Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install Builder

Options
  • 04-02-2005 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Install Builder

Can someone recommend a freeware install builder i.e a free "installshield" or "installanywhere". or msi.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Ain't tried this buuuuut:

http://www.download.com/Inno-Setup/3000-2216_4-10357760.html?tag=lst-0-4

MIGHT be what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Might help if you say what for? (OS/language).

Most IDE's come with install toolkits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[minirant] I hate installshield or any uninstall routine that asks the end user what they want to do with dll's - at least have an option that says
    delete all the dll's in the program folder , but don't touch the system folder (recomended) [/rant]

I saw a batch file on the web once to do install - can't find the link again.
    very easy - copied the files to the right place and uploaded reg settings to.
    there were some utils like regmon to go with it but ages since I saw it.
    the beauty was totally transparent install and uninstall cos you could look at the batch files and reg files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iKeano

cheers steveland? will give it a go

i'm using windows, and the language shouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Try the Nullsoft Installer. Its free and open source and was started by the lads who wrote winamp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

at least have an option that says
    delete all the dll's in the program folder , but don't touch the system folder (recomended)

Installshield can do that.

NSIS (above) has some limitations, but those things it does it does very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

iKeano wrote:
    i'm using windows, and the language shouldn't matter.

Shouldn't but it does. For example if it was Java then you can build and package using ANT (to zips/RPM/Tar).

If it is a Windows binary, then you tend to need a windows installer or a more professional package.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Talliesin wrote:
    Installshield can do that.
    The rant is in too many cases it does not leaving end users looking a scary message. Compare that to the install routing on MAC's or things like apt-get there are way to many "click next 5 times" install routines in windows.
    Installers should have a fast track button - "I've read the license, install defaults"

Advertisement