Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new house

Options
  • 06-02-2005 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently considering purchasing a new house from plans, the development isn't due to be completed until 12 months time.

What happens if I decide to buy this house now, but in 12 months time i don't like the house and want out? Can I sell the contract on the house, without actually buying the house, I don't want to lose my First time buyers grant.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I don't want to lose my First time buyers grant.

Eh, wasn't this abolished about 2 years ago - you may be a little late to be worrying about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Borzoi wrote:
    Eh, wasn't this abolished about 2 years ago - you may be a little late to be worrying about it.

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, first time buyers are exempt from paying stamp duty on secondhand houses this is what I meant by first time buyers grant, my bad.

If I sold the contract on this house and decided to buy a secondhand home would I still be entitled to the stamp duty exemption?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yes you normally can sell on foot of the contract. Some contracts provide that neither party can do so - you will need to check with your solicitor. Any purchaser would step into your shoes as it were and would be entitled to benefit from reduced stamp duty, if applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

What happens if I decide to buy this house now, but in 12 months time i don't like the house and want out? Can I sell the contract on the house, without actually buying the house, I don't want to lose my First time buyers grant.

have you given any thought to the possibility that, you don't like the
    house and you cannot sell it on and your stuck with it.

are you speculating on price increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

madramor wrote:
    have you given any thought to the possibility that, you don't like the
    house and you cannot sell it on and your stuck with it.

are you speculating on price increase?

Not so much speculating on prices, but if i buy a secondhand house now, and prices go up by say 5% over the next year, then I make a capital gain of 5%, so I don't want to lose out on that, IF i change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Not so much speculating on prices, but if i buy a secondhand house now, and prices go up by say 5% over the next year, then I make a capital gain of 5%, so I don't want to lose out on that, IF i change my mind.

Don't forget you have to factor in the costs associated with buying. ie. legal fees (min. 1200 inc. VAT), valuation fee, surveyors fees, first years insurance, charges related to setting up the mortgage.
    The fact that prices have risen year on year in recent times is no guarantee that they will continue to do so.

Advertisement