Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Speedo Dials

Options
  • 04-02-2005 6:34pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My father is on the lookout for a 2 or 3 year old focus. However, he doesn't want to buy a car that cannot be converted to kms easily, so-
    a) is it possible to replace the dial on the speedo easily?
    b) is the odometer digital & can it be converted to kms by the stealer?

Strangely, despite the mph/km conversion being on the cards for some months now, many places still selling new focuses (or is the plural foci?) that had mph instrument clusters. These cars had 05 reg plates on them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

kbannon wrote:
    My father is on the lookout for a 2 or 3 year old focus. However, he doesn't want to buy a car that cannot be converted to kms easily, so-

Strangely, despite the mph/km conversion being on the cards for some months now, many places still selling new focuses (or is the plural foci?) that had mph instrument clusters. These cars had 05 reg plates on them!

Go Metric Go Safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I don't know about the Focus but I rang up to find out about converting my Dad's mondeo to KPH, the guy did not have a clue what was involved. You'd swear I was the first person who had rang up inquiring(this was a Ford main dealer I was ringin)
    Anyway a few mins later he comes back with an approx figure of €300!! Just to change the dials to km, talk about ridiculous!

kbannon wrote:

There is nothing wrong with this, as long as they also have kmph on them, the government cannot force a company (in this case ford) to remove the mph clusters by law.All that ford have to do is have readable kmph speedos aswell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is nothing wrong with this, as long as they also have kmph on them, the government cannot force a company (in this case ford) to remove the mph clusters by law.All that ford have to do is have readable kmph speedos aswell.
    Im not saying that they have to. Im expressing surprise that they expect some dipshít to walk in and take a brand new car off them which doesn't have the 'better type' gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The old model Focus is the only one that should have mph/kph on the speedo. Any unsold ones in showrooms are like this because they were built last year and as the new Focus was only weeks away it was not worth changing the old model. The new Focus should be kph only. If it isn't then I would expect the stealer to change it free of charge. I have heard of 05 Renualt Megans still having mph but I have heard that the stealers are converting these free of charge.

As for retro fitting a kph speedo in a 2/3 year old Focus, you probably could by buying a speedo from an online spare parts store from the Continent or E-bay and have someone fit it for you here. But is it really worth spending that kind of money and going to that much effort? The odometer and the fuel computer can be changed by connecting it up to a computer at your local Ford stealer. Again is it worth the cost and effort?

I just read the kph dials on the inside of the speedo and ignore the mph one. The fuel computer can be changed from mpg to kpg by pressing a button. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement