Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Driving Lesson

Options
  • 05-02-2005 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

Hey im getting my 1st driving lesson hopefully next weekend , well my first professional one anyway , im kinda scared , im driving me ped with years and have had a few near misses with it , im very nervous bout going out on the road in a car , I know they bring ya out to this estate in waterford the 1st coulpe of times , but im freaking out here which aint helping at all.
    How bad is the 1st time on the road really?I live up this hill in the center of town and everyone keeps tellin me oh you`ll have some job driving up there and thing is i hope to have a car mid march , generally are people ok on the road after 5 or 6 weeks after say 1 lesson per week and maybe some out the country driving around , jus driving around town scares the hell oura me but it aint something i can avoid living there and all.
    I know long thread but im sorta nervous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Your first lesson is always going to be a bit of a trail but the instructor wont be asking you to do anything that puts you under pressure.

I'd say you'll be doing very little actual driving at all but as its been "cough-splutter!" years since I was a newbie I can't be sure things have'nt changed.

Anyone help out OY?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yea mike your from waterford aint ya >?for me a comlpete newbie , do you reckon johns hill would be dangerous for me ?loads of people are freaking me out tellin me i`ll roll backwards and hit someone and all the rest of it , which is doing nothing for my confidence at all :rolleyes:

Which end of the Hill are on top or bottom? Its a steep hill alright so handbrake/clutch/power technique is important but dont panic. Its something worth informing your instructor about so some extra attention can be paid to hill starts. Making sure you park facing down the hill would be a help. At the lower part of the Hill I think you can only park on the side of the new apartments (the old Infirmary biulding).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭anna20

dont worry!i took lessons bout three years ago. the best way to learn is literally to just get out there! dont be worried about hills etc, they'll take u through it step by step

oh im past the infirmary , i have somewhere flat to park but im living up past the infirmary and mainly drive down the cork road and turn up then at masons up to the traffic lights at the mansion house and straight on up , tis just a likle bit intimidating, because i was expecting people to say ah laura ya`ll be fine but instead there like ha johns hill , you`ll ahve some job driving that pile o scrap up there , because my dads gettin me an old micra jus till im able to drive you know , he said there reliable and can take a bit of battering and generally good for a beginner , ah well fingers crossed eh :confused:

• Advertisement

Okay now I've got a handle on your location...the best thing to do is take the Folly down when going out to work (unecol oil?) and up Johns Hill when returning home.

Mike.

na i not in unecol , infact i dont even drive to work , i got a trainee accountant job in town in the end i walk in every day , i mainly drive home home to kilkenny thats why im gettin rid o da ped for obvious reasons 45 mins in the freezing cold aint doin me any good :D
    But after a few lessons i sholud be ok up and down the cork road and johns hill yea ??Id be screwed otherwise

Ah you'll be grand - have faith. :)

Mike.

heh thanx , if you see someone driving around waterford like a looney thats me :D Just avoid johns hill for a while mike :D
    hey i know its a long shot but i bought me ped up in mayors walk dohertys november 03 , tis still in perfect nick , do you have any idea if he buys peds back or will i have to stick her in the munster ?It`ll break my heart handing over the keys to that baby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i thought i would be like that too. ive been driving just under 3 weeks and after getting insured and driving around estates and stuff i felt ready to hit the open road. your confidence will grow rapidly. i havent had a lesson yet and dont plan on any until before my test. as long as you are sensible, you will be fine. good luck

• Advertisement

ou cool , so you thought yourself and your fine ?Well im defo getting the lessons anyway , but yay thanx for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

One of my neighbour was as you are now, very nervous driving. She just couldn't manage the clutch, gear bla bla and got an Auto gear Micra import, now she is flying around town :D

Aww god no automatic aint an option , me dad as good as has a micra with gears on it ready for me , so i gota learn to drive it , ah well hopefully next sunday should be the first day of many driving:)
    I was just as nervous when i got the ped though , the first day i took it out i hit a wall turning it and thats why im dreading the car driving , but im sure 2 0r 3 months i should be ok.

Advertisement