Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What browser do you use?

Options
  • 06-02-2005 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Which one do you use?

Browser? 72 votes

Mozilla/firefox
    0% 0 votes
    Internet Explorer
    81% 59 votes
    Netscape
    9% 7 votes
    Homemade Linux browser
    0% 0 votes
    Opera
    0% 0 votes
    I dont use a web browser, you insensitive clod!
    8% 6 votes

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

technically it would probably be possible for the boards server to log statistics on what is reported to it when browsers connecte , probably down to forum level (eg: how many IE users have connected to the Unix forum etc)

You could put a poll on after hours "did you choose your browser or just use what came with the machine"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

what better features do you get with mozilla/firefox??? id like to change over to it from IE , heard it was good , just too lazy to try it, LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Firefox on WinXP. Drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

This has been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Firefox, all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

firefox is the real computer mans choice. As you should know many virus' and spyware today and being penetrated through internet explorer. Firefox is pretty much impregnable at the moment to virus' thru the net so id use it if i were u, but it is a resource hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Can't see the appeal of Firefox over Opera tbh. The Beta version (which seems very stable, no crashes yet and I got it just after it was released) of Opera 8 comes preconfigured perfectly, no messing around with settings.
    Both are much better then IE though for the fact they aren't susceptible to as much spyware/adware! I work in IT maintenance and am sick to death of cleaning popups and other crap of client's PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Zenith74 wrote:
    Can't see the appeal of Firefox over Opera tbh.

firefox is free

and safari should really have been included in the poll

why is it that IE is crap for spyware and adware? is it just that its got holes in it and is crap for security???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

My browser of choice is Firefox of course which I use at home, but I have no choice to use IE 6 in work. Its ok when you have no choice, but give me FireFox any day and its less than 5Mb to download, yah!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

gline wrote:
    why is it that IE is crap for spyware and adware? is it just that its got holes in it and is crap for security???
    moslty due to a little feature called activeX.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

firefox is the real computer mans choice. As you should know many virus' and spyware today and being penetrated through internet explorer. Firefox is pretty much impregnable at the moment to virus' thru the net so id use it if i were u, but it is a resource hog.
    "Real computer mans choice"......wtf
    a browser is a browser and I will admit I use firefox,i prefer firefox and it is an all round better browser but then again it is only a browser....chill out
    How many more of these Which Browser Is Better Threads do we have to put up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Firefox is by far the best browser at the moment, imo. I gave up with IE long ago its just far too vulnerable, I tried Opera for a while but I just prefer Firefox. I reckon the only reason IE is still probably the most widely used browser is because it comes shipped on most machines and people just don't bother changing it. I don't think anyone can deny that IE has been plagued with problems and vulnerabilities for years, except of course Microsoft. I could never understand that odd PR-driven stance which meant that patches for a number of critical flaws were slow to arrive. That in its self isn’t so worrying but when you consider how closely linked IE and Windows are then it becomes a little more worrying. In fact Microsoft itself argues that it's actually not a browser but part of the operating system. I think that how they managed to get it shipped with Windows on so many machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Opera is free if you're willing to put up with the small ad along the top. Ad. vs lack of features in firefox, think I know which one I'll be going with. It's all just perference though, most people who start with firefox prefer it, others who start with Opera prefer it. I've been using Opera for years and have tried Firefox a couple of times and haven't liked it. Opera has some great features setup out of the box, with Firefox you have to go and get the add-on or go through config pages, not too user friendly for the average guy.

GaRtH_V - Don't like it, don't read it, what's the problem? You must sit there wondering why they call these things "discussion" boards huh ;)...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    moslty due to a little feature called activeX.
    you're forgetting about VB scripting, buffer overruns and a general willingness to try to open anything presented to it.
    And then there is the phishing

and the delay to release patches...

you're forgetting about VB scripting, buffer overruns and a general willingness to try to open anything presented to it.
    And then there is the phishing

and the delay to release patches...

WOW sounds ****e,its a wonder they ship it with windows, LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

DM-TheDOC- wrote:
    the real computer mans choice.
    "Real computer men" don't bother with stupid idiot terms like that... :rolleyes: Go back to your video games...
    gline wrote:
    WOW sounds ****e,its a wonder they ship it with windows, LOL
    Again, :rolleyes:

That said, FF on both Windows and Linux. But these threads are getting tiresome...

"Real computer men" don't bother with stupid idiot terms like that... :rolleyes: Go back to your video games...

Again, :rolleyes:

That said, FF on both Windows and Linux. But these threads are getting tiresome...

Well if you dont want to read the thread then dont, its as simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You forgot about the AOL browser. LOL! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Bond-007 wrote:
    You forgot about the AOL browser. LOL! :D
    F**k the AOL Browser. Where's Lynx god damn it!!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the AOL browser, it's the business and has AOL Top Speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mossy Monk wrote:
    the AOL browser, it's the business and has AOL Top Speed
    Indeed it does. Its a quite superior web broswer. 3 milion users in the UK can't be wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ralthor

Bond-007 wrote:
    Indeed it does. Its a quite superior web broswer. 3 milion users in the UK can't be wrong!

Hmmm.. If you really think thats true then I have this little bridge in brooklyn you might just be interested in. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

i use firefox, but slashdot.org reckons that later in the year spyware will be made for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

What ever about Lynx! where's Safari?

Darragh

Advertisement