Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help for newbie

• 04-02-2005 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Please forgive my ignorance, but I haver some questions re: wireless/wi-fi etc

Basically we have a family computer downstairs connected to eircom broadband through a regular (non-wireless) modem.

I am planning on buying a laptop and want to be able to use it anywhere in the house.

What do I need to do this?
    I presume I need wireless modem? wifi gadget? wireless card for laptop?

Could someone give me info about what I need?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Alot of laptops have built in wireless card nowadays. You have 3 choices, by a pci wireless network card, Buy a wireless access point or a wireless router, which i would go for the wireless router,just connect the modem to the router and your off more or less

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

saharzie wrote:
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I haver some questions re: wireless/wi-fi etc

Basically we have a family computer downstairs connected to eircom broadband through a regular (non-wireless) modem.

I am planning on buying a laptop and want to be able to use it anywhere in the house.

What do I need to do this?
    I presume I need wireless modem? wifi gadget? wireless card for laptop?

Could someone give me info about what I need?

cheers

Some general info - http://www.linksys.com/edu/

http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/08/07645391/0764539108.pdf

Most laptops nowadays should come with a wireless card so why not make sure that you get one that has a card?

You then need to add wireless obviously - you can do this by replacing your modem completely with a combined wirelss router/modem - this means only one set of settings - they have come down in price but Netgear 834g or linksys wag54g will cost you about 120 euros.

Or you can add a wireless router to your modem bit more fiddly to set up and a little cheaper again linksys netgear dlink all have models.

(There is a sticke on routers in the Broadband forum - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108420)

If you can get by with connecting your pc by cable to the router then you will not need a pci wirelss card for the pc. If you need one they are usually about 50 euros.

If you buy the stuff over the web you will probably save a few bob but on the other hand if everything is new to you might be worth going to a good shop and getting a bit of advice. If you are in Dublin IT Direct in Parliament St usually have a fair stock of wireless stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Another newbie question on this very subject...

I have ntl cable.. and a cable modem.. its going to my Netgear gateway router RT314..

It has 4 slots... so I have two pcs hooked up to it.

I have myself now a HP nx7010 laptop with wireless...

What do I buy to allow me to sit down stairs surrfing away? I obviously dont want to go wireless every thing and want to keep my old set up.. just want to add the lap top?

Help?

You could buy an access point an plug that into your router. Or you could replace your router with a wifi/router, and sell your current router. I use a netgear WGR614 with my NTL connection. I plug the NTL modem into that. Cost me about €100 in IT Direct on parliament street. Its €150 in PC world.

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

The Linksys "yoke" you have chosen is a bundle of router and wifi PC card - your laptop already has wireless capability, so you don't need the PC card.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hi,

i am new to this wireless networking too and trying to down the same road as above with one home pc and wishing to add my laptop via wireless.
    just one small question i have the below linked laptop and does it have wireless already upgradeable with a pci card or do i need a pci card to get wireless?

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/selected_product_option.jsp?service=UK&PRODUCT_ID=65866&DISC_MODEL=0
    Thanks

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

OK I have the NTL 1.5mbps connection connected by USB with their own modem - I'm getting a Dell laptop with a wireless card (the b/g one) - if I get one of these Linksys (or something similar) is it just a matter of plugging the router into it, setting up the details, and then magically getting internet on the laptop elsewhere in the house, or am I missing something obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

OK I have the NTL 1.5mbps connection connected by USB with their own modem - I'm getting a Dell laptop with a wireless card (the b/g one) - if I get one of these Linksys (or something similar) is it just a matter of plugging the router into it, setting up the details, and then magically getting internet on the laptop elsewhere in the house, or am I missing something obvious?

if your modem is only usb then you either need to get a modem router combined or an ethernet modem and a router

you cant plug your usb modem into the router directly you need a modem with an ethernet connection

• Advertisement

shltter wrote:
    if your modem is only usb then you either need to get a modem router combined or an ethernet modem and a router

you cant plug your usb modem into the router directly you need a modem with an ethernet connection

Pretty sure the NTL modem has an ethernet connection at the back too, so I need to plug the modem into the router via that, and the PC connects to the router with an ethernet cable too, I assume?

Pretty sure the NTL modem has an ethernet connection at the back too, so I need to plug the modem into the router via that, and the PC connects to the router with an ethernet cable too, I assume?

Correct. Thats how I have it conected.

Correct. Thats how I have it conected.

Went down to itdirect to get one and the guy there gave me tales of woe about setting these things up, and said a Netgear DG834g would be better as it contains the modem too etc. Of course it's also €50 dearer.

Is he right on the difficulties of setup and also as it mentions ADSL specifically, will it work on a cable connection anyway?

to set up the router connect it via an ethernet cable once you have it set up

you can connect via a wireless pci card or usb card to the pc you dont have to use an ethernet cable then you can move your pc around the house

Went down to itdirect to get one and the guy there gave me tales of woe about setting these things up, and said a Netgear DG834g would be better as it contains the modem too etc. Of course it's also €50 dearer.

Is he right on the difficulties of setup and also as it mentions ADSL specifically, will it work on a cable connection anyway?

I didn't have any problem setting mine up very straight forward
    i have set up another since then no problems i used a router both times and kept the old modem more wires but cheaper

as for the modem i dont know i guess you would need a cable modem

Mine was simple to set up and I know nothing about it. I have a Netgear wireless router WGR614 and the NTL cable modem. Hooked up it up, enabled the WPA encryption. I mucked around the settings a few times, but you can reset the router and start again.

My understanding is that NTL is cable broadband not ADSL. Therefore you need a a cable modem. ADSL is the wrong type of modem for NTL.

Theres nothing wrong with the NTL modem, so why not use it. Especially as you don't pay for it.

Advertisement