Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

xp problems

• 05-02-2005 2:22am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty certain I have virus or something dodgy on my PC, but I don't know what exactly it is so I'm having difficulty getting information on it.

Basically I formatted my PC recently (i run on windows xp home edition btw) and stupidly forgot to install my antivirus and firewall stuff before going back online. A few days later and my computer starts acting wierd. I noticed it first when my hard drive (60gb) was almost full despite the fact that I haven't installed much since the reboot and most of my files are still on the other partition.
    Anyway I deleted some of the crap I had downloaded on a p2p and about 2 minutes later the PC tells me the drive is full again. I reinstalled my virus software but "something" wont let me run it now and because it's old and in need of a update it probably wouldnt detect anything until I updated it. The spybot and ad-aware software I ran doesn't detect anything.

Anyone know what the problem is and how I can deal with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Stinger might be worth a shot. It's a relatively small download and will detect most of the major viruses currently spreading. I'd suggest running it in Safe Mode.

And as a reminder to most people - installing a firewall on 2K/XP before connecting to the internet is vital. A quick look at firwall logs will quite often show attempted worm attacks multiple times per minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Go to one of three places for a scan:

http://pcpitstop.com

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php

I recommend PCpitstop first and then bitdefender.

If it comes up with something then copy the log (from bitdefender) and post it.

Also download and run hijackthis and post the log.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An old antivirus is not much more use than no antivirus.

Have a look on the stickies for other cleaners, and other antiviruses that you could use, eg: spyware blaster, the new microsoft one
    autoruns on the sysinternals site will also list some junk starting up - but don't touch anything you don't recognise as you could disable the windows interface !
    (must setup something on the BIKI for linkies to freeware apps )
    don't forget that spybot should be updated too.

As for installing a firewall , one report reckoned an XP machine on broadband will be probed in about 16 minutes. , the firewall in XP SP2 will help stop stuff coming in , but will do nothing ito alert you if you are already compromised - zonealarm is recommended instead.

I've also found spacemonger great for finding out what is taking up space on the drive and a full drive will cause many programs to keel over - if there isn't space on the drive then antivirus updates will fail.

Advertisement