Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish SAVE ENTERPRISE campaign

• 05-02-2005 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

After hearing the news of the cancellation of enterprise i have decided and volunteered to head up the irish save enterprise campaign.There is an already large campaign going on in america and i decided that we the international fan base would show their support see www.saveenterprise.com. The head of save enterprise has givin me permission to head up the Irish side but as im sure you understand im going to need help. People in other parts of the country can do there bit to save the show so far the letter writing campaign seems to be most promising and within the next few days forbidden planet in dublin will have posters and leaflets to inform others of out effort. If you want to help contact me or setup the petitions yourself.

thanks trekker_50

Individually we can do nothing
    Together we can make a difference

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's not good enough to save imho. I think a lot of people here would agree (in fact, a lot of them would be happy it's cancelled).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 trekker_50

I know that there are many who agree with you but i know there are many more out there who want enterprise to conitinue. I agree that the trek franchise needs a break for a few years but Enterprise should have been allowd finish its run, its not over and WE want it finished. After all Star Trek has given us i think its time to give something back and us Irish can do our best to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Round Cable

koneko wrote:
    It's not good enough to save imho. I think a lot of people here would agree (in fact, a lot of them would be happy it's cancelled).

Of course it's good enough to save, this season has been truely wonderful, I may even get involved, trekker_50 you should be commended for your great effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Of course it's good enough to save, this season has been truely wonderful, I may even get involved, trekker_50 you should be commended for your great effort.

DS 9, Voyager, and now Enterprise. Let it go guys. I'm a huge fan myself but
    could never take to enterprise in paticular. Best ever was Star Trek and Star Trek TNG. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Round Cable

djpaul wrote:
    could never take to enterprise in paticular. Best ever was Star Trek and Star Trek TNG. :)

I could never take to TOS, although I've seen every episode, about letting it go, you're right, nothing can be done to save it, but I love a hopeless battle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm a fan of Trek and personally I'm glad to hear the news that Ent is cancelled.

TBH I'm a firm believer that after (scratch maths) some 700 odd episodes there is no legs left in the ST franchise in any incarnation (either as a tv spinoff or film) and it should be put out to pasture so that we don't end up just having a decade of rehashed storylines and concepts sold to us under the guise of 'tributes'.

Hey round cable whenever you want to get involved contact me. I dont believe this is a hopeless battle back in 1966 star trek was cancelled but because of a leeter writing campaign star trek was brought back and imagine if it wasn't we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. Last year star trek was brought back for a 4th season because of this same campaign. Since just yesterday when i started this, Ive got about 40 signitures and about 25 individual letters, forbidden planet has given me permission to put notices in the shop and there may even be a mention or 2 on Dublin's FM104 now if I can do that in just one day think what we can do if we pull our resources. We aren't asking for much just one last season to end enterprise properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

We aren't asking for much just one last season to end enterprise properly.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it should end properly. Good Luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

While I do commend you for your action to save the show for one more season, I fear it may be too late for this timeline at least. ;)

I've accepted its inevitable demise and hope for a good send off in the series finale with hopefully nothing as convoluted as Voyager's flawed "Endgame". Time travel episodes are fine if done well and in moderation - think TNG's "All Good Things" - but I'd hate to see them resurrect the Temporal Cold War for the final episode to "reset" the timeline to complement the TOS era. There are rumours that Jonathan Frakes may be on board for the finale and this is where my apprehension of a time-travel conclusion stems from. Let it go out in style this season with some intelligent scripting from Manny Coto set firmly in the prequel era!

Best of luck with the campaign anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

This is such a dumb thread. Try to grasp this basic concept:

Why would they save it if it's costing them more to make than the revenue they generate from airing it? It's quite simple. You won't change their minds just because people who already watch it say they will still watch it (that's a no-brainer) - they need MORE viewers, not the same few they already have.
    We aren't asking for much just one last season to end enterprise properly.
    Translation: "We are asking you to willingly lose more money". Answer: "Yeah, like, we're totally that dumb".

Hey - why not start a Petitiononline? They AAAALWAYS work! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The reason they didn't have the viewership was the network in the states UPN had little or no advertising and so nobody new about it. The second reason Enterprise was cancelled was because the rationgs were based on the nielson ratings which only take into account a small amount of the actual viewership of the show. The purpose of this campaign is to get Enterprise back on the air and not necessarily on UPN, if the sci-fi channel for instance took up the show they would have the majority of sci fi shows on tv and in previous years they have taken up shows to finish out there run.

One more thing that I forgot to mention, maybe you yourself dont want to get involved in this but maybe you know somebody who does if you could just mention it to your friends or family that would be a great help, even if you sent a letter or two.

Individually we can do nothing
    Together we can make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

If the Sci-Fi channel picked up the show, it would have even less ratings. People knew about it - just not enough of them watched it.

Look at the big picture here: You are basically telling the networks: "THE EXISITING FANS WILL STILL WATCH IT!" Stop wasting your time - you cannot make a difference, and neither can every single person in the world who watched it - because they are not enought to make the show profitable. Neilson ratings are tough, but a reality none-the-less. Deal with it, and move on.
    What the hell are flyers going to achieve? Will you hang one up in Forbidden Planet so the people who already watch it will see the flyer and still watch the show, and the people who don't watch Enterprise still won't watch it (because nobody cares about a show they don't watch)? If I have to explain it again you're a lost cause, because you're not living in the real world here. Just stop wasting your life with this pointless protest and move on.

The international fan base is never takin into account they have no idea how many millions of people watch it in other countries there is no way they can know this campaign has already spread to england france and germany were trying to show them that were here. These letter writing campaigns have worked countless times before and WILL work again. If you dont want to support us thats fine move along forget about it stop taking up sapce on this thread this is for people who want to support it not who want to complain we'll move along without you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I can totally understand someone having no interest in getting involved. But why someone would actively try to talk others out of it...

I never cared for Enterprise. But hell, even Voyager got to finish its run, it seems only fair. And who knows, when it is finished I may actually watch it all, together... someday.

Good luck with your campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

Hurray Archers Dead! I hope the show burns.... ;)

Especially after that dreadfull Nazi conquers America episode

Jameway would turn in her grave at the sight of such nonsence on the bridge of a starship!

Live long and prosper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think it's getting better myself. been keeping up with series 4 via BT and it's been alright. I had heard theat the network caved in to pressure to keep it going from somewhere (not sure where) and now it's not cancelled after all.

think it may even have been on boards.us i saw that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

djpaul wrote:

quit living in the past...

I'd like to see the first Starfleet / klingon war...

The show has got a lot going for it.. as the first 3 seasons of Voyager were **** I'd like to see archer go for another couple of seasons at least...

If anyone would like to get involved in a minor or major way (I swear there is minimal work involved) contact me at trekker_50@yahoo.com. Thanks for all your future help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ahoy trekker 50 good luck with your campaign, just to let you know though its not a good idea to put your email like that on a public forum, you're leaving yourself wide open to spam.

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Saw this on slashdot yesterday. It really is a shame the cancelled it, season4 has been brilliant so far (better than bsg imo)
    There still may be some hope to save it, I doubt they lose any money per episode and theres still dvd and merchandise revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Xithus wrote:
    season4 has been brilliant so far (better than bsg imo)
    Blasphemy!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

toiletduck wrote:
    Blasphemy!!!!!!

Only season4 now :) .. If the previous 3 seasons had been more like season4 Enterprise wouldnt have been cancelled. Star Trek doesnt need a break, it just needs to be good...

Voyager, as much as people dislike it here (for some reason), was a million miles better than Enterprise.

If there's a petition to stop Enterprise coming back I'll gladly sign it. I agree with Pigman, let ST retire already, it just isn't good anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

actually i found myself sick just after the xmas period and was planted on the couch for a few days. voyager was on i started watching, realised that it was complete pants and flicked off. i did however watch some episodes of TNG at 1 or so in the morning for a couple of nights running

my point, well a lot of the early voyager was/is crap and i reckon if i looked at some of the later stuff i'd still consider some of it a bit crap, but now voyager is looked back on fondly by most fans, not as fondly as DS9 or TNG but fondly none the less. it just appears that the this time with ENT it was too much, too much opposition just enough to tip it over the hill and get it cancelled. while i reckon if it hadnt' of been some much it would have ploughed on. continued to get better and better until we would have the same situation X years down the route where generic star trek fan Y is complaining about the new series and again you''ll have me going but ENT wasn't great in the first two seasons and looked what happened it and then ENT would be looked back on fondly.

anyway sadly thats not going to be the case. i'll just wait for a new show

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

koneko wrote:
    Voyager, as much as people dislike it here (for some reason), was a million miles better than Enterprise.

If there's a petition to stop Enterprise coming back I'll gladly sign it. I agree with Pigman, let ST retire already, it just isn't good anymore...

If you dont like something dont watch it, you dont see me getting a petiotion to gether to get corination street cancled. Enterprse could have been better, i felt a lot of the stories had been done before but i would still like to see it saved all the same, theres always the chance of a good epp along the way and bable proved that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I loved Enterprise and I think it's a shame it's being cancelled. I know some people didn't like the whole time travel thing but I though that the character development and the chance to see the origins of the Federation in the making was compelling viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Star trek will be back don’t worry about it if **** like star wars ep 1-2 can be allowed on screen (urg) then star trek enterprise season 5 should of been picked up on the merit of this year.

Also it isn’t all enterprises fault i blame upn they are targeting people who just don’t watch star trek women and black people where as star trek is mostly watched by young white men (last time i checked)... enterprise gave them paramount and upn 14 million viewers for the first episode but that was pissed away by a **** network and **** writers/producers before they finally got it together move star trek off Upn as it just doesn’t suit keep coto and his writing staff and all will be well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Good Luck with your campaign! :D

X

P.S. I actually liked the theme song! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shellygirl

Hello everyone

My name is michelle and I live in the U.S. I dont know if you have heard, an full page ad ran in the L.A. Time yesterday. This Ad has the eye of new stations like CNN and MSNBC. There will be a protest on the 25th of this month.

I know that some Star Trek fan feels that Enterprise has some short comings, but many feel that the show will make a turn for the better. Also many feel that this could be the end of any new star Trek shows and or movies. No matter how you feel support Star Trek as a hold.

JMO
    Shelly

• Advertisement

If you dont like something dont watch it, you dont see me getting a petiotion to gether to get corination street cancled.

And you don't see me starting anti-Enterprise petitions either.... do you? :)
    I was hardly being serious. I just won't be signing a save-Enterprise petition, that's all.

Advertisement