Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie to strict?

Options
  • 05-02-2005 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I've noticed over the past while a lot of people getting banned for ****ty little things and in my opinion its just stupid banning people for minor offneces, anyone agree thats its too strict around here
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Use of "to" in the subject.

2 week ban

[/grammer nazi]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ban him!!!!

:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I think it's too varied. Some places people get banned for very little and yet in politics the personal attacking is rife, but mostly goes without even a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the mobile forum is crazy! lemming will ban everyone except himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well if you feel a ban is unfair then go here not many of the people who have been banned have gone to feedback to protest their ban so it would seem they accept what they have been banned for.

After hours is the wrong place for this thread. btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can someone tell me how exactly the whole thing works. How manys mods are there, do they read all posts, are they consistent.

I'm fairly new to this. I have posted a few queries in the past and followed up with thank you posts etc. but I think we are all adults and should be allowed freedom of speech.

Jesus isn't that what Bush advocates in Iraq, a nation where the citizens can express themselves without fear of censorship or repression.

I posted a query recently regarding how to know if a PS2 was chipped or not. I didn;t encourage any one to do go out and chip their consoles but I had bought one and I was seeking opinions/comments to tell me how to check if I was getting what I paid for.

I got off with a warning and the one person who responded got banned for a week. F**cking crazy........ I will probably get banned now for stating an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

muffler wrote:
    Can someone tell me how exactly the whole thing works. How manys mods are there, do they read all posts, are they consistent.

I'm fairly new to this. I have posted a few queries in the past and followed up with thank you posts etc. but I think we are all adults and should be allowed freedom of speech.

Jesus isn't that what Bush advocates in Iraq, a nation where the citizens can express themselves without fear of censorship or repression.

I posted a query recently regarding how to know if a PS2 was chipped or not. I didn;t encourage any one to do go out and chip their consoles but I had bought one and I was seeking opinions/comments to tell me how to check if I was getting what I paid for.

I got off with a warning and the one person who responded got banned for a week. F**cking crazy........ I will probably get banned now for stating an opinion

dont worry about it just register another name and post awayy

muffler wrote:

Link?

Discussion of "backups" and modding is a very sensitive area as boards could be sued by SCEE if these topics are discussed in detail.

George Dubya isng going to pay legal fees for boards.ie every time some tosser does something illegal.

seeking free speach on a private website is like walking into someones house and pissing on the couch and thinking nothing of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Follow the charters and you wont get banned.
    If you feel you have been banned for something not in the forum charter complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Link?

Discussion of "backups" and modding is a very sensitive area as boards could be sued by SCEE if these topics are discussed in detail.

here you go Ciaran http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=222218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

muffler wrote:
    I think we are all adults

That was your first mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

True True, many "children" on here.

mad m wrote:

Thanks.

Its pretty obvious why the thread was locked. You were asking how to play copied games on your PS2 and bugs was banned for telling you.

I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with the lock but it is clearly stated in the charter that discussion of warez is strictly not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

muffler wrote:
    There are somewhere in the region of 250 moderators. Many moderators keep any eye on more than one forum. Moderators are essentially just normal posters with extra duties. We have no special tools to help us read all of the posts or anything like that. I browse this forum just like you do, but I have the handicap of having to read (or trying my best to make sure I read) all the posts. But often I don't. I have a job and a life, and a multitude of better things to do then to read a few hundred uninsteresting posts a day. This where the report feature comes in. Most bannings and posts deletions come on the back of a post report. Someone reports the post, I get an email with a link to the post, and the poster's grievance, so I can then look at it and make my own call.

You'd be surprised how often spammy, abusive or legally dodgy messages get left in place because no-one's reported them. I may see them, but if no-one has reported them (meaning no-one is offended by them), and I'm not really bothered by their existence, then I won't remove them, even though they may bend the rules a little.
    As said, that was your first mistake. We're not all adults. Even the ones who should be adults can act like children. Freedom of speech doesn't apply in private places. If you went into someone's home and started preaching about the greatness of Allah, they have every right to remove you from their home and tell you to shut up. The same deal applies here.
    That's not to say that everything the mods don't like hearing will be removed. This site runs on people expressing their opinion. So long as it's done in a reasonable manner, your expressed opinion won't be removed or earn you a banning. If you beleive that homosexuality is wrong, that's fine, you'll be allowed say it. On the other hand, if you say "All these ****ing homos should be lined up against a wall, have their filthy ****ing testicles removed and be shot in the head", then you're going to be banned.
    Many people get confused and see this as oppression, when it's in fact noise reduction. If the moderators did actively supress people's opinions, then you'd have trouble qualifying the massive growth and popularity the site experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

exercising of grey matter = no ban
    no exercising of grey matter = ban

simple no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Use of "to" in the subject.

2 week ban

[/grammer nazi]

It's spelled grammar not grammer :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Simple question - are you a subscriber ?
    If not then you are entitled to your money back !*
    The chineese have a saying "the people in the free seats hiss loudest"

If you are subscribed then you probably figured out how the thing works before you parted with your cash, no one forced you to join.

If you know of a more generally tolerant board then let us know
    ( lots of other sites are very tolerant of minority views cf. neo-nazi sites. )

*Limited offer, apply in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Simple question - are you a subscriber ?
    If not then you are leaching.
    The chineese have a saying "the people in the free seats hiss loudest"

If you are subscribed then you probably figured out how the thing works before you parted with your cash, no one forced you to join.

If you know of a more generally tolerant board then let us know
    ( lots of other sites are very tolerant of minority views cf. neo-nazi sites. )

That's BS. I have no way to pay 50, but I contribute in other ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

well if you feel a ban is unfair then go here not many of the people who have been banned have gone to feedback to protest their ban so it would seem they accept what they have been banned for.

After hours is the wrong place for this thread. btw

No one goes to feedback because a lot of people register a knew username of just view boards without posting

• Advertisement

whats the saying "better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

that is what the feedback forum is for, you you jusr register a new nickname without pointing out the error of some moderators ways then whats the point in complaining in a part of the website where nothing will get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. Read the charter.
    2. Moderators ban based on forum and generally what they say goes in their forum.
    3. Admins ban based on site rules and can overrule a moderator if justified.
    4. Subscribing doesn't give you the right to supercede these rules.
    5. If you feel you have been wronged you take it up with the moderator in question. You don't go crying to other forums, except the feedback forum.

Thats it.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Link?

Fair enought if you dont want people talking about modding ps2's etc but dont give a ****ty excuse like that , sure nearly all forums these have something illegal on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

haha... the wantabe "moderater" is whining about being moderated :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Moderater wrote:
    Fair enought if you dont want people talking about modding ps2's etc but dont give a ****ty excuse like that , sure nearly all forums these have something illegal on them
    How it's a bad excuse? Do you want to run the risk of Boards being sued due to illegal content? I presume, if that happened over your PS2 post, you'd be prepared to take full responsibility and cough up any necessary cash, yeah?

Any dodgy/potentially illegal content is removed from all boards, so that includes war3z or, in the case one of the forums I mod, postings about downloading illegal copies of TV shows. It's not restricted to PS2 modding and I think, in general, the charters are quite clear about what is, or isn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Moderater wrote:
    Look mate, somedays your the pidgeon, somedays your the statue, your not gonna change anything with this thread as its been tried before and its more or less the same. Your just gonna have to live with it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Just read the charter :rolleyes:

How it's a bad excuse? Do you want to run the risk of Boards being sued due to illegal content? I presume, if that happened over your PS2 post, you'd be prepared to take full responsibility and cough up any necessary cash, yeah?

Any dodgy/potentially illegal content is removed from all boards, so that includes war3z or, in the case one of the forums I mod, postings about downloading illegal copies of TV shows. It's not restricted to PS2 modding and I think, in general, the charters are quite clear about what is, or isn't allowed.

I know your not allowed but what i am sayin bout the PS2 thing is that its very very very unlikely that boards will get in trouble if a few people talk about how they got their PS2 chipped last week and so on..
    anyways rules are rules
    Look mate, somedays your the pidgeon, somedays your the statue, your not gonna change anything with this thread as its been tried before and its more or less the same. Your just gonna have to live with it
    Did i say i wanted it to change im just pointing out how back its got around here, im a mod at a few other foums and im a member of **** loads of forums and this is the strictest one ive ever seen.

Just read the charter
    Just to clear things up i know what the rules are and im not here trying to change them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved to feedback.

Advertisement