Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent'98 checkup

Options
  • 04-02-2005 1:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hiya!

I have a Hyundai Accent'98 and it takes far too much petrol (15-20l per 100km) and the engine makes a funny chirping sound (louder every week). I called the Hyundai Service to ask them how much it would cost to check it and tell me what exactly was wrong with it... and they told me €75 without even starting the job. Would anyone know any garage able to check and hopefully fix my car for a more affordable price? I'm Dublin based, South, but don't mind travelling North for that purpose. AFAIC the funny birdy sound is usually made by a belt of some sort.

This is my first message on boards.ie so be merciful and help :>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The chirping sound is deffo a belt, I dunno your car but no doubt it has a drive belt (rather than chain) somewhere, chirpping is usually the result of the belt not spinning smoothly on my car it was due to a "wobble" on a pulley wheel.

Any competent garage can discover whats casuing high fuel consumption.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭MagDee

Great! Thanks! Now, would you know of any affordable garages? It is my first car in Ireland and I only checked with Hyundai Service and I'd hate to let someone picked up in Golden Pages to mess with my car and be charged for it €1,000 and still have it not fixed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

MagDee wrote:
    Hiya!

I have a Hyundai Accent'98 and it takes far too much petrol (15-20l per 100km) and the engine makes a funny chirping sound (louder every week). I called the Hyundai Service to ask them how much it would cost to check it and tell me what exactly was wrong with it... and they told me €75 without even starting the job. Would anyone know any garage able to check and hopefully fix my car for a more affordable price? I'm Dublin based, South, but don't mind travelling North for that purpose. AFAIC the funny birdy sound is usually made by a belt of some sort.

This is my first message on boards.ie so be merciful and help :>
    Pm me i know a man that will look after you if you are in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

20 litre to a 100 km :eek: . Do you have a locking petrol cap? Is your neighbour over friendly? The only way your gonna use this type of fuel, is a leak! If your engine was using that amount of fuel your rear bumber would be melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

stratos wrote:
    20 litre to a 100 km :eek: . Do you have a locking petrol cap? Is your neighbour over friendly? The only way your gonna use this type of fuel, is a leak! If your engine was using that amount of fuel your rear bumber would be melted.

or the cat will be toast by now

• Advertisement

i never found any leaks... is it possible that it vapourates or something? no, no friendly neighbours (well, no neighbours I could trust with my car). that's why I'm looking for a mechanic or somebody who would be kind enough to take a look at this car for me. I have a locking petrol cap and this car was always taking a lot of petrol but now more. maybe it's winter. a thermostat (whatever the name is in english) has been changed couple of months ago and the scale showing the temperature was broken when I bought the car. I don't know why I ahve a feeling that it might be something to do with the car still thinking it's cold even then it's warm already and taking more petrol all the time, not only when I start the cold engine.

Gosh it is SO hard to be clear and understood when you're talking about something you don't know anything wbout in a language that is not your own :)

MagDee wrote:
    i never found any leaks... is it possible that it vapourates or something? no, no friendly neighbours (well, no neighbours I could trust with my car). that's why I'm looking for a mechanic or somebody who would be kind enough to take a look at this car for me. I have a locking petrol cap and this car was always taking a lot of petrol but now more. maybe it's winter. a thermostat (whatever the name is in english) has been changed couple of months ago and the scale showing the temperature was broken when I bought the car. I don't know why I ahve a feeling that it might be something to do with the car still thinking it's cold even then it's warm already and taking more petrol all the time, not only when I start the cold engine.

Gosh it is SO hard to be clear and understood when you're talking about something you don't know anything wbout in a language that is not your own :)

does it drive right and is it smooth?

just couple of days ago I noticed that on second gear it is not as smooth as it was month or 2 ago.. a bit jumpy, my feeling is that it chokes a little on the petrol. when i accelerate very slowly it is a bit jumpy alright. otherwise it drives well.

highly unlikly its consuming 3 times the petrol it should and run. there must be a leak somewhere. does the coolant gauge indicaate normal temperatures or is it stuck on cold. do u smell fuel outside?

the gauge goes 1/3 way up and stays there no matter how long I drive or if I'm stuck in traffic. and yes, I'd say there is a hint of fuel smell outside and inside. but how can there be any leaks if I don't see anything on the ground while driving away?

• Advertisement
Advertisement