Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I secure my wireless network?

• 05-02-2005 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Have a Belkin router and a little Belkin USB WiFi adapter. I've hooked it all up and it's working sweetly (apart from the fact that, when installing the USB adapter, it kept telling me that it wasn't XP-tested... I ignored it. Wise?).

When I look at the connection status, it tells me that it's an "unsecured connection". I tried to use the XP Wireless network setup utility to create a secure network (printed out the instructions as it told me to do) but I'm unsure what to do from here.

Help?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dingbat wrote:
    Have a Belkin router and a little Belkin USB WiFi adapter. I've hooked it all up and it's working sweetly (apart from the fact that, when installing the USB adapter, it kept telling me that it wasn't XP-tested... I ignored it. Wise?).
    Yes. XP certification isn't so much a guarantee that the driver works correctly, as an indication that the manufacturer has paid their Microsoft Tax.
    dingbat wrote:
    When I look at the connection status, it tells me that it's an "unsecured connection". I tried to use the XP Wireless network setup utility to create a secure network (printed out the instructions as it told me to do) but I'm unsure what to do from here.
    It pretty well depends how worried you are about the security. Do you live in a place where someone else could easily access your router, like in a semi-D or an apartment? If it's not likely, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you are concerned, consult the documentation that came with the router to find out how to set up WEP or WPA. If both the router and the adapter support WPA then it's a better choice, but WEP is OK for most purposes. Once the router is configured for a secure connection, you can configure the USB adapter. I don't think you need the Wireless Network Setup Utility to do this. (I've only used it once, and it was the most frustrating and pointless exercise I've ever engaged in.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Switch off the AP when not using it - simple and removes the threat most of the time. Turn on WEP, use an alphanumeric rather than a word, if paranoid change the key every so often.

firefox has an extension SecurePassword Generator if you can't think of one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dingbat wrote:

Help?

There should be full instructions in your router handbook or on the Belkin site as to how to do this.

http://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?category=9&lang=1&mode=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

ive broken the wep encryption on my own network lots of times. you should upgrade to winxp service pack 2. www.microsoft.com and it has a nice little wizard that sets it up for you. It uses WPA encryption. Much harder for people to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement