Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavy bags/punch bags

• 04-02-2005 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭

Who here owns a heavy bag (free standing or hanging) or knows anything about them. If you own a bag, how do you train with it - what sort of strikes and combos, duration and intensity of bag sessions etc.

The bag I have is an "Olympus" bag which is made of canvas and filled with rags. It's small and light (20 kg and 3 feet tall) It's OK but I'd like to get something better and heavier.

The main problem that I see with a lot of the bags on the market including mine is that they are a bit light and tend to swing around a lot. The other problem with rag filled bags is that the rags settle to the bottom of the bag resulting in the top of the bag becoming saggy and soft and the bottom becoming rock hard.

From what I've been reading, bags filled with water and foam are much better however I don't know of anywhere in Ireland/UK that sells these, anyone know of any suppliers? Here's an example of this type of bag:
    http://store.titleboxing.com/powfoamwathe.html

BrianD3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I'd say you're lucky to have a canvas bag. My Da had one for years and had it refilled a couple of times. It only gave up the ghost about ten years ago after near 30 years service!
    20kg is light alright though, 40kg is about standard.

If you don't have your bag permanently hanging, you could try storing it upside down to avoid settling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was given a present of a 40 kg bag ( I don't know what it's filled with), the problem is that I have nowhere to hang it as I live in an attic conversion in an old house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

i'd love one of these to wail on, but i'd have no where to hang it too.
    I'd probably split it with my massive punching power anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I hang mine from from a rafter in the garage. It's not ideal as the wooden beam does tend to shake a lot when I hit the bag. Maybe if I got a heavier water/foam filled bag the bag and rafter would move less. Apparently, water filled bags move less as the bag deforms when you hit it, whereas with cloth or sand filled bags the bag "jumps" and then swings.

One of the best places to look at various bags is actually amazon.com. Loads of choice there, but shipping a heavy bag from the US would be a bit of hassle. Most bags seem to be around 40-70 pounds or 20-30 kilos. So a 40 kilo bag is actually pretty heavy.

Heavier bags on amazon.com are 90-150 pounds and there is the odd one that is 200+ pounds.

For those with nowhere to hang a bag, there are free standing bags available But having tried one of these I prefer a normal hanging bag. Found it hard to get a nice rhythm going with the free standing bag.

BrianD3

Advertisement