Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tofu

• 05-02-2005 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

apologies if this has been posted before
    did a search but cant see it

anyone know where i can get tofu in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The only place I believe that you should buy it is in the Chinese food market in the centre. There is one shop on the main street (opposite Yamamori noodles on Georges st I think is the name), just down from Hogans pub. Behind this (round the corner) is the wholesale market that has a greater selection of stuff.

It doesn't look like a market from the road - it just has a door with a window that has calling cards and posters with Chinese text, and maybe a girl sitting in the shop window at a desk.

That's the place to go though. I really miss proper fresh tofu steaks, have to settle for packeted tofu, or dried tofu meatballs, very jealous I am.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You could try the Hopsack in the Swan Centre in Rathmines. They're pretty good for things like that or if they don't have it, they'll know someone who will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I can get it in two of my local supermarkets, but it is much cheaper (and of better quality!) in the Asian markets. I go to the one at the top of Abbey Street, by the Luas stop ... up by Today FM. The one Gordon speaks of is fantastic, it is on Drury St. There are others scattered around town too, one on Mary Street (Capel Street end) and I *think* one on Moore Street.

You can buy the tofu large blocks or in smaller chunks, which are deep fried and absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There is also an Asian shop in Bray just at the dart station.

What's the best way to eat it? I bought some before but it was quite tasteless. How can I make it more interesting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I like to fry it in a bit of oil on a very hot frying pan. I like it like I like my steak - crispy on the outside and bloody inside.

To liven it up a bit - as tofu is a bit bland (preferable to packaged tofu which has a certain carboardy flavour) I start the frying with a bit of oil and once it has started to fry away nicely I put loads of soy sauce in the pan. At such a heat soy sauce evaporates easily and can stick to the pan but I love soy sauce and tofu steaks so I tend to near boil the tofu in soy sauce.

Otherwise just fry the steaks and put soy sauce on top afterwards.
    Or salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane™

I seen tofu on sale in Dunnes last week, well when I say on sale it was twice the price as in any of the chinese shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

You can also get it in most health shops, like the Country Cellar in Dun Laoghaire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Between the ying of the spike and they yang of St Stephen's green - a blind-man could find them! The orienatal emporium - on upper abbey street - the philipino shop on middle abbey street - at least one on chatham street - georges street - perhaps - there is a choice! They seem to have everything but asian-priced DVDs :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

fantastic, thanks a million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

If you have a George Forman grill, or similar, you can use that to cook your tofu.
    Cut it into slices about half an inch thick, wipe the grill with some oil on a paper towel, and cook it til it crisps up. If your making a stir-fry or similar, marinade it beforehand in some soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce, cook it as described above, and when it's done cooking slice it into strips, leave it aside, then throw it into the stir-fry when the vegetables are pretty-much cooked.
    Donnybrook Fair also sells tofu, but if you go in there, don't be tempted by the fake-rasher things beside the tofu; they're expensive and really nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Quaalude, cheers for that recipe, will try that over the weekend :) Never occurred to me to use the G.F. grill for tofu (perhaps I shouldn't say this too loud... ;) )

Advertisement