Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

replace keano with who?

• 06-02-2005 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭

i think keano is one of the best midfielders in england right now and for a 33 yr old thats awsome

but ill give him 2yrs and he will retire but who will replace him

they bought that waster jemba jemba in he was suppose to replace keano dont make me laugh

so who will replace keano,we need someone in midfield to dicate the pace and has to be someone who the players respect and he has to be able to mouth off to other players

with keano utd dont function at there best

he got them through yesyerday at the Birmingham

im worried for united when thy keano retires

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

As am I. The respect that the players have for Keano is unrivalled. You just know that every one of them has had a run in with him at sometime and have gone home to their wives bitching about him, but still will respect him and particularly will try and impress him on the pitch. This is what happened on tuesday night, of that I have no doubt. United need someone who can come in and maintain that type of influence. There are not too many vocal players on that team and certainly on other who could command that level of respect. United are in big trouble when he cause because frankly they are the type of team that needs a regular kick up the arse.

To answer your question though of who will replace him....I haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

your not the only one with that worry. gabriel heinze, wayne rooney, alan smith are all fierce competitors and can lead a side in years to come.

ferdinand is well respected on and off the field and does bring great stability to the side so thats why he's been made captain for a few games already. he's the probably future captain and not a bad one i think. no doubt rooney in years to come will become a shearer like figure but atm he's far too childish to be a captain.

as for replacing keano in midfield- i dont think that can be done. some players are special. cantona wasnt replaced, never will be. schmeichael another legend. you cant replace these guys, you can only introduce different players with different styles. ronaldo/beckham a classic example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,285 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nobody will he's irreplacable, the last midfielder ireland had to hold a candle to him was John Giles

players like keane come along once every 20 or 30 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Cyrus wrote:
    nobody will he's irreplacable, the last midfielder ireland had to hold a candle to him was John Giles

players like keane come along once every 20 or 30 years

I think he's talking about United,Before Keano United had Ince and Bryan Robson before that. It's not going to be easy or cheap to replace keano but if fergie is still in charge when the time comes he will be replaced by a similar type player.

There's no ready replacement that springs to mind in the premiership at the moment so united may have to cast their net further afield to find the right person. I have seen a few names mentioned on dedicated United forums and some of them seem to be viable options for the Fans discussiing them but I dont watch continetal football so I am in position to comment on these players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

one player which might replace keano is steven gerard but when united were against liverpool keano dominated midfield and gerard was no where to be seen

and he said he would never go to united but everyone has a price

but im still unsure about him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I think the only that could replace him his Gerrard. Will be very hard to replace him tho as Gerrard will probably never go there.

How bout Vieira!!!???;)

Viera is tempremental......Gerrard is the best player of a bad bunch at liverpool..

Gangsta wrote:
    =
    How bout Vieira!!!???;)

Too wimpish for my liking. ;)

Temperemental:
    # Relating to or caused by temperament: our temperamental differences.
    # Excessively sensitive or irritable; moody.
    # Likely to perform unpredictably; undependable

which one do u mean?

He is very undependable but to be honest i think that's a french thing...when things are going their way then they perform well....when they're gainst the ropes they tend to down tools somewhat. Not a man id like in my side if we were going through a bad run.

• Advertisement

i prefere when the have to replace keano replace him with a english player
    i have nothing against foreigners its just the english love the hard tackles and want to fight for their team e.g steven Gerrard

Alex will get the best out of him i know it but he will never come unless and this is a big unless if liverpool dont get that 4th spot and if united win the league and champions league

fade2black wrote:
    He is very undependable but to be honest i think that's a french thing...when things are going their way then they perform well....when they're gainst the ropes they tend to down tools somewhat. Not a man id like in my side if we were going through a bad run.
    Vieira usually plays very well against big teams. Yes I know he wasnt at his best on Tuesday but everyone has a bad game and tbh I dont think he wants to play for Arsenal as much as he used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

snoopdog wrote:
    i prefere when the have to replace keano replace him with a english player
    i have nothing against foreigners its just the english love the hard tackles and want to fight for their team e.g steven Gerrard

Alex will get the best out of him i know it but he will never come unless and this is a big unless if liverpool dont get that 4th spot and if united win the league and champions league

Why not give Joey Barton a try ? :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah now don't be silly, you can say about Henry being a choker all you want, but Vieira consistantly preforms against the top teams all the bloody time, don't be silly. Also its not a french thing, example gee I don't dont, some guy with a funny name beginning with Z.

Anyway, after United win the treble this year, Gerrard will join us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

John o Shea more likley is the inbred option, if he wasnt he be sold by now.
    Reckon Alex wants to give him more time to develop in mid. has the drive just gives the ball away a lot.

kdjac

We don't want Gerrard. End of.

PHB wrote:
    Ah now don't be silly, you can say about Henry being a choker all you want, but Vieira consistantly preforms against the top teams all the bloody time, don't be silly. Also its not a french thing, example gee I don't dont, some guy with a funny name beginning with Z.

When did Chelsea add United onto the name ??? :confused:

PHB's Soccer predictions :

Man Utd to win the treble, just put a 5 euro bet on it.
    I'm gona be rich

PHB wrote:
    PHB's Soccer predictions :

Man Utd to win the treble, just put a 5 euro bet on it.
    I'm gona be rich

Did you not say you but a bet on it a couple of days back ? .
    Waste of a fiver .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

how is henry a choker? i never understand people who say he only performs against the small teams.

4th top scorer in champions league history. 2 goals against chelsea this season.

the two games against united, it wasnt a case of the rest of the team playing amazing and him doing terrible. In the game at highbury he was one of the better arsenal players.

I would certainly have him on my team.

• Advertisement

how is henry a choker?

Hes **** for France ?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'd welcome Gerrard personally, he's the only player as far as I can see who could have the kind of potential impact needed to replace Keane. As for John O'Shea, I was a big fan at first but the more I see him, the less I see him as a replacement for Keane.

Other than Gerrard, Gattuso is the only player I can see in world football although what age is he?

KdjaC wrote:
    Hes **** for France ?

kdjac

in euro 2004 he was, who wasnt though? All the french team were ****. What about the Dtuch? RVN was brutal aswell, so was robben, are they all chokers aswell then?

in euro 2004 he was, who wasnt though? All the french team were ****. What about the Dtuch? RVN was brutal aswell, so was robben, are they all chokers aswell then?

no hes always **** for france , RVN is top scorer of the present team, Robben only new to Dutch team , henry playing for france for over 7 years and always been ****.

O Shea only young hope its him cos hes irish either way longer he stays there better he will get.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Back on topic girls this is about Keane and replacements and not Henry :rolleyes:

As for Roy Boys replacement Gerrard is the closest to his style of play that I am aware of at the moment but there is no way the Liverpool board would sell him to United, they would be lynched from Anfield if they did.

O'Shea has impressed me with his new spot in Midfield and Miller is supposed to be "the next Keane" from all the media hype over here. I have a feeling that united will adjust their style when Keane retires unless they unearth a South American Roy Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

hmm tough question

gattuso could be great if we cud nab him...

gerrard wud be a tough one to get given that hes a hardcore liverpool man...altho ferguson did say he wud bid if he became available which is more than possible

i thought united shud have bid for graveson

o'shea has a chance but hes just a bit gangly and messy at the moment...hes got some class though no doubt

fortune isnt a bad half way fix, tough tackling-half decent passer, nothing special but might be better off with a half fix and money spent elsewhere

cant think of anymore options off the top of my head :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The South African, Stephen Pienaar, currently with Ajax. He's 22, combative if fairly slight, and has good vision and passing. He wouldn't come cheap, but good players generally don't.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Scott Parker or Gattuso are two players that could do a job for United after Roy hangs up his boots. Roy is irreplacable, as was Schmeichel and Cantona we just have to find players that can do the job for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Would like to see Heinze tried there. It could work. He looks very comfortable on the ball and gets stuck in.

Another option(don't laugh) is P Neville. Some of his best games have been Central midfield. Given a concerted long run he could do a job.

I would prefer a home grown player than a foreigner, who knows who could have emerged by the time Keane goes. Keane hadn't really emerged by the time Robson was nearing his retirement.

• Advertisement

kida wrote:
    Another option(don't laugh) is P Neville. Some of his best games have been Central midfield. Given a concerted long run he could do a job.

You're right He has duputised for Keano in the past in that position and never let us down. I'm not sure he would have the verbal presence that Keano has so someone else would have to be made captain. The brother would be a likely candidtate .

On a side note it looks like Giggs is getting his two year extension to his contract after his recent displays. I hope he continues to perform as he has lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Phil Neville can't pass a football, is highly unlikely to score, and is liable to make a blunder at any time. Yes he can tackle and he can run, so he can do a job in certain games. But as a replacement for Keane - yer havin' a laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

gandalf wrote:
    Miller is supposed to be "the next Keane" from all the media hype over here.

I do think in time Miller - could be the next Keane. Miller make the mistake of moving to 'a big club' too early.. and with not getting games week in/week out - he isnt adjusting to the premier league as well as he would like...

the six months or so when he was playing for celtic in the champions league - he did add something special to the club...

before him -> it was Colin Healy dubbed as the next keane..

both players left Celtic in search for playing a a higher standard and in Healy's case week in/week out... but if Healy had of waited - Lambert legs where giving up.. and the window would had open for him... thats how Miller came into the picture.

so maybe a loan move away from ManU would he Miller.

I do think in time Miller - could be the next Keane. Miller make the mistake of moving to 'a big club' too early.. and with not getting games week in/week out - he isnt adjusting to the premier league as well as he would like...

the six months or so when he was playing for celtic in the champions league - he did add something special to the club...

before him -> it was Colin Healy dubbed as the next keane..

both players left Celtic in search for playing a a higher standard and in Healy's case week in/week out... but if Healy had of waited - Lambert legs where giving up.. and the window would had open for him... thats how Miller came into the picture.

so maybe a loan move away from ManU would he Miller.
    i say miller should go on loan too and o shea goal against arsenal should great confidence i say he could do it in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I heard the same about miller being the next keane. Give him a few years,i say. Hype might be believed....?

miller doesnt have the physical presence as keane. You need a bit of a goer to play that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

miller is a class act and could well be a huge player for utd. he gave celtic a cutting edge in the champions league, showing all aspects of his game.

if he's given time, as fletcher has been (undeservedly imo) ive no doubt he'll prove his worth. he'll certainly have a bigger impact than fletcher has had should he be given 1st team status for over half a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Keane wont be "replaced", a new player will be brought in and he will be himself, not the "new Keane".

Particularly with Scholes moving the wrong side of 30, in a couple of years the new United central midfield pairing could be completely different to anything you have seen before. I cant personally see any of the players who are currently there given their current standard making the grade to what it takes to play in the centre for United in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

i think fletcher has a future with united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

d22ontour wrote:
    i think fletcher has a future with united
    Possibly, but IMO I cant nearly see him making it as a starter in the centre of midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

miller doesnt have the physical presence as keane. You need a bit of a goer to play that role.

IIRC - Keane didnt have 'that' physical presence all his life. during his first year at ManU he had problems getting into the first team.. breaking the Robson/Ince Midfield duo.

• Advertisement

Fletcher is a backham style right winger, who tracks back, can't beat people, but is a great fighter and passer of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

fletcher is a central midfielder and i think thats were he will play most of his games for united

IIRC - Keane didnt have 'that' physical presence all his life. during his first year at ManU he had problems getting into the first team.. breaking the Robson/Ince Midfield duo.

Indeed took a while for him to bulk out , O Shea needs them Mc Nuggets now.
    Miller needs to toughen up to but he reckons he playing at his best now accorinf to this

kdjac

d22ontour wrote:
    fletcher is a central midfielder and i think thats were he will play most of his games for united

Central midfield is definitely his best position, he needs to bulk up a bit but he could be a very good player in the making. I woiuld love to see Milller perform well enough to make the team but to date he has not really done that, Next season will be very important for him if he is to have a future at United .

ive a realistic suggestion (unlike Gattuso and Gerrard) , how about Joey Barton :D .(yes I am fully aware this is my second time mentioning it )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Unfortunately Fletcher is at least as good and probably better than Miller is at this moment. And being 5 years younger (19/20 vs 24/25 I think), Fletcher is the far better prospect.

In defence of Miller though, he has never had a run of even 3 or 4 games starting in a United shirt. He's in the team one week, a used sub another, an unused sub the next, and not even on the bench the next. Very difficult to make an impression given that lack of match time.

In defence of Miller though, he has never had a run of even 3 or 4 games starting in a United shirt. He's in the team one week, a used sub another, an unused sub the next, and not even on the bench the next. Very difficult to make an impression given that lack of match time.

There's always the reserve games to make an impression. .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Big Ears wrote:
    ive a realistic suggestion (unlike Gattuso and Gerrard) , how about Joey Barton :D .(yes I am fully aware this is my second time mentioning it )

so you want a scouse to move to man utd from man city.
    That'll go down well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Muppet wrote:
    There's always the reserve games to make an impression. .
    He doesn't play for the reserves though. Not many players with first team experience play for the United reserves, Richardson, Rossi Spector are the only ones i can think of atm.

mayordenis wrote:
    so you want a scouse to move to man utd from man city.
    That'll go down well!

very well im sure , once he gets one of his trademark sending offs im sure United will be jumping for joy .

• Advertisement
Advertisement