Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool(australia) test 20km dsl booster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its called SCHLUP over here even though it does not exist in the wild :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

haha, can eircom get 2km yet?
    i live about 200m from the exchange, but i dont expect it to be upgraded to 2015. maybe by then the people in the north can donate their obsolete dsl modems to us poor underprivlidged peops.

Also whirlpool been testing lines with up to 86db of loss, the results are due to be published this week
    Shaun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

... it does not exist in the wild :)

Why should Eircom use these technical solutions?

Eircom has still over 200 000 customers for its premium dial-up product, which does not give the customer anything, but a small reduction of per minute dial-up cost. In many cases making dial-up dearer for the users compared to using the "free" dial-up. 200 000 users are paying some 18 euros per month for getting basically nothing. That adds up to € 43 000 000 per year for Eircom, plus the dial-up minute costs.

As long as this massive disincentive for Eircom to work for broadband coverage is not recognised and sorted by ComReg we will not see progress on this front.

The overpriced prepaid Internet hours (FRIACO) belatedly introduced by the regulator, instead of the affordable flat-rate always-on product the Minister had directed ComReg to introduce, do not even attract half the number of customers. All this has resulted in an alarming decline of Irish home Internet penetration in the last year (from an already spectacularly low 37% to 35%), which is a disaster for our broadband hopes.

Only after the problem in the heads of our regulators is solved, can those promising technical solutions come to fruition.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Isn't it a bit odd that a company that hates broadband sticks a big ad for broadband on the front of the phonebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Blaster99 wrote:
    Isn't it a bit odd that a company that hates broadband sticks a big ad for broadband on the front of the phonebook?

No because eircom knows it has to be seen promoting broadband, then when people don't sign up they then can say people don't want it - this has happened numerous times already. therfore eircom maintains its dialup income and also says we are promoting broadband and people don't want it, nobody ever picks them up on the ridiculous small range and the fact they won't repair lines to allow people to get broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

if i get another add in incoming email from an @eircom.net webmail user, i think i`ll explode.
    i had 2mbit broadband in belfast with ntl, then a 50mbit connection at southampton university, and now: eircom anytime. its worse than ****.

Advertisement