Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Payment via Bank Draf

Options
  • 04-02-2005 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've just recived a rather unusual e-mail from a guy in France wanting to buy my Scooter which I've been trying to sell for the last few months. He said that he wants to buy the Bike and ship it himself. When he offered to pay by Bank Draft I became even more suspious.

This is the second time I have been made an offer via e-mail, before Christmas a guy claiming to have recently moved to Libya wanted to buy the bike by cheque and ship it with the contence of his house but I have'nt heard from him since I made it clear that I would'nt release the Bike until I got the Cheque cleared at my bank.

Has this happened to anyone else here and if so what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

its a scam
    the draft will never clear
    they take 10 days
    at which stage your bike is gone
    sometimes they send you a draft for extra and ask you to send back the change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Chalk wrote:
    its a scam
    the draft will never clear
    they take 10 days
    at which stage your bike is gone
    sometimes they send you a draft for extra and ask you to send back the change too.

sometimes the draught clears and then a week later the bank take the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

dceire wrote:
    I've just recived a rather unusual e-mail from a guy in France wanting to buy my Scooter which I've been trying to sell for the last few months. He said that he wants to buy the Bike and ship it himself. When he offered to pay by Bank Draft I became even more suspious.

This is the second time I have been made an offer via e-mail, before Christmas a guy claiming to have recently moved to Libya wanted to buy the bike by cheque and ship it with the contence of his house but I have'nt heard from him since I made it clear that I would'nt release the Bike until I got the Cheque cleared at my bank.

Has this happened to anyone else here and if so what happened?

scam scam scam..... he will come up with some story about needing extra money for something.... the bank draft will be twice what you need for the bike , and you have to send the rest back by western union....then the bank draft bounces...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another scam is that they get your address and take the car/bike/moped. Do you really believe that he can't find a decent moped in France and he has to look over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I was watching a program about scams the other night. The scammers sell fools lists. If you fall for them once, you go on the list, and they squeeze you untill you cop on. It's an international business. They asked a scammer if one country was more vulnerable than others. He laughed and right out, said omg yea the u.k. The Irish are well used to being scammed at home what hope had outsiders got ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Absolutely. It's a Scam!! Do NOT even reply to the mails or make it absolutely clear that you will INSIST on the cheque to be cleared by your bank.

I get one of these mails every so often for some of the cars I have on the website. Just the fact that someone mails you and tells you they will buy your car/scooter/whatever without even making any sort of enquiries about it or at least tries to haggle a bit off... is suspicious to say the least.

The jist of it is that they want to pay you for the car/scooter/motorcycle PLUS the costs for the person that is supposedly coming to pick it up, with the polite request to cash the cheque and pay the transporter when he comes to collect...

One time I just played along with it to find out what would happen, and they did send me a cheque through the mail, a courier service even!, but the guy from the courier service already warned me about the content, but I aldready knew it was a fake. The cheque for 5,000 euro was indeed a terrible fake ! It was a simple colourprinter copy of an English draft, that was very easily spotted as a fake. But unfortunately if you wouldn't be suspecting anything and would trust the cheque to be in order, you could stand to loose a lot of money!!!

Advertisement