Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What static ip to set

Options
  • 04-02-2005 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I just set 10.0.0.n where n is 1--> total number of people.
    What does it matter what ip range I set, if I want to share printers and internet do I need a specific range?

you know the way broadband has an ethnet cable, can I plug that into my switch to get broadband on all computers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

you know the way broadband has an ethnet cable, can I plug that into my switch to get broadband on all computers?

In short, yes.
    You need to decide whether this broadband router will provide DHCP services to your network (automatically allocate IP, Gateway and DNS settings to your computers/network devices) or whether you need to manually add every address to every device.

Otherwise you have to set the routers ip to one of your 10's addresses, and set it's ip as the gateway on all of your internet enabled PCs.

Router will probably default to a 192.168.x.y subnet, and start allocating addresses from 192.168.x.100, depending on what device you actually have.

Most routers will allow you to choose the DHCP range to allocate so you can have
    Router at 192.168.x.1 or 254,
    network equipment, servers and network printers using static IPs between 2-99
    DHCP/ Laptop 100-250 or whatever, allocated on demand or based on their network cards MAC address.

What does it matter what ip range I set, if I want to share printers and internet do I need a specific range?

For a simple network, you just need to make sure that all your devices are on the same subnet, that the subnet is an internal one, and that there are no duplicate ip addresses.

"
    •We recommend that you use RFC 1918 IP addresses for inside and perimeter addresses. These addresses follow:

–Class A: 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    –Class B: 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    –Class C: 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
    –Class D: 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255
    "

Advertisement