Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie to strict?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Meh, I've never seen the mods being too strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Moved to feedback.
    end of disscussion because no one will see it in feedback, the reason i posted in after hours is so more people would see. Anyways ive my point 'boards.ie is too strict'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

muffler wrote:
    but I think we are all adults and should be allowed freedom of speech.

Incorrect on both counts.
    Jesus isn't that what Bush advocates in Iraq, a nation where the citizens can express themselves without fear of censorship or repression.

Jesus isn't an admin here and boards.ie isn't a nation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    It's spelled grammar not grammer :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    ;)
    Giblet wrote:
    That's BS. I have no way to pay 50, but I contribute in other ways.
    Sorry :( /my bad
    maybe I should have phrased that differently, people who don't contribute. etc.

But we're still stuck with the rules ..
    Hobbes wrote:
    4. Subscribing doesn't give you the right to supercede these rules.
    The Greeks were probably right about a benovelant dictatorship being the best form of government, at least on the intarweb you get to choose your dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Moderater wrote:
    Just to clear things up i know what the rules are and im not here trying to change them!
    Then what is the problem? If you know the rules of a forum then you know how a mod will react to certain topics and its content. Bans happen because people don't read the charter. Mods enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

As has been said before, boards.ie is not a democracy. It is a dictatorship, read the charters, know the rules and don't piss of the mods. I'm not saying that everyone is equally fair, but you wshould know how far you can push certain mods

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

the point im trying to make is its too strict here. Ill challenge anyone to name a differnent forum that is stricter than boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Moderater wrote:
    the point im trying to make is its too strict here. Ill challenge anyone to name a differnent forum that is stricter than boards.ie
    somethingawful.com tbh tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moderater wrote:
    end of disscussion because no one will see it in feedback, the reason i posted in after hours is so more people would see. Anyways ive my point 'boards.ie is too strict'
    I moved it for two reasons: Feedback gets a lot more views than you think. What you're trying to do is pick your target audience. You know that it's mostly mods and regulars who look at feedback. Newer members wouldn't come on here as often. Are not mods and regular members more qualified than newer members to discuss your grievance?

Secondly, the only real people with authority on what is and isn't policy and what is and isn't too strict are the admins, who coincidentally are the only "mods" on feedback. By posting in After Hours, you're leaving your thread open to the control of the mods there (i.e. Me, Trojan and Monty), and I like to see discussion take place somewhere where no-one can be accused of biase or undue control.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moderater wrote:
    stormfront.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Methinks this would be at home in The Thunderdome!

Moderater wrote:
    the point im trying to make is its too strict here.

And your evidence is the locking of a thread that wasn't on sound ground legally?
    Ill challenge anyone to name a differnent forum that is stricter than boards.ie

I challenge you to answer the question "So what?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Moderater wrote:

www.boards.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Moderater wrote:
    its very very very unlikely that boards will get in trouble if a few people talk about how they got their PS2 chipped last week

If one or two people are allowed talk about it, everyone can. If people were allowed to post about warez the amount of warez posts would sky rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Moderater wrote:
    Just to clear things up i know what the rules are and im not here trying to change them!
    Moderater wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    ecksor wrote:
    muffler wrote:
    but I think we are all adults and should be allowed freedom of speech.

Incorrect on both counts.
    Jesus isn't that what Bush advocates in Iraq, a nation where the citizens can express themselves without fear of censorship or repression.

Jesus isn't an admin here and boards.ie isn't a nation.

Does that make Ecksor = G Dubya :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ecksor is far, far more benovelent and evil compared to Dubya.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

.Sorry to disagree ciaran 500 but I didn't ask how to play games I asked if anyone knew how to tell if a PS2 was chipped or not which is something completely different.
    The point I was making was that I was asking for a bit of advice and all Bugs done was to tell me how to examine the console--noi more and no less than that.
    I certainly dont see the harm in that.

You know I could have said I was locked out of my car or house and asked for help on how to get in. Would that be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Moderater wrote:
    Did i say i wanted it to change im just pointing out how back its got around here, im a mod at a few other foums and im a member of **** loads of forums and this is the strictest one ive ever seen.

I presume its also the biggest Irish one you've ever seen and the one with the most visibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ecksor puts the E in Evil-dictactor from hell!!!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moderater wrote:
    Your point is predicated on the assumption that there is a quantifiable definition of "optimally strict" for this site, and that the site currently has a quantifiable strictness value that exceeds this optimal value.

So, I'd like to know how you arrived at both those values. When you've posted your calculations and had them peer-reviewed, and when you've explained the detailed steps that need to be taken to adjust the current strictness value to its optimal level, I'm sure something will be done.

Or, more likely, not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Yeah this place his far too strict!

*sticks a saliva covered finger in Ecksor's ear, then proceeds to humps DeVores leg*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You know Azezil, your gay shenanigans really do get funnier everytime. I think its the fact that you've done it hundreds of times before that makes it so funny.
    And before you bother.....

*azezil humps sangre*

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Sangre wrote:
    You know Azezil, your gay shenanigans really do get funnier everytime. I think its the fact that you've done it hundreds of times before that makes it so funny.

So does your bashing of him attempting to lighten things up a bit *

* /stirs the ****

OscarBravo -- nice summary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I think boards is a bit strict on signatures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sangre wrote:

*azezil humps sangre*

Yeah.

Facist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

TIPPTOP wrote:
    It is far too lax on that issue, and it doesn't take long browsing to find some muppet breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Sangre wrote:

*azezil humps sangre*

Yeah.
    oh baby you make me sex wee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Sangre wrote:

*azezil humps sangre*

Yeah.

Your never ending whinging never gets boring either.

TIPPTOP wrote:

You won't have that problem any more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Boston wrote:
    Ecksor puts the E in Evil-dictactor from hell!!!!

...so what you're saying is that all others are in fact Vil dictators from hll?

Advertisement