Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point and laugh at the half-wit

Options
  • 17-02-2001 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

From this month's PC Plus :
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">INSERT AND PLAY

I have read and enjoyed your magazines since the 1980s. I enjoy the articles and the software.</font>

...up to here I was wondering if he sent his Playboy letter to the wrong address.....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think you have most of the US magazines beat by a mile. (I live in Dallas, Texas.)</font>

....later on you'll be wondering : "How is this guy so stupid". This is how.....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have used desktop computers and now have two laptops</font>

....the whole point of portable computers seems to have passed him by then.....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why don't the PC manufacturers consider making updating easier by using more 'insert and play' devices like interchangeable hard drives and adding places for PCMCIA cards?</font>

....presumably he wants the interchangeable hard drives to swap data between his office laptop and home laptop rolleyes.gif Has this guy never heard of USB? I first heard about USB in this magazine which he claims to have been reading since the '80s....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It is much easier to use PCMCIA devices.</font>

....as easy as USB perhaps?....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You don't have to take the case apart to install them and </font>

........USBUSBUSB......
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">it would be easier to add modems, hard drives and super drives, [\QUOTE]

........USBUSBUSB......
    CD-RW drives and DVD drives, and if you have hot swappable drives, again you don't have to take the case appart to add them - [\QUOTE]

.........like an external hard drive?......
    maybe you could get by with a mini case instead of a fully sized one.</font>

.....whoa! Steady on there! We can see by the super-long sentence that you're getting excited but we don't want to go there! Apple lies that way........
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It is just a thought but it would revolutionize the PC market and make it more user-friendly.</font>

....'just a thought but would revolutionize', eh? He's so modest. And we are so lucky that americans are around to come up with these ideas. Every time I see and american I think : "He's going to say something really clever. Cleary since he's american he knows better than the rest of us. We are so lucky to have them around to think up ideas for us. How else would the PC market be revolutionised?".....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Make a desktop with three or four PCMCIA slots where you could add sound cards and other updates.</font>

..........USBUSBUSB........
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It is just another revolutionary idea.</font>

.......Brilliant! Not only is there a subtle reminder of his fantastic idea, but he tantalises us by hinting that he might have more!......
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Steve Turner</font>

.....well, Stephen - can I call you Stephen? Or would that be too informal? Please let us know more of your visionary ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

LOL, that must have taken you an age to type out smile.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fidelis:
    LOL, that must have taken you an age to type out smile.gif

</font>

Makes u wonder who the half-wit is wink.gif

Homer: Bart, a woman is like a beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one! (chugs beer)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was running install programs on the other #puter so I had nothing better to do smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    I was running install programs on the other #puter so I had nothing better to do smile.gif</font>
    let me guess your other laptop :-)

for the benefit of our sanity don't install anything again :-) hehe

slick.gif
    President, CEO, Revolutionary
    But also just a boy looking for the love of a beautiful woman

[This message has been edited by Lord Khan (edited 19-02-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

USB isn't recommended to be used as a network type connection between machines.

But the guy is right though, some form of easy High density, tiny storage device would help. About the only thing I have is Zip disks in that area.

CDR's are too slow to burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There's usb memory card thingies coming out now. They hold 100MB - 250MB of data and you can just slot them into whatever machine has the drivers installed.

Advertisement