Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General science

Options
  • 05-02-2005 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Is anyone here doing this? I want to science but I dont know what area Im most interested in, so the general one seemed the best choice.

Any general info on the course? Is it hard/easy/fun/crap etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm in 3rd general science, it's a great course if you don't know what you want to do, and also there are no restrictions on subject combinations til 3rd year, so it's good for choice.
    I originally wanted to do chemistry but had the option to drop it when I figured out that I hated it!!! Plus it's a great course for making frinds as everyone has to do maths (there are two levels) but there's a course/module that we all did together.
    Also, unlike the arts students, everyone in science meets their mentors on the same day, also a good way to get to know people.
    In first year, all the subjects are roughly equivelant to what you would have done in leaving cert, so you'd have no problem picking up a subject that you hadn't done before. I know a good few people who did that, and are now doing that subject, or planning to, in their final year.
    One other small point, based on my experiance of people in my year, but if you're planning to just about get the points you need then be prepared to work very hard from first to fourth year, a lot of people I know who failed first / second year and had to or are repeating are those who just scraped the 300 odd points needed.
    That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

3rd science too. What can i say about it.... hmmm

Well its pretty hard. You can kind of get away with not doing asmuch work during the year as arts. You don't often get assignments to do. But this can make you get lazy.

What the other guy said about struggling if you just about get the points needed is very true. I actually failed maths and I've struggled with it so thus far. By foul craft I'm actually still doing it this year( there was other stuff I prefered to drop). I failed it in first year summer exams, got help for the repeats, passed them by the skin of my teeth, failed it in second year passed by compensation and i've just done some exams ther in january which i surely failed :/

So just be prepared to do a bit of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

I got 385 in the LC. D2 in hons maths, D1 in physics. Didnt do bio or chem. Which subjects are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Firtly, a small point, I'm a girl!

I did Hons maths, physics and chem for LC. With physics it really helps if you do either Exp physics or maths physics. and with hons maths you'll get on grand with standard maths if you do it, or just glide through quantative methods (the lower maths). Really first year is the LC in one year, to catch up those who may not have done the subject before.

I'm currently doing standard maths and statistics, but only got C1 in LC, so that doesn't matter too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Berger wrote:
    I got 385 in the LC. D2 in hons maths, D1 in physics. Didnt do bio or chem. Which subjects are you doing?

are you sure you should be considering Science?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Yep. Im pretty sure if I actually study I'll get along fine. The D1 and 2 were the result of pretty much no study at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rosebyname

I know a girl from Kildare doing Science in third year. Seems like a good course alright. Whats it like in comparison to other course like in UCD and TCD etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 redalert2

I'm studying Industrial Chemistry in UL. Have studied all the sciences in college and Chemistry is definitely the most interesting/useful. On coop in Intel at the mo and love my job! Do chemistry-it is kinda hard alrite but if ya study a bit you'll be grand.

Advertisement