Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding mileage to a new Odometer?

Options
  • 04-02-2005 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I have aquired a brand-new Km/h speedo.
    My old one is reading 160K miles
    The new one has 44km on it , I need to add a fair bit of mileage to the new speedo to be accurate how does one add miles to a speedo when there is no cable? Obviously electronic signals are used to make the speedo work but what kind of signal and how do I generate one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

More than likley the mileage is not held in the instrument panel, more likley in the ecu or somewhere else. I saw this before with a friend of mine, he bought a new panel abroad. When he connected it up to the car it displayed the cars real mileage. so maybe your car will be the same. Other than that contact the "recalibration people" hhhmmm maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it is a digital odometer then it could be possible to change it with a laptop computer via some sort of serial port and special software, but it is illegal to do this and I am in no way encouraging it. wink.gif

Also car makers are making it harder for odometers to be tampered with these days. Some even go back to zero if tampered with.

It does bring up an interesting question though about used cars for sale, retro fitted with kph speedos, are the kilometers on the odometer geniune or have they been changed with the speedo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hire a milage recalbrator/"clocker" i am sure he will oblige u for 100euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why bother changing the milage at all?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the advice.
    I suppose that I could just give the purchaser the old speedo and tell him that this was the correct mileage when I changed the speedo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement