Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US general sez it's 'fun to shoot some people'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

SkepticOne wrote:
    I'm not really surprised by what he said. I wouldn't be surprised if an insurgent said that they enjoyed killing American invaders either.

I've had/have a few friends in the US military and one sure way to make them get real quiet and glare at you is to ask them if they ever killed anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

sovtek wrote:
    This isn't another "ye sure but they're worse" kinda Rumsfeld defense is it?
    No. It doesn't really make sense to talk about one side being worse than the other when they are engaged in war with each other. The situation will only be resolved when one side prevails over the other or some common ground can be reached between the two. When I say I'm not surprised, I'm neither approving or disapproving of the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

sovtek wrote:
    I've had/have a few friends in the US military and one sure way to make them get real quiet and glare at you is to ask them if they ever killed anyone.
    Pfft. I did that before. He neither went real quite nor glared at me, but instead went into a sudden "yee-haw!" southern hick rant of something along the lines of "yeah-hah! I bagged me some kills alright, - back in Afghanistan it was. Got them sonsabitches good too... you should have seen the looks on thar faces, boy...". Cue further details about killing random Afghans which I had to cut him short on due to both lack of interest and lack of really needing to hear it.

The guy was a total ass.

Bard wrote:
    Pfft. I did that before. He neither went real quite nor glared at me, but instead went into a sudden "yee-haw!" southern hick rant of something along the lines of "yeah-hah! I bagged me some kills alright, - back in Afghanistan it was. Got them sonsabitches good too... you should have seen the looks on thar faces, boy...". Cue further details about killing random Afghans which I had to cut him short on due to both lack of interest and lack of really needing to hear it.

...and that's the class of soldier that Mattis belongs to as well. My point was that shouldn't be normal...although the military may be very different today...if Mattis is any indication as well as your backwards-ass friend.
    There are also those "wanna be" types who talk **** but have never done the deed nor even been in combat.
    The guy was a total ass.

Obviously.

Then there are sadistic morons like this .
    I don't recognize this place any longer.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

US general sez it's 'fun to shoot some people'
    It possibly is exciting and excitement can be fun.

However, it ain't nice (a) being shot (b) having friends / family shot or (c) having to clean up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Awh come on. If he had of said its fun to kill muslims (Insert better derogatory term here) then you'd have a point. But ffs, people play computer games to get the rush of "killing" someone. There is a certain thrill in it, you cant fault the man for his honesty or perhaps more accurately, his lack of subtlety.

Ivan wrote:
    Awh come on. If he had of said its fun to kill muslims (Insert better derogatory term here) then you'd have a point. But ffs, people play computer games to get the rush of "killing" someone.
    I mean I love CS like the next computer geek....but feckinhell.......

Is it just me or is there a world of difference in the thrill of competition when nobody is really going to die and actually committing the act.
    And is it just me or is it really repugnant to take pleasure in killing someone not to mention pathological.
    Soldier or no I don't think it's normal to enjoy killing people.
    There is a certain thrill in it, you cant fault the man for his honesty or perhaps more accurately, his lack of subtlety.

Really???!!!!! Have you done it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Is it just me or is there a world of difference in the thrill of competition when nobody is really going to die and actually committing the act.
    And is it just me or is it really repugnant to take pleasure in killing someone not to mention pathological.

I went paintballing last year, wheras I would have been considered a pacifist prior to it, it took me a couple of months to get back to normal after it.
    I know its only a game but there is a certain amount of bloodthirstyness involved, you see an enemy and its your job to shoot, better them than you. I was all pumped and ready to join the army afterwards tho.
    It does give you a different perspective, in real life its what these people are trained to do and I doubt many of them see the difference in reality, in many ways I suppose they are breeding patholigical soldiers.

<warning: paintball hurts>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

sovtek wrote:

It is not just you. I think some people equate killing someone to a game they once played and think the person will get up for another potshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The US could always say it's not a crime for their soldiers to murder people. Redefining what is and isn't a crime is all the rage these days, apparently :)

Note: I'm just pointing out certain percieved inconsistancies here, I want to debate norn'iron about as much as I want to pull out my toe nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

It was my understanding that armies don't want psychopaths in their ranks because they're undisciplined liabilities who get others killed. I've read piles of soldiers accounts of this and that and I don't think many of them ever described the business as fun. Siegfried Sassoon did I think.

Amazing the amount of rubbish that gets put up here. What next. Rape: a bit of a giggle, human nature, no one dies lol. I wouldn't put it past one or two of the emotionally retarded far right loonspuds here anyway.

Advertisement