Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Recycle bin

Options
  • 06-02-2005 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I have just an idea or two about this part of boards which, if gotten rid of, might help to alleviate some of the problems that boards.ie has been having of late.

Firstly. when boards.ie has spam advertisement messages posted with links some moderators will send these to the recycle bin. The post is out of whatever forum it has been moved out of, but posts linking to spam sites are still present on boards for search engine spiders to pick up. thus giving spammers an advertisement for free on search engines everytime a spider follows these links. Would it not be better to delete spam messages altogether so as nothing will lead search engine spiders to their sites.

Every once in a while all "soft deleted" messages could be cleared from the database. thus freeing up space.

Also at present the recycle bin is also present for moderators to present modified posts to admins should a dispute arise from something such as a banning or thread locking etc. When a post is deleted it is still availible for admins to read therefore there is no real need for the recycle bin.

If this is not possible, then would it be possible for make the recycle bin a private forum only readable by moderators and administrators. That way moderators could present problem threads to the administrators and the spammers would not be given the favour of search engine spiders their links.

and then a periodical clear out of the recycle bin could be done.

So has anyone any ideas on this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I suppose it makes sense to avoid giving spammers plugs via google, and given that there are posts there from '01, I'm sure a periodical delete wouldn't do any harm.
    Saying that I can't see it making that much difference to space on the database, but as our good friend Mr. Tesco says, every little helps.

flogen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I am subscribed to the recycle bin which is very useful in seeing who's spamming or causing nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ecksor wrote:
    I am subscribed to the recycle bin which is very useful in seeing who's spamming or causing nuisance.

hmmm I do this as well. I thought that was you at the Celebrity Stalker Society last Wednesday.

P.s I only just discovered this:

incdec.png

:D:D:D:D

Advertisement