Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

profit margin of used cars in industry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Im sure he will get someone who is willing to pay that price for it, maybe its ignorance or just poeple with too much money to burn and couldnt be arsed going through the hassle of haveing to go over to the uk and register it here, etc etc

although, a quick look on autotrader.co.uk showed 3 1998 840's for sale, one for £18000 and the other two for £17000, the 18k sterling translates to €26000 plus the €2 you added for expenses is €28000 plus VRT of €9000 is €37000 which is alot less than your 50% mark-up, obviously being a trader im sure Mr.Donnelly didnt pay £18 sterling for the car but thats the retail price, just to give a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ubu wrote:
    Im sure he will get someone who is willing to pay that price for it, maybe its ignorance or just poeple with too much money to burn and couldnt be arsed going through the hassle of haveing to go over to the uk and register it here, etc etc

although, a quick look on autotrader.co.uk showed 3 1998 840's for sale, one for £18000 and the other two for £17000, the 18k sterling translates to €26000 plus the €2 you added for expenses is €28000 plus VRT of €9000 is €37000 which is alot less than your 50% mark-up, obviously being a trader im sure Mr.Donnelly didnt pay £18 sterling for the car but thats the retail price, just to give a comparison.

yeah but if u have a look at autotraders price guide a 98 840 trade is 10500, and retail 14000 mind u a garage has one for 15000 but with a bmw warranty for 1 year and 3 months and only 65000 miles. now factor 2500 for warranty and profit on a complex car leaves about 12grand for a absolute minter trade. so we are still only talking about 30grand all in for vrt.

ubu wrote:
    Mr.Donnelly didnt pay £18 sterling for the car but thats the retail price, just to give a comparison.

18 grand is most certainly not retail its 14 or a little more from autotraders price checker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

yea, sorry 18 isnt the retail price but what that one is selling for, here is the link to it, just scroll down past all the scoobys and you'll see it.

lomb wrote:
    so we are still only talking about 30grand all in for vrt.

The OMSP on the Renenue site is €29915 so does that mean we should only pay 30 for it here? no, your gonna find nearly all of them selling for more than that price, same as in the uk.

ubu wrote:
    yea, sorry 18 isnt the retail price but what that one is selling for, here is the link to it, just scroll down past all the scoobys and you'll see it.

The OMSP on the Renenue site is €29915 so does that mean we should only pay 30 for it here? no, your gonna find nearly all of them selling for more than that price, same as in the uk.

yeah its yer mans own car and the miles are low about 45000. id say if u offered him retail of14000+1000 for the low miles premium then id say with a bit of huffing and puffing hed take 15 for it. original point though was a 50%markup on a car is frankly crazy. i note they stick to exotic stuff so no one compares prices. stuff like bentleys, astons and porsches and ferraris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Garages will sell cars at whatever price they can get, I don't think there is any logic to it. People generaly don't think about importing cars.I don't think people really understand how easy it is. There so much money washing around people will pay anything to beat their neighbours. On another note in practice I have looked into importing newer cars 5 series 3 series, in say the 4 yr old bracket.Ringing the vro and getting official quotes,and then the exchange rate left little to be saved, on these cars anyway. Adding in travel costs, and the fact the guarantee is virtually useless, left it less hassle versus cost to buy one here.Although you would get a better spec car for the money.It's really is ashame you see a car for say 8000 stg it looks like the deal of the century after exchange and vro quote your crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sound comments, Stratos. The middle class urge to get 05 cars is beyond me too. Lomb, you might be quoting the VRT calculator too much as if it were the motoring second hand prices bible for Ireland ;)

unkel wrote:
    Sound comments, Stratos. The middle class urge to get 05 cars is beyond me too. Lomb, you might be quoting the VRT calculator too much as if it were the motoring second hand prices bible for Ireland ;)

isnt it? :D
    actualy i was only quoting the known vrt not the retail price. i was taking the uk known trade price and adding the irish known vrt to come up with a known 30k or less figure. it just isnt worth more than this. so when i see a car marked up at 50% one has to wonder.

stratos wrote:
    Garages will sell cars at whatever price they can get, I don't think there is any logic to it. People generaly don't think about importing cars.I don't think people really understand how easy it is. There so much money washing around people will pay anything to beat their neighbours. On another note in practice I have looked into importing newer cars 5 series 3 series, in say the 4 yr old bracket.Ringing the vro and getting official quotes,and then the exchange rate left little to be saved, on these cars anyway. Adding in travel costs, and the fact the guarantee is virtually useless, left it less hassle versus cost to buy one here.Although you would get a better spec car for the money.It's really is ashame you see a car for say 8000 stg it looks like the deal of the century after exchange and vro quote your crying.

there is no real saving to be made on importing a 4 year old car. the fun stars at 6 years. they value a 95/96 jaguar at 3500 euro omsp whereas its worth a bit more i think. u can save a bomb on tbese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

lomb wrote:
    there is no real saving to be made on importing a 4 year old car. the fun stars at 6 years. they value a 95/96 jaguar at 3500 euro omsp whereas its worth a bit more i think. u can save a bomb on tbese.

What kind of Shaguar are you talking about there, Lomb?
    Any other potential import cars that you would recommend for value?

• Advertisement

What kind of Shaguar are you talking about there, Lomb?
    Any other potential import cars that you would recommend for value?

that would be an xj6 sport 3.2, try the vrt calculator at ros.ie, i have to say though the revenue figures are close to what the trade values are. i very much doubt on trade in of a 95-96 jag any dealer will give much more than omsp

You have to be very careful with the XJ6. Their reliability went from sh!te to great over a few years some time in the mid to late 90s - can anyone be more specific on this?

Next car due in about two years, I don't want to exclude the XJR 4.0 Supercharged from my shortlist just yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

unkel wrote:
    You have to be very careful with the XJ6. Their reliability went from sh!te to great over a few years some time in the mid to late 90s - can anyone be more specific on this?

Best to buy a car that was made after 4 years of Ford ownership when they'd had time to introduce the new assembly line at Browns Lane, so say 1994 onwards.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Best to buy a car that was made after 4 years of Ford ownership when they'd had time to introduce the new assembly line at Browns Lane, so say 1994 onwards.

Mike.

jaguar are incredibly reliable post 94. i know a guy who bought a 95 one with 140000 miles and put 15000 on it. nothing went wrong in that time.

You're right, Mike65. According to honestjohn, the 300 series built from some time in 1994 to 1997 was good, the XJ40 series (1986-1994) was not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

lomb wrote:
    jaguar are incredibly reliable post 94. i know a guy who bought a 95 one with 140000 miles and put 15000 on it. nothing went wrong in that time.

I get the impression you know more about this than I do but here's my 2 cents worth - The Shaguar V8s (first offered in 1996?) suffered from the same Nikasil problem as BMWs until 2000/2001 when they went to steel sleeved cylinders and also the secondary timing chain tensioners are prone to failure which in the worse case can destroy the engine.

I get the impression you know more about this than I do but here's my 2 cents worth - The Shaguar V8s (first offered in 1996?) suffered from the same Nikasil problem as BMWs until 2000/2001 when they went to steel sleeved cylinders and also the secondary timing chain tensioners are prone to failure which in the worse case can destroy the engine.

you might be correct. however the guy i know bought and ran his xj 3.2 in 95 in north east england til 01 when this other guy i know bought it off him. total millage last i heard was 150+ with no probs. there was def no vibration at idle from the engine. also wasnt the sulphurous petrol being used in and around yorkshire. wel this was where the car was owned and run all its life.however the car had a full jag history. very nice car if a little too much road noise in it.

Advertisement