Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Clio 1.2

Options
  • 04-02-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, last week I had a thread about Peugeot 206's, and this is along similar lines. Having visited all the local dealers, one car in particular seems to meet all my criteria - price range, age, model, condition, etc.

The car in question is a '98 Renault Clio 1.2, 5 doors with ~65000 miles on the clock. It is VERY clean looking inside and out, and without a scratch. Comes with immobiliser, power steering, alloy wheels, 4 new tyres, radio/casette, airbags, etc. Colour is dark blue.

Anyways, dealer has a price on the window of €4250, but has offered it to me for €4000 cash. (i'm not trading anything in, this would be my first car)

Do ye think I could get him to knock another couple of hundred euros off the price? Any tips before I part with hard earned (er... borrowed) cash?

Cheers

Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I got one last year for 3750 with 27000 miles on the clock. Make sure you get new tyres cos the handling is woeful.

A 98 that is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Thanks for the info! :)

The car is sitting on 4 shiny new tyres.

Speaking of tyres, I had a look at a '96 golf 1.4 petrol in a local VW dealer yesterday... 4 BALD tyres, NCT and tax due next month, and the engine sounded more like a diesel than a petrol. Plus the sales guy said it had 88000 miles on it, yet the clock read 68000. I'm staying the hell away from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you looked at any others like this, to judge if you are getting a good deal or not? Might be worth checking out others to get a good idea of the asking prices before making a serious offer.

I would still expect to get a few quid knocked off that price, maybe €3,800 and a tank of petrol.

You are in a great position, cash in your hand, no trade-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's sod all else around here (kilkenny), most used cars in the dealers' lots are of 2001-2003 vintage. Clios of the same age are going for asking prices between €3950 and €5000 in autotrader/cbg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

You could wisely spend that €250 he is knocking off and get a mechanic from the AA to have a look at it - sounds a little expensiveto me.

The driving position is crap in the clio. The seat is up too high. So if you're tall like me, you won't see out much unless you bend you neck a bit after which it get's slightly uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Give these guys a shout - they are Renault dealers fairly near you and have a high turnover of stock.

M Sidney & Son Motors
    Marsh Meadows
    New Ross
    Co Wexford
    Tel: 051 421415
    Fax: 051 422855

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

look around and compare on cbg.ie there should be loads of clios around, they are très popular! or an idea is to ring around a few garages and ask them the trade in value on 'your to be' clio is on new car.

is he going to change the timing belt & water pump (both costly and very important jobs) for that price and what sort of warrenty is going to give. how long before NCT, is there tax left on the car - all these things add up..

reckon you have good haggling power, you have cash and no trade in - don't be afriad to walk away if you are not getting what you want.

Advertisement