wrote:
    Since they are using open source software that is probably why they can offer the price relatively cheap (and still make good profit).
    A lot of companies use open source software. It has very little to do with being able to offer things "relatively cheap" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

That des kelly banner wins my award for 'Most horribly aliased logo ever devised' ... looks like someone drew it on an etch-o-sketch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

Oh my god, I couldn't even stay on that website!! Peeko Productions will offer them a much better site! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

my god 1500 euros for that, terrible graphics and whoever did the powercity one hasn't a clue about image compression, one of the pictures was 300kb and it looked more like 5kb, less even, and i remember downloading that menu bar from dynamicdrive.com about 4 years ago when i did my first webby for a friend in college with frontpage!

edit:// sorry 30kb but still very big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I had a meeting with the kelly guys and told them how bad it was.... They didn;t listen tome though. They thought it was the best thing since sliced bread..... Needless to say I didn;t get the online marketing contract either... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

if there are people willing to pay 1500 for that, im gonna make a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

well 4u.ie - now that's bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I hate to say this but 4u.ie is doing what most unsuccessful people want to be doing - earning money from websites they have created.

They created the Des Kelly website, obviously with input from Des Kelly, in other words they gave the customer exactly what he/she wants - which is vital especially since there are still customers out there pig-ignorant in relation to websites, etc, and there will always be an individual or company willing to use that to their advantage.

It isnt shoddy business practice, they have simply exposed a flaw in the way of thinking of some companies.

Whilst the site they have made is disgusting from a pure usability and asthetic point of view - they have made their money from it, so they really dont give a rats ass.

It basically doest matter if you can create the next Mona Lisa style website - if you have no client willing to use it, then whats the point.

I am not condoning the idea of going out and selling butt ugly websites to ignorant business owners, but as I was once told, the majority of business owners going for websites for the very first time, or over 50 and completely ignorant, apart from what they have seen and heard, and that is often the wrong kind of information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

A quick google revealled this page -

http://www.councillors.ie/cl_detailG.asp?loc=sd

and the email address and postal address of one of them at the bottom seems strangely familar...

Could this be a councillors son/daughter? Could there be 'Vote for me and I'll do you a website?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I hate to say this but 4u.ie is doing what most unsuccessful people want to be doing - earning money from websites they have created.

They created the Des Kelly website, obviously with input from Des Kelly, in other words they gave the customer exactly what he/she wants - which is vital especially since there are still customers out there pig-ignorant in relation to websites, etc, and there will always be an individual or company willing to use that to their advantage.

It isnt shoddy business practice, they have simply exposed a flaw in the way of thinking of some companies.

Whilst the site they have made is disgusting from a pure usability and asthetic point of view - they have made their money from it, so they really dont give a rats ass.

It basically doest matter if you can create the next Mona Lisa style website - if you have no client willing to use it, then whats the point.

I am not condoning the idea of going out and selling butt ugly websites to ignorant business owners, but as I was once told, the majority of business owners going for websites for the very first time, or over 50 and completely ignorant, apart from what they have seen and heard, and that is often the wrong kind of information

this end user input hardly happened here and page layout looks more coincidental then actually planed. I do not expect miracles when looking at website design but this one is poor.

Advertisement