Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson V800 First Impressions

Options
  • 06-02-2005 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Ok, :)

Got my V800 yesterday, my humble (after 24 hours) opinions of this phone.

Size wise, its nice, not as bulky as it seems in the shop display model.

The camera is a lot better than I expected from a SE (The one on the p800 was atrocious imho!).... however, I do *not* like the digital zoom, its not stepped up enough, your either too close or not close enough, no happy medium.

The flash / light function is very good, problem is, if your snapping a person and you turn it on, you blind them if you are close enough for it to be of benefit.

Battery wise, so far it has lasted 26 hours of "playtime" and seems about half drained.

The media player is good as you would expect from anything sony, *however* the tinny external speaker and limited volume control leave a lot to be desired when it comes to shooting video clips. Altho' they are crystal clear.

The voice control and "magic-word" feature is just as good as it was on the p800, no real improvments.

The swivel feature of the camera is nice, if a bit on the stiff side.

The fact that you have a designated button for making video-calls makes a big difference, no wading thru menus. It makes it feel like this was a fone designed for it, not just put in as an afterthought like some of the others.

The lack of a red and green pickup/hangup buttons is annoying at first but im getting used to it.

The buttons are quite flat and a bit too recessed (for my liking) but managable, even for somone with long nails, if you have very short stubby fingers, you may not find it easy to navigate.

The fact that you dont have to open the phone to take a picture is a nice toy, the colour outer screen can be used along with the side hotkey to take a basic snap (if you have good eyesight) lol :)

In conclusion (for the moment), if you are thinking of getting this, out of all the fones I have used, which is pretty much all formats available (and some that aint lol) my initial impression is that it is a very intuitive, capable, 3G fone, however I recommend actually asking them to let you hold and try the buttons on a *real* one out of the box, as mine felt nothing like the demo model.

b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Hi FranknFurter,

Thanks for that - I am thinking of getting one soon so your feedback was appreciated. Yeah, was not impressed with the display model. Think I will follow your advice and ask can I hold the real thing!!

Cheers!!

--laoisfan
    NFL: Laois 0-14 Limerick 2-05

Advertisement