Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres this morning, puncture tonight!

Options
  • 05-02-2005 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got 4 new tyres fitted this morning and I drove about 15 miles before going out again. When I went out again, I got a puncture, I had a look at the tyre and there didn't seem to be any nails or anything in it. Do you reckon this could be the mechanics fault? Should I expect to pay for tyre repair/new tube or whatever is necessary?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm not sure if they gave me new tubes though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

cormie wrote:
    I'm not sure if they gave me new tubes though :confused:

modern tyres are tubeless.to check if the valve is faulty pump up the tyre and put some water over the valve stem to see if there are bubbles. otherwise its a nail or a bit of glass for sure repaired one recently myself and for the life of me could c no damage. in the end i pumped it up to 45psi and at that point one can clearly hear a hiss. indeed it was a very fine panel pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Is it a Fiat Punto by any chance??

Do them puntos have 4 wheels these days. Jaysus,,, thats an improvement. 1 of the 4 must be a spare surely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

As lomb says, check the valve first. If there is air escaping from the valve it means that the tyre fitter didn't tighten the inner valve enough, in which case go back to tyre fitter and tell him to check all 4 tyre valve inners.
    You didn't get them in Butlers in Harold's cross by any chance?

As lomb says, check the valve first. If there is air escaping from the valve it means that the tyre fitter didn't tighten the inner valve enough, in which case go back to tyre fitter and tell him to check all 4 tyre valve inners.
    You didn't get them in Butlers in Harold's cross by any chance?

while were talking about valves, i had a new michelin fitted and he never changed the valve. is that legal?

• Advertisement

Lomb asking questions? Wow that's a change, you're usually answering all the nit picky ones I'm asking :p

Well the problem was, for a start, someone put alloys on my micra (not fiat) before I bought it. I don't know why they did this, there is absolutely nothing you can do to a Micra to make it look good :rolleyes:. But anyway, there was air escaping at the rim of the alloy where it met the tyre and he has to put a seal around it. I asked would there be a cost, he said they would cover it. Suppose it will have to be done to all 4 tyres???

cormie wrote:
    Lomb asking questions? Wow that's a change, you're usually answering all the nit picky ones I'm asking :p

Well the problem was, for a start, someone put alloys on my micra (not fiat) before I bought it. I don't know why they did this, there is absolutely nothing you can do to a Micra to make it look good :rolleyes:. But anyway, there was air escaping at the rim of the alloy where it met the tyre and he has to put a seal around it. I asked would there be a cost, he said they would cover it. Suppose it will have to be done to all 4 tyres???

nah sometimes u can get away with filling each tyre with 1/4can of that tyre repairer stuff each if its rim leaking or pump em up with more psi. thats why i prefer oem wheels. alloys that are non original screw up everything from suspension to steering etc and generally require dearer tyres, etc also there is more road noise from wider wheels and less suspension compliance on rough roads. i also tend to run from cars that have alloys fitted as more than likely the ar has been rallied.
    id say unless the alloys are total crap they just forgot to smear vaselline around the bead b4 seating the tyre.

He was pointing out the curb marks on the alloys anyway. I'm sure I did a few of them. Yeah, that's what I was saying when looking at that VW Polo with alloys. That it's an indication that it could have been rallied around the place. I'm sure the mechanic will sort it anyway, I've given him €530 this week :mad:

The car is in pristine selling condition now anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

lomb wrote:
    while were talking about valves, i had a new michelin fitted and he never changed the valve. is that legal?

Not sure that it's illegal, it's supposed to be standard practice afaik.
    That said it's fairly common for fitters not to bother changing valves.

Advertisement