Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heard of this in Ireland? - Parkour

Options
  • 05-02-2005 6:59pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Found details of this on the internet and was curious if anyone knows of it in Ireland? Not a martial art I know but does seem to have some links to.

http://www.urbanfreeflow.co.uk/parkour_for_beginners/parkour_for_beginners.htm

What is Parkour?
    Parkour is very basically the art of movement where participants (otherwise known as 'Free-runners') use objects within their urban surroundings, to create new and interesting ways of moving. It encompasses running, jumping, vaulting and climbing to overcome these obstacles, where the ultimate aim is to do so in the most fluid and flowing way possible. For people unfamiliar to Parkour, the easiest picture to paint is to say that what we do is the closest you can get to the Matrix, Spiderman and Hong Kong martial arts movies in the sense of movement, but without the need for special FX or wires. Get past that mental picture and what you have in front of you is a deep discipline where, as a beginner you'll find yourself practising plenty of singular moves (similar to how skaters practise) but as you become more proficient, you'll find yourself automatically linking things together with the eventual goal coming in the form of one fluid run without any hesitation. Parkour has always been there from the very beginning....You just need to open your eyes and then go out to explore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there was a documetary that ran on it on channel 4 or bbbc, all very french in an annoying vavavavoom henry way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

yeah i've heard of this, it's kinda reminds me of skateboarding without a skateboard (kinda). It's not really a martial art, try posting this on the extreme sports board and you may get more of a responce.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Thanks, just curious really as from watching some clips of it in action the rolls and break falls etc are very similar to the martial art I do. Cant see me jumping from buiding to building though!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

Someone suggested looking in the sports link, under extreme sports. There's a longish thread there, n a link to an irish site. After that prog on Channel 4 there was some interest about it on the net. I met up with a few lads had a go. Lots of fun, soo sore in the morning. After that meet up someone posted a few picy's on that urban free flow site posted above, (messageboard\local action everywhere else\Ireland. I'm in 3 of them :D I'll give it ago again if people are meetin up and the time works. Its creative trespasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

You can see me doing that around the railings outside Redz most weekends...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 orinocho17

there seems to be quite alot of intrest in parkour , i myself am a very commited traucer (sum1 who does parkour for all of u who didnt know) so ead on over to www.parkour-ireland.com and check out the forum and sum pictures .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Moved to Extreme Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Advertisement