Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks Hints - Post/request them in this thread!

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

hey Study i had business today and i didnt like it.

Shorts questions were evil really.I could only do about 4 properly.What i remember:
    Delayering
    Circle flow of income
    Qualm
    Productivity Claim
    Memorandum and Articles
    Holding Company
    Associate Company

Long q's:
    List the employers responsibilities to the employee
    what does the law say about unsolicited goods
    what is deemed fair dismissal under the Unfair Dismissals Act

opportunities and challanges in the agricultural sector
    leader plus
    what costs go with being a socially responsible firm

significance of the single monetary union
    discuss democratic deficit
    advantages of the global market

advantages and disadvantages of theory Y method of motivation
    why some managers dont like to delegate
    main factors when choosing methods of communication

discuss methods of production
    whats a feasibility study and everything that goes with it

contrast franching with mergers and acquisitions
    then 2 marketting questions

there was also a question on insurance and tax but i didnt do it.

Look over management activities for your ABQ and how to draft a report regarding the advantages of IT to a firm.

Grr business is one of my stronger subjects but it just seemed like there was an iron wall within every q!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Evil evil evil!

Q.1 -meat and iron.learn the nutritive value of meat and everything to do with iron.

Q.2 Food additives

Q.3 Management

Q.4 Consumer studies
    -the retail pcychology that influences consumers in purchasing a good or service
    -list 4 merchandising trends
    -cant remember for the life of me
    -how the Consumer Association help the consumer

Q.5 Family
    -list 2 social and 2 economic factors that affect the changing role of the family
    -define agism and list 3 needs that old people need
    -what problems do disadvantaged people face
    -describe how the Irish Disability Association(or something) help people

Elective
    -Causes of poverty
    -People who are affected
    -NAPS
    -2 Government and 1 community scheme to eliminate poverty

-the importance of gender equity and socio-economic status allowing equal opportunities in education
    -how important education is in the intellectual and emotional development of a person

Short questions arrrrrrgh!what i remember is:
    -draw a trans fatty acid and what is an essential fatty acid
    -functions of Retinol and Beta carotene
    -deficencies of iodine,calcium and sodium
    -term assurance and whole life assurance
    -consumer stuff
    -mortgage stuff
    -oxidative rancidity and hydro something rancidity

Hope that helps ya'll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fallenangel666

Please help me i have chem 2morrow nd im dead. Could some1 pm wat came in de paper with the ethanoic exp plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

i also need chemistry help. help! damn subject... so...many....titrations!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Study???

aNYONE DONE A PAPER WITH WATER OF CRYSTALLISATION OR TEST FOR ANIONS/FLAME TESTS IN SECTION A??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

REQUEST!!!

any help for HL chemistry would be really appreciated! ive got 11 1/2 hours before the test and im so very screwed, so id appreciate any hints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Does anyone else do accounting? I've got it tomorrow and I know nothing. I don't have the same papers as Cremo so if anyone did a different one could you please tell me whats coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Accounting Hints

Done accounting on Monday, This is what I remember....

-Manufacturing Accounts
    -Marginal Costing
    -Interpretation Of Accounts
    -Cash Flow Statments
    -Budgeting

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Mine Was:

========
    Section 1
    ========
    1) Company Final Accounts including a Manufacturing Account (120Marks)
    2) Depreciation of Fixed Assets (60Marks)
    3) Farm Accounts (60 Marks)
    4) Debtors Control Account (60Marks)
    ========
    Section 2
    ========
    5) Interpretation of Accounts (100Marks)
    6) Incomplete Records (Cash Book Method) (100Marks)
    7) Published Accounts (100Marks)
    ========
    Section 3
    ========
    8) Absorption Costing (80Marks)
    9) Budgeting (80 Marks)
    a - Prepare Production Budget
    b - Raw Materials Purchases Budget
    c - Production Cost/Manufacturing Budget
    d - Budgeted Trading Account

Hope This Helps as well.

Thanks lads but as Cremo said you can't cram for accounting. I've just kept my head down on the desk for too long... :(

• Advertisement

True though Depreciation of Fixed Assets quick to revise, Debtors Control Accounts Simple, just do one or two. The 100 makers are a bit dodgy but do learn the Budgets they are simple. Just annoying so many types of them but at least you have some idea of which ones now.

I'll learn off the budgets and have a go at the manufacturing and then i'll suppose i'll try to learn the interpretation of accounts or something and jsut leave out a question.

Interpretation is a good one to learn as it comes up on practically all papers but it is quite hard to learn all the formulas off in a rush. Yuo can bull**** through the notes though.

Anyhow i'm off, good luck with the exam. I done terrible in it as I learned all Service Firms, Cash Flow, Club Accounts and different budgets for it. it was my luck nothign i learned came up.

See yas ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Hints - Higher Level Spanish

I discovered that there is only one company that does mock papers for Spanish in Ireland. So, unless your teacher is writing their own paper for you (which is unlikely, as teachers are usually lazy) then you will definitely get the same paper as me.
    Unfortunately, there's not much you can really help with this sort of paper. But I'll tell you all what came up anyway cos I'm so nice!

Section A
    Reading comprehension about ice cream in Spain
    Two little comprehensions about squatters (okupas) and Greenpeace trying to protect red tuna

Section B
    Reading comprehension about growing levels of obesity in Spain, and the need for more exercise
    The opinion is either on "It is important to get children into good habits while they're young" or "We need to encourage sport as something healthy, necessary and fun"

Section C
    Dialogue construction was that you're visiting a family in Alicante again, and you have to talk with your student's cousin or something. You have to:
    - Greet her, say your flight got in from Ireland that day, you're glad to be back in Alicante, ask her how her boyfriend is
    - Say you'd love to stay for the whole summer, but your sister is getting married next month and you're going back for the wedding
    - Say that it really helped your Spanish being in Spain before. You've been working hard all year and you have a really good teacher in Spanish, you have your Leaving Cert next year and you want to get a good mark as you hope to study Spanish in college. You're going to take Spanish classes during your stay
    - Say you're going to relax and have fun while in Alicante - you're going to go to the beach and go out in the evenings with your student's (whose name I can't remember) friends. You've met some of his friends before and thought they were nice and a lot of fun, you kept in contact with some of them by e-mail over the winter
    That's all I can remember of it - I know there was more, but because I had to hand my paper up I can't check. It's the gist of it anyway.

I don't know what the letter was, because I always do the dialogue construction

The diary entry was that you're staying in Spain on an exchange. First you have to write that you got a text from your parents saying your report arrived and it was good, so you're happy. Then you have to talk about your day. You decided to go out on a boat trip with your student and their friends. You got seasick, which had never happened before, and felt awful. You say that you're never going out on a boat trip again!

The note was that you're staying in Spain with your uncle and aunt (who are Spanish of course) You're in the house alone when the principal of your cousin's primary school rings to say that your cousin Conchita is ill and has to be collected. You write a note to your aunt and uncle telling them that the principal rang to say Conchita is sick, and that she needs to be picked up immediately. It'll only take you ten minutes to walk so you're setting off now. You will bring Conchita back by taxi. If she seems very sick, you will take her to the doctor, but you don't think it's anything serious

That's the most I can remember, I hope if you do Spanish that it is some help to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭den.fitz

Hiya can anyone help with a few of the Economics short q's would really appreciate it, its my last exam so have loads to swap all higher level

Hints - Higher Level Chemistry

I think this is Dublin Exam Commission, I'm not sure. I got the English paper with the reading comprehensions on water and reality TV anyway, so if you got that then you MAY get this one as well (Caoimhe got a different one, for example, with experiments on extracting clove oil/Le Chatelier etc - its probably somewhere back in this thread)

Section A
    Answer at least two questions from this section

1. A sample of 7.77g of hydrated sodium carbonate crystals (represented by Na2CO3.xH2O) was dissolved in deionised water and the solution was made up accurately to 500cm3 in a volumetric flask. The molarity of this solution was found by titrating it in 25cm3 portions against a 0.075M solution of sulfuric acid. the sulfuric acid, which is not a primary standard, had been standardised using a suitable base.
    a) What is meant by a primary standard in volumetric analysis? Explain why sulfuric acid is not a primary standard. Name a suitable base for standardising sulfuric acid.
    b) Why is the pipette and burette rinsed with deionised water followed by a little of the solutions they are to contain before the titration? Why is the titration flask rinsed with deionised water only?
    c) Give two other precautions that should be taken when using a burette.
    d) Name a suitable indicator for the titration and state the colour change of the end point.

In the experiment it was found that the 25cm3 portions of hydrated sodium carbonate solution required an average titre of 20cm3 of 0.075M sulfuric acid solution. the titration reaction is:
    Na2CO3 + H2SO4 -> Na2SO4 + H2O + CO2
    e) Calculate the concentration of the sodium carbonate solution in
    i. moles per litre
    ii. grams per litre
    f) Find the percentage by mass of water in the sodium carbonate crystals and hence the value of x, the degree of hydration, of the crystals.

2. Ethanoic acid was prepared in the laboratory by the oxidation of ethanol using an acidified solution containing 14.9g of sodium dichromate(VI) crystals, NaCr2O3.2H2O. The reaaction was carried out by slowly adding a solution of 2.76g ethanol to the solution of sodium dichromate in dilute sulfuric acid in a suitable apparatus. The ethanoic acid produced contained impurities such as ethanal and ethyl ethanoate. The yield of ethanoic acid was 2.7cm3. the reaction may be represented by the equation
    3C2H5OH + 2Cr2O7(2-) + 16H+ -> 3CH3COOH + 4Cr(3+) + 11H2O
    a) Draw a labelled diagram of the apparatus used to prepare ethanoic acid in the laboratory and explain why this type of apparatus is used.
    b) Describe and explain the colour change that takes place during the reaction
    c) Show that the sodium dichromate(VI) solution was in excess in this experiment
    d) Calculate the percentage yield of ethanoic acid if its density is 1.06cm(-3)
    e) Describe a simple test to distinguish between ethanoic acid and ethanal.

3a) A number of unknown salts are analysed for identification. Flame and anion tests are carried out on each of the salts.
    i. Describe how a flame test sohuld be carried out on an unknown salt.
    ii. Describe, listing reagents and reaction conditions, in each case, the test for phosphate and nitrate ions.

b) One of the salt samples was made up in solution and reacted with aqueous barium chloride. A white precipitate formed. The precipitate was found to dissolve on reaction with dilute hydrochloric acid. In addition, the sample was found to give a lilac colour when placed in a Bunsen flame.
    i. Identify the salt
    ii. Name the white precipitate formed
    iii. Write balanced equations for both reactions that take place

Section B
    See page 1 for instructions on how many to answer

4. Answer eight of the following
    a) Distinguish between isotopes and isomers
    b) What reagents are required to prepare ethene in the laboratory?
    c) How many hydrogen atoms are there in 420cm3 of butane, C4H10, at stp?
    d) Give two reasons why real and ideal gases differ
    e) Write a balanced equation to describe the reaction at the cathode when an electric current is passed through a sodium sulphate solution
    f) Mendeleev had to reverse the order of certain elements in his periodic table and predict the identity of then undiscovered elements. Give an example of a pair of reversed elements and an element he predicted.
    g) What process is used in water treatment to remove heavy metals such as lead?
    h) Explain why phosphorus has a greater first ionisation energy than sulphur
    i) Complete and balance the following equation:
    CH3COOC2H5 + NaOH ->
    j) What is meant by autocatalysis? Give an example of an autocatalyst
    k) Answer A or B
    A. Name two greenhouse gases
    B. Name the main ore of i. aluminium, ii. iron

5a) Name i. a non-metal that exists as a liquid at room temperature and ii. an element that can exist in both diatomic and triatomic forms in the atmosphere
    b) Give the formula of the compound that is formed between the elements of atomic number 6 and sulphur. Show, using a dot and cross diagram, the bonding present in this compound. State the shape of the molecule
    c) Covalent bonding involves the overlapping of orbitals that results in either a sigma or pi bond. Explain the difference between these two types of bonding. Draw a diagram (using orbitals) to illustrate one of these types of bonds
    d) state the Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion Theory
    e) Ammonia, NH3, and phosphine, PH3, both have a pair of electons that do not take part in any bonding. What are these electron pairs called? What shape do they give the molecules they are present in?
    f) Explain why ammonia is extremely soluble in water whereas phosphine is insoluble
    g) What is meant by a dative covalent bond? Give the name or formula of a species that contains a dative covalent bond

6. C3H6 (A), C2H5CHO (B), CH3COOCH3 (C), CH2(OH)CH(OH)CH2OH (D)
    a) Give the systematic IUPAC names of compounds A, B, C, D
    b) To which homologous series does compound A belong? Give the name and structural formula of another member of this series
    c) Compound B can be converted to compound A in two steps. Brief;ly describe the reactions of these steps in the correct order. Write a balanced equation to represent one of these steps
    d) Compound C is produced by reacting a carboxylic acid with a compound from another homologous series. Write a balanced equation to illustrate this reaction
    e) Which of the compounds A, B, C or D is most soluble in water? Give a reason for your answer
    f) Compound D is obtained as a by-product when lard (fat) is refluxed together with sodium hydroxide. Identify the other product of this reaction

7. A sample of magnesium is reacted with excess hydrochloric acid and the volume of the hydrogen liberated (at room temperature) is measured at 15 minute intervals. The results are (Time in minutes/Volume in cm3)
    0, 0
    15, 270
    30, 470
    45, 610
    60, 690
    75, 750
    90, 800
    105, 800
    120, 800

a) Draw a labelled diagram of the apparatus used in this experiment
    b) When was the reaction complete?
    c) Plot, on graph paper, a graph of volume against time
    d) Using the graph to find
    i. The time it takes to produce 5.9 * 10(-2)g of hydrogen
    ii. the instantaneous rat of the reaction after 40 minutes
    e) The equation for the reaction is
    Mg + 2HCl -> MgCl2 + H2
    What mass of magnesium was reacted in the complete reaction?
    (Molar volumes at room temperatures = 24 litres)
    f) Explain why the rate of production of hydrogen decreased with time

8a) HCl, H2SO4, HNO3
    i. Classify the above acids as monobasic, dibasic or tribasic
    ii. These acids are all strong acids. What is meant by a 'strong acid'?
    iii. The conjugate base of H2SO4 can also act as an acid. Write an equation to illustrate this

b) Define pH
    Calculate the pH of:
    i. 3.65g of hydrochloric acid in 500cm3 of aqueous solution
    ii. 1g of sodium hydroxide in 200cm3 of aqueous solution

Suggest a suitable indicator if the hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide solutions were titrated against each other. What colour change would be observed at the end point?

Sorry, I'm bored of typing. I'll come back to this later
    Also, I apologise that I dunno how to write in subscript and superscript on these boards - I know it screws up the equations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

That is extreamly helpful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Charmin'

Ordinary Level French:

My tape was the one where one section is two French teenagers are in Ireland. Chloe (I think) and Stefan.

Comprehension 1 - Teenagers and mobile phones, easy enough
    Comprehension 2 - About buying/renting accomodation, know any vocab connected with it, and also what immobiliers is...
    Comprehension 3 - About Blue the group, easy enough, the English question was a bit hard though. "Blue are happy in their life as a pop group" or somethin like that, and do you agree, refer to comprehension, etc.
    Comprehension 4 - About a primary school on picture day, easy enough too. English question "Does the author succeed in portraying a Primary School" or somethin like that.

Written Section:
    Cloze test - easy enough, just a normal postcard.
    Didn't do form filling
    B - Message for Delphine sayin you've gone swimming, then you're going to town to meet some friends, and you'll be in McDonalds if she wants to meet you.
    Postcard, didn't do but you're in France, eating well, spreaking French and somethin' else..
    C - Diary Entry about working in a restaurant in France, people you work with are nice, work is hard, you're going to call your parents tomorrow.
    Formal Letter, enjoyed your stay in a French hotel, want a brochure for 2005, and somethin else. Didn't do it so I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Be careful about learning papers based on the other papers you got, teachers choose them independent of each other, I got the same irish and english as Fishie but a different chemistry paper. I had the clove oil/ bleach/ le chatelier experiments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

I've finally finished my mocks today, and I just wanted to thank everyone who give me hints and help with every subject over the past few weeks. Anyone need any help with the following subjects PM me...

- English (HL)
    - Maths (OL)
    - Irish (OL)
    - Physics (HL)
    - Biology (HL)
    - Ecconomics (OL)
    - German (OL)

• Advertisement

Caoimhe wrote:
    Be careful about learning papers based on the other papers you got, teachers choose them independent of each other, I got the same irish and english as Fishie but a different chemistry paper. I had the clove oil/ bleach/ le chatelier experiments.
    Oops... I'll go back and change that post now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GoldenGirl*

R.D wrote:
    I've finally finished my mocks today, and I just wanted to thank everyone who give me hints and help with every subject over the past few weeks. Anyone need any help with the following subjects PM me...

- English (HL)
    - Maths (OL)
    - Irish (OL)
    - Physics (HL)
    - Biology (HL)
    - Ecconomics (OL)
    - German (OL)

Cud U email me biology hints or ur paper if at all pos i d really appreciate it thanx a mil!! www.JeanGaughan@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gabriella

Unfortunately I don't appear to be getting the same Irish paper 2 as any of those who have posted so far as I had my Irish paper 1 today and the comprehensions on the exam I got were on Ian Paisley and Robinson Crusoe. If somebody else has done this paper could they please tell what is coming up on the Paper 2 as I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Gabriella! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarahlou

hey my friend told me about this site
    anyway i've have the papers:
    accounting(h)
    maths(h)paper1
    geography(h)
    irish(o)paper1
    english(o)paper1
    and i remember my french(h)
    i need help with biology(h) which is in around 10 hours away
    i know i'm getting the nitrogen cycle and immobilisation as questions, cause the teacher hinted but i need help cause i dont know a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

I need help with english. for the comparitive study question I have covered dances with wolves, silas marner and of mice and men. What am I going to say about how my response has been shaped by the vision and viewpoint? and what texts are easiest to cover with regards to this?

And concerning writing an essay about Seamus Heaneys poetry what will I focus on when writing about valuing his poetry?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where there more then two companies doing the Home Ec Exam? Cause I got a copy of ExamVision & Dublin Examinary Board and none of them where the exam I got. Im doing Higher Level.

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

what came up in your Home Ec exam sully?
    mine paper was on meat/iron and obesity and management and consumer studies etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gabriella

Hi could anyone tell me whats coming up on the english paper 2 if you got the paper 1 with with text one about Lily Quest for Power and text two about Deadly Ritual can still Enthral and third about Technology. Thanks Gabriella

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement