Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuirt na Coiribe vs Gort na Coiribe

• 04-02-2005 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea which is the better student accommodation: Cuirt na Coiribe, or Gort na Coiribe?
    They're both in practically the same location, roughly the same price (Although Cuirt have taken the prices off of their website... maybe/probably there's going to be an increase) and both look fairly decent from their websites. I've only been in Cuirt, looks impressive, but I don't know anybody living in Gort. So any comments/reccommendations are welcome.

Going into 2nd year by the way (In NUIG, obviously), willing to spend about €95 per week for single en-suite.And I know it's insanely early, but I missed out on both of these last year since they filled up in February/March. Parents aren't too keen on getting a private house, they're paying so I'm not going to argue...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

What's the name of the place where each building contain 4 apartments and they have complete glass fronts? I don't have a clue how it's spelled but it's pronounced "Gert na Curba". That place is unreal craic, nothing like it, altough i don't know what the facilities are like cos i've never lived there. i believe this place may be for first years only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

What's the name of the place where each building contain 4 apartments and they have complete glass fronts? I don't have a clue how it's spelled but it's pronounced "Gert na Curba". That place is unreal craic, nothing like it, altough i don't know what the facilities are like cos i've never lived there. i believe this place may be for first years only.

Complete glass fronts and four apartments in a block sounds like Corrib Village (off Newcastle road, loads of brightly coloured blocks, looks a bit run down), the NUIG on campus accommodation. Pretty lively in there, but really just for first years. Gort na Coiribe and Cuirt na Coiribe are both on the same spot - right opposite Dunnes in Terryland. Cuirt is the big white place in the middle, surrounded to the right (as your coming through the main entrance on the headford road) by red brick townhouses/appartments (Gort) and on the left by more houses (Dun).
    Corrib isn't an option (if that's where you're talking about), it's really down to Gort or Cuirt. Just a matter of finding out which is better really...

Yes Corrib Village! that place is class.

Yes Corrib Village! that place is class.

Class for first year, definetly. Class for second year, probably not. Unless you like being surrounded by first years, in whcih case it'd be class. I think Gort/Cuirt na Coiribe/Dunaras/Menlo/private house is the way to go for 2nd year onwards.

[Edit]And how the feck does "Corrib Village" sound like "Gort na Coiribe"??? Apart from the "corrib"/"coiribe" similarities...[/Edit]

sorry i got Gort na Coiribe and Corrib Village mixed up.

I hear Gort na Coiribe is the way to go as far as facillities and comforts etc. Altough the craic that goes on in Corrib wouldn't be happening there; no drinking cans on the street, house parties till 6am etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

I didn't think Cuirt Na Coirbe was built yet? i only ever heard of Gort..... anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Altough the craic that goes on in Corrib wouldn't be happening there; no drinking cans on the street, house parties till 6am etc.
    Because most of the people living there are old enough to get into pubs and clubs by second year.

Ruadan wrote:
    I didn't think Cuirt Na Coirbe was built yet? i only ever heard of Gort..... anyway.

Cuirt is definetly built - it's been open since September 2004. It's the block facing you as you drive in, straight ahead, white, very well lit up at night. Looks impressive, but I've put my name down for Gort today. Seems to be a bit less strict than Cuirt if a little less impressive looking. Still better than Corrib though... even if it does involve having to cross the Quincentennial every feckin' day.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

[thorny issue] THE STEPS! [/thorny issue]

Ruadan wrote:
    [thorny issue] THE STEPS! [/thorny issue]

The steps AND facing the wind/Rain/all of the above every bloody day. I've missed so many lectures over that feckin' brigde...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Did you find out if you got your place? I heard from them the other day, I got my single room but it's really tiny...

bedroom.JPG

Cathy wrote:
    Did you find out if you got your place? I heard from them the other day, I got my single room but it's really tiny...

Yeah, I rang them up - I know I've got a single room, but it's in a house with 3 singles and a twin. There are three floors, two singles on the first floor and a single and a twin on the second floor. So I'm thinking that the one on the second floor will be smaller than the two on the first floor (since the twin will be taking up more room), but they won't tell me which single room I'm in.

Being on the second floor would probably mean a bigger room (and a bathroom shared between two people versus three), but there's probably be a lot more noise from up-stairs/down-stairs too. Being on the second floor would mean a smaller room and sharing a bathroom with an extra person... but it'd be quieter.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. [Even though I probably wont get a chance to chose, since I won't be back from my J1 until September 2nd...]

You're in the same kind of house as me then. I'm on the floor with the twin, so I have the smallest single room. The two singles on the other floor are way bigger.
    They told me which room I was in when I emailed them, if you ring and pester them they'll tell you. Also, I'm confused about the floors - is the second floor the top floor and the first floor the middle floor? Because the twin room and single room are on the second floor in the plans I found here: http://www.omalley-construction.ie/pdf/gortnaco.pdf , but I was told that they're on the first floor.
    Anyway, you're stuck with whatever room you're in now, they won't change.

Cathy wrote:
    They told me which room I was in when I emailed them, if you ring and pester them they'll tell you. Also, I'm confused about the floors - is the second floor the top floor and the first floor the middle floor? Because the twin room and single room are on the second floor in the plans I found here: http://www.omalley-construction.ie/pdf/gortnaco.pdf , but I was told that they're on the first floor.
    Anyway, you're stuck with whatever room you're in now, they won't change.

I downloaded the same plans when I was booking - second floor = top floor, first floor = middle floor. I'll fire off an e-mail to them now, see which one I'm in.

This year I'm in a single room with a double bed and an en suite, fairly big, so it's going to be crappy going from this into a cramped single with 3 people to a bathroom...

Will they give you house numbers aswell? It'd be handy to be near the outside.

Yeah, she'll give you the number if you ask - I had mine last week. 3 people to a bathroom is fine - this year I'm in Corrib Village, anything's an improvement! :)

Cathy wrote:
    Yeah, she'll give you the number if you ask - I had mine last week. 3 people to a bathroom is fine - this year I'm in Corrib Village, anything's an improvement! :)

I e-mailed them and just asked what number I'm in and what room... hoepfully they should reply sometime next week? Still don't know what room I'd prefer though, so I guess it doesn't really make much difference what I get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GoldenGirl*

Hey guys I noticed u all tlkn bout gort na coiribe and was wonderin if its the best place to go?! I know it cud b hard to get a place der now but I ve sent an e mail just incase...Also if I dnt get der hav u ne recommendations 4 me?! I m repeatin my leavin at d mo n hav finally decided wat i wnt 2 do so I chose galway but I m really not keen on the sound of corrib village!! also i ll b comin up all on by mineself frm dublin so i d like sumwer sociable... without 2 many rules etc ne ideas?! tanx!!

Private accomodation or digs.

I m repeatin my leavin at d mo n hav finally decided wat i wnt 2 do so I chose galway but I m really not keen on the sound of corrib village!! also i ll b comin up all on by mineself frm dublin so i d like sumwer sociable... without 2 many rules etc ne ideas?! tanx!!

Well Gort is booked out - you can go in someday next week (not too sure what date it is - think it's next Tuesday - could be wrong) and queue to get your name put on a waiting list. Although it's doubtful that you'll get a place at this stage - plus you need to pay a €635(roughly) deposit - which means you probably can't put a deposit on anywhere else.
    Corrib Village doesn't sound great - but if you can't get in anywhere else, I'd definetly recommend it - it's close to college and your social life will be a lot better in Corrib than anywhere else in first year. It's definetly not somewhere you'd go back to after first year (partly because it's just full of first years), but it's grand for first year - although it's expensive.
    If you're not looking for rules, then stay away from Cuirt na Coiribe. Maybe try Dunaras (opposite side of town to gort and cuirt, a bit to far out and not as sociable as the other places) or Menlo Park (just past Gort, but the extra 5 minutes walk is a bitch - better rooms than gort and coiribe, less rent).
    If you don't know anybody down here, then try to get in a house/apartment with other people in your situation - it's usually easier to meet people when none of you know each other.

I'd say Corrib Village rather than digs or private accommodation, if you're coming up on your own. It's not four star accommodation, but I've survived it :)
    You'll at least get to meet a few people, and it is close to college. It only takes a few minutes to get in in the morning, particularly if you have a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

corrib village is the best for first year(yea im there....) good fun meet loads of ppl etc(3 buildings of 20 ppl each right beside each other and you will probably meet your best friends from college there, i have.)
    it's really close to the college and they try and match you up with people from your course etc.
    2nd year on, private accom. is the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

For a first year corrib village is probably the best place.

Private houses in galway can be bad to say the least, but they are relatively cheap (going rate should be €60/week and any bills incurred on top of this)..

Corrib village is usually perfect for first years - on campus, always nicely heated, and plenty of craic. Also very good for making friends and all that kind of stuff..

2 words:
    Contraceptive.
    Couches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lol the amount of times i've heard those words is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

definitely go to corrib village. practically all first years go there. its no problem that you're going on your own, thats the best way to do it.

im in cuirt na coiribe now, its nice but very strict, especially in rag week, so i applied to gort but its booked out. so im going back to cuirt now, i know deyre spaces left. actually, im heading down to reception after this post to book it! 700 euro deposit and you can get the form on the website i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GoldenGirl*

Well I heard u can ring up gort next tues n try n get a place so im gona try dat 1st I think!! Im sure corrib village wud b gud but I d feel a bit old goin der r sumtin!I m sure newer i stay will have its gud points tho I cnt wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Well, I wish you luck with Gort, but your chances are slim. However I really must advise you to give Corrib a chance. Its not luxurious but it certainy is a lot of fun, as for feeling too old, I knew loads of guys who were 20-21 back in the day. They say schooldays are the best days of your life, but I can say with confidence that I will never live as well again as I did there. I met loads of people there that I would never have met if I had'nt been thrown in with them kicking and screaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Contraceptive couches...oh yes, how could I ever forget!!...

Still never stopped me though! ;)

About next year, chances are you'll probably spend most of your time in Corrib Village for the first two weeks anyway. There's like one massive collective piss up for first years. It was probably one of the best weeks of my life...!...

well yes that was great,no1 knew any1 so everybody had parties and shindigs
    yer not too old guy upstairs from me is 28 and there are loads of 4th year foreign people and a few second year irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hawksmoor

I spent a night in Corrib Village this year.

Never again.

The place felt like a concentration camp.I was expecting to find a gas chamber at the center of the place.

Go with Gort na Corribe or Cuirt.Both are pretty much the same.Good student buzz about the place.

-Aidan

Advertisement