Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie to strict?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ChRoMe wrote:
    seamus: I have sent several PM's however all have been ignored (or at least not acknowledged)

I think you should recheck your facts.

Get anything on the 27th January? I'll look into this but I'd appreciate an honest answer, I'm 99.9% sure that you have indeed been informed of your current ban from a PI mod. If your statement above is untrue then I would appreciate if you stated very clearly -
    "I ChRoMe just talked out of my arse."

And if I am wrong in my assumption then I will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

CuLT wrote:
    It's amazing how LAX boards.ie is compared to other sites, and I've mentioned this before. I made a single post on an american forum, my only post, suggesting a small correction to an entry in a database of films.

Within hours, while I was asleep, a regular has asked what my point was, a 16 year old mod jeered my single line comment, they decided my point was baseless and then the administrator locked the thread.
    All this before I even had a chance to reply.

I'd imagine that was very frustrating not to be able to reply? God damn Yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I wouldnt call boards.ie strict per se,
    Its run,owned and admin'd by a small group of people who are in their very right to ban and/or insult whoever they goddamn like as they own the site and its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Several comments were made about being sued etc etc if certain content were allowed. I'm slightly baffled.

Who would sue and who would they sue.

When I go down to the local next Sat. night I assume (based on the ethics of this board) that nobody will speak a word for fear of litigation if their conversation is deemed to be somewhat illegal.

examples were given in this thread about why certain issues should not be discussed. There seems to be double standards. At the end of the day is this a private or public forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Some of you may know that I enjoy to piss into the wind around here as much as the average muppet most of the time, tis fun. Anyway Ive a good story which proves boards needs to be run as it is.

I opened a phpBB for myself and my college mates about 6 months ago, at first it was for just a few lads, but after a while lots of people started using it. I didnt realise this would be a problem until:

1 user posted about some girl from college, calling her a tramp and telling a fairly lude story about her.

Next thing I know, Im being dragged to the Head of School and people start mentioning Legal action.

So all in all, boards is grand. Granted a lot of the time I reckon some of the users can be ego tripping, hide behind the computer little nerds. But thats fair enough. You dont get many powerlifting, middleweight boxers online.

The mods however I have always found to be sound as a euro. So in conclusion, I dont think Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

yeah, its not perfect im sure, but as my physics teacher would put it its the ''line of best fit''* Sure isnt it grand?

yes, i am a nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

muffler wrote:
    Who would sue
    Sony or Microsoft, perhaps, in the case of the modchips post
    muffler wrote:
    who would they sue.
    Boards.ie ltd for publishing the content
    muffler wrote:
    When I go down to the local next Sat. night I assume (based on the ethics of this board) that nobody will speak a word for fear of litigation if their conversation is deemed to be somewhat illegal.

examples were given in this thread about why certain issues should not be discussed. There seems to be double standards. At the end of the day is this a private or public forum
    That's a different case, because the law treats the printed word very differently from the spoken word.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If you find it too strict move along there are plenty of other sites for the type of stuff you want. The Owners of the site are ultimately responsible for the content so if they want not to allow certain topics who are we to challenge them. Ultimately if your are fair with the Admins they will be fair with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

fair enough. I didnt know that Boards.ie was a limited company. But what is the limit of your liability.

For the record and for others I think the boards are great. I have sought and received assitance and advice on several topics over the last year or so and long may it continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

and don't tell me to go and look at the rules. i'm not gonna do that.

This sums it up for me really.

"Dear boards.ie,

Hallo my name is NewbieMuppet. I stumbled across this bulletin board because I was reading over the shoulder of someone in a computer lab in my school while waiting to print off 32 pages of jokes I got on email the other day, and which I intend to pass around my friends, acquaintances and classmates during 2.35pm study period, so that they’ll think I’m funny and will therefore like me.

After flicking quickly across the homepage of your site, it became fairly clear to me that the After Hours board has the most traffic. I decided I would start a new thread, with the title "Where did your nickname come from?" on this board, because it struck me as a highly interesting question, and I would like to know the answer. For some reason I got what I feel is an unfairly negative reaction.

You people are unreasonable. I mean, why would I bother reading anything on a bulletin board before I post my own thread? On the offchance that I might repeat something that's already been posted 100 times? I think that's highly unlikely, my over-inflated sense of self leads me to believe that there's no way anyone in the world could have already thought up something as funny as my new thread.

And as for the moderator who told me to read the charter – why would I bother doing that? That's far too much like work. It doesn't occur to me on even the most basic level that your bulletin board has a history, genealogy or culture that it might be worth me investigating before I come ploughing in, new kid on the scene, and expect you all to be utterly delighted at the appearance of some new ideas.

I don't believe in these sticky threads either – to me they look like a load of outdated tosh. And as for things like the FAQs section, feedback, or the umpteen other boards specifically dedicated to the subject I've brought up on After Hours, why would I bother posting to those? I want an instant response to my query and I think I have a better chance of getting it on a much-frequented board than any of those little sideline pages.

You are obviously a fascist clique that doesn't want new posters to feel welcome. My tiny brain is far too occupied by my own importance to understand the level of work that has gone into the charters, the sticky threads with tips and hints, the areas covering frequently asked questions, the system of hierarchy that's here for my own good to ensure that my viewing of this board isn't interrupted by spam and advertisements, the light-handed censorship of what are generally accepted to be vulgar words, the restrictions on exuberant signatures, the limitations on posting enormous images and the generally thankless work invested by people who don't get paid to run this website, but do it anyway - because they recognised years ago that boards.ie, perhaps uniquely in cyberspace, is more than a bulletin board, but is a gateway to an entire nation.

I shall now embark on a "fight the power" mission of abuse on the feedback board, the existence of which has only come to my attention since my original inappropriately placed thread was moved.

Yours,

Tiny, Tiny Brain.”

…if you want a forum for opinions, occurrences, statements, jokes, commentary, views, incidents, queries, solutions, entertainment, education, advice and just plain recreational reading that is entirely 100% agreeable to you, I suggest you buy a blank notebook, and on the first page, write these words:

“Dear Diary…”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Post of the whatever time period you prefer..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Billy not to ruin your idea of a loving democratic forum but its far from the truth.

of course its not a democracy that is what I have been saying throughout this thread. compairing boards.ie to someones house.
    could go looking for posts but to be honest its effort for something that isint exactly keeping me awake at night

what are you bitching and moaning about then?
    Tom and Dan know me from a long time ago (way before any of this boards.ie stuff) I was a successfull 16 year old muppet (successful at being a muppet that is). These first impressions will always last (fair enough) so not much time is given to my views.

You have no one to blame for whatever impression people have of you but yourself CRoMe but yourself.

as for who is friends with who, if someone posts a message in the forum I moderate that breaks the rules or puts boards.ie in a legally precarious position I will delete it. if i see something illegal being posted I will report it if someone else hasnt already. The same goes for every other moderator, albeit on a much larger scale than myself.
    IMHO I feel that discussion is held back by the inability of a large amount of mods to be subjective. This i feel leads to bias and obstructs the chance for some real thoughtful discussion.

then we will have to agree to disagree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

"Dear boards.ie,

Hallo my name is NewbieMuppet. I stumbled across this bulletin board because I was reading over the shoulder of someone in a computer lab in my school while waiting to print off 32 pages of jokes I got on email the other day, and which I intend to pass around my friends, acquaintances and classmates during 2.35pm study period, so that they’ll think I’m funny and will therefore like me.

After flicking quickly across the homepage of your site, it became fairly clear to me that the After Hours board has the most traffic. I decided I would start a new thread, with the title "Where did your nickname come from?" on this board, because it struck me as a highly interesting question, and I would like to know the answer. For some reason I got what I feel is an unfairly negative reaction.

You people are unreasonable. I mean, why would I bother reading anything on a bulletin board before I post my own thread? On the offchance that I might repeat something that's already been posted 100 times? I think that's highly unlikely, my over-inflated sense of self leads me to believe that there's no way anyone in the world could have already thought up something as funny as my new thread.

And as for the moderator who told me to read the charter – why would I bother doing that? That's far too much like work. It doesn't occur to me on even the most basic level that your bulletin board has a history, genealogy or culture that it might be worth me investigating before I come ploughing in, new kid on the scene, and expect you all to be utterly delighted at the appearance of some new ideas.

I don't believe in these sticky threads either – to me they look like a load of outdated tosh. And as for things like the FAQs section, feedback, or the umpteen other boards specifically dedicated to the subject I've brought up on After Hours, why would I bother posting to those? I want an instant response to my query and I think I have a better chance of getting it on a much-frequented board than any of those little sideline pages.

You are obviously a fascist clique that doesn't want new posters to feel welcome. My tiny brain is far too occupied by my own importance to understand the level of work that has gone into the charters, the sticky threads with tips and hints, the areas covering frequently asked questions, the system of hierarchy that's here for my own good to ensure that my viewing of this board isn't interrupted by spam and advertisements, the light-handed censorship of what are generally accepted to be vulgar words, the restrictions on exuberant signatures, the limitations on posting enormous images and the generally thankless work invested by people who don't get paid to run this website, but do it anyway - because they recognised years ago that boards.ie, perhaps uniquely in cyberspace, is more than a bulletin board, but is a gateway to an entire nation.

I shall now embark on a "fight the power" mission of abuse on the feedback board, the existence of which has only come to my attention since my original inappropriately placed thread was moved.

Yours,

Tiny, Tiny Brain.”

…if you want a forum for opinions, occurrences, statements, jokes, commentary, views, incidents, queries, solutions, entertainment, education, advice and just plain recreational reading that is entirely 100% agreeable to you, I suggest you buy a blank notebook, and on the first page, write these words:

“Dear Diary…”

Fu.ck Off you fu.cking muppet, i am just trying to get my point accross i didnt offend anyone and didnt direct any complaints i made towards anyone.

Well no one will think your a moderator with banned under your user name either.
    Why would i get banned, im just trying to make a point!
    And also i dont ind at all changing my username, but if you's didnt want some one using this username you should have blocked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Moderater wrote:
    Fu.ck Off you fu.cking muppet, i am just trying to get my point accross i didnt offend anyone and didnt direct any complaints i made towards anyone.

giant_rolleyes.gif
    Moderater wrote:
    And also i dont ind at all changing my username, but if you's didnt want some one using this username you should have blocked it

I have a feeling it will be blocked soon enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moderater wrote:

I found it quite funny to be honest, and it wasn't directly aimed at you, it's just that i've seen dozens of threads like this over the years, even started one myself a few years back, so it's common for someone to question the whole modding structure. The difference between my thread a few years back is this, I knew when to shut up and accept that my problems with modding were all well and good, but that it was the best system available to be used. You on the other hand have argued a pointless argument into the ground, and are now getting abusive.

Save yourself the pain and let the matter drop. It's pointless to continue it. You are just amusing people by this stage and not getting anything across. Plus I can't believe you have a problem with being asked to change your name, if you are a veteran of BBs like you say, then you'd have known that such a name would cause mods/admins to get annoyed about it. Just because something isn't blocked, it doesn't give you a god given right to do it.

As for your arguments on modding. I've been posting here for nearly 4 years, and I've only once had a problem with a mod, and even then it was over a miscommunication rather than anything serious. The mods here are not overly strict. I've seen far worse on other boards, and to be fair what they ask of people is totally reasonable. If I went onto PI abusing people then I'd deserve to be banned from that board. Never mind if I start putting up illegal stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Gordon: I havnt gotten one PM not on the 27th not ever. Go on check your logs. So you going to hold up your part of the deal or what???

/edit

Seamus: I didnt post much here the main method of communication was PM's (as instructed by mods/admins) There are a few posts floating around this forum about it I think

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ChRoMe wrote:
    Gordon: I havnt gotten one PM not on the 27th not ever. Go on check your logs

27-01-2005 Re: Am i wasting my time asking to be unbanned
    10:50 Chrome

a PM was sent to you on the 27th of Jan @ 10.50

I never got it. Is it case sensitivte?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ChRoMe wrote:
    I never got it. Is it case sensitivte?
    Nope. Just checked by sending a test to SeAmUs.

:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have just checked my message tracking
    seems that you never opened any of the messages I sent to you

Re: Am i wasting my time asking to be unbanned
    Sent to: Chrome 27-01-2005 10:50 Unread

Re: Are we able to have a civilised conversation?
    Sent to: Chrome 12-01-2005 15:43 Unread

PI
    Sent to: Chrome 12-01-2005 12:18 Unread

Re: Moderation
    Sent to: Chrome 22-12-2004 13:12 Unread

well it never made it to my inbox. Check I''ll give you my login/pass if required

/edit

Well apologies if this is the case somewhere along line communication broke down. Is it possible coz my account is so old that there is a problem with pm?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

All this time, kitty had been taking the pink-ribbon-wrapped letters and dropping them carefully behind the setee! A jolly good laugh we all had, I can tell you, but just think if we'd never discovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You do know that you are your own worst enemy, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Feckin stalemate. bah

btw you are unbanned from PI Chrome.

Gordon a good compromise leaves everyone mad :)

I posted a help thread in this forum and help forum. That the right way to do it? Dont think there's any point pm'in a admin ;)

Anyway no hard feelings to mod's etc guess leaving the account inactive for 4 years wasnt a such good idea. Would it be less hassel for me to create a new account and request to get my name back?

ChroMe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Nah, Help is good. When they have time they'll get round to it (I think they're pretty busy atm so be patient :) ). No one else can really help anyway so it's the best place for it.

I seen someone on boards today with a username as maderator or something like that it made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Moderater wrote:
    I seen someone on boards today with a username as maderator or something like that it made me laugh.

ah.
    i wish i was that easily amused.

sometimes i feel cursed to have such a developed sense of irony......

Advertisement