Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

evil geography

Options
  • 06-02-2005 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hows it going folks just some quick questions to bug you wit....

can i study france regional devisions, france core+pher. and study france agriculture and have covered a bunch of stuff?

i know ill still have to study other countries as well e.g italy/spain/norway but was just wonderin if i cover all 3 above sections with france...cheers! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

My personal philosophy is study France and Norway really well. That gives you a Scandinavian country, a core and periphery, an easy regional division, a Mediterranean part, an agricultural region, a fishing region, an industrial region... If you know them well enough you're sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

what enlgish papers had u rose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Ah, the days when I had to study for Geography (12 months ago). It's such an enjoyable subject :D:D

Of course, I passed :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Skyuser wrote:
    Ah, the days when I had to study for Geography (12 months ago). It's such an enjoyable subject :D:D

Of course, I passed :cool:

Well I love Geography. Did it in my leaving last year and scored a B3 despite answering only 80% of the paper due to my obscenely slow writing. I'm now studying Geography as part of Arts in UCD and I love it!

Advice to 6th year Geography students. Make out a plan about how long you are going to spend on certain questions to make sure you don't overrun. Remember Quality not Quantitiy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

rose** wrote:
    hows it going folks just some quick questions to bug you wit....

can i study france regional devisions, france core+pher. and study france agriculture and have covered a bunch of stuff?

i know ill still have to study other countries as well e.g italy/spain/norway but was just wonderin if i cover all 3 above sections with france...cheers! ;)

As far as I can recall, when I studied France, it was as 3 sections under 4 heading each. There was the bit to the north, the massif central and the bit of med coastline down south, under industry, relief soils & drainage and two other headings which have slipped my mind over the past two years.

I also studied Italy and Spain. One of the three usually comes and it is unusual for two of them not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

on my geo mock this year, it asked us to split our country into regions under the following headings

Primary activities
    Secondary activities
    Teriatairy(jaysus i can't spell) activities

Yeah, had the same mock. Loads of people had only studied Spain for that and it didn't come up. I kept forgetting that I was supposed to be doing it under those headings and I'd start waffling about other stuff... oops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 unak

hey caoimhe pretty sure thats my mock too.....can u remember wat question b on coasts was? and wat the mapwork questions were? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭[RS] Finch*

which countries came up? france/norway at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 unak

well on mine it was norway, italy and not sure wat else. divide into primary, secondary,tertiary.

• Advertisement

which countries came up? france/norway at all?
    Yeah, France, Norway and Italy all came up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

For regional geography, i'm completely banking on Italy to divide into 3regions. Whats everyone else doing? Thinking about Norway but Italy has to come up, its last year for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

We're doing France,Norway,Italy and the west of Ireland?I think.We've only done France so far!

lol we were 2 years without a teacher so theres only so much we can do really.We're only covering maps,photos,tourism,rivers,coasts,fieldwork and the countries above.

What regions are people doing for Norway? and anybody who has notes pm me please. im going with the oslo lowlands, Interior Uplands, and i'm not sure on the third. I will do either *goes to check book.... actually realise i've left it in school ahhh.... i've a test on regional tomorrow. :( so does anybody have any notes? please?

I was going to do Oslo Lowlands, Interior Upands and the Fjorded Coastline but i couldn't find any notes so i'm just going to do Norway's natural resources and do France and Italy into regions.

Exactly what i'm thinking now. DId u see on www.skool.ie it just says that u need to know ..... about primary activities etc. Doesnt actually give the facts.

its actually all in the book but i can't decide on third region still. Anybody else doing it? INterior uplands, oslo lowlands, and i'll prob swing towards doing the Northern Territory(Fiorded COastline) - NOrdland, Troms and Finnmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Know France, Spain and Ireland off by heart, going for my A under a few topics. Cant wait.

What book is that randomfella?

I'm hoping the regional well be broad enough like "Divide a Western European country of your choice...".

I've still only done France into regions. But i've done Norway-role of the sea/natural resources,Ireland-role of the sea, West of Ireland-problem region.I was thinking of looking for something on tourism in the Med. But i really think i should do another country into regions.Spain is in my book and my teacher said he'd give me notes on Italy but he didn't want to cover it in class because it would only confuse those doing ordinary level.

new aspects 2 - educational company

• Advertisement

Ah don't have that. Does it cover the regions under primary,secondary and tertiary?

yea. I'd really recommend getting your hands on it. Maybe a library will have it? It does all the countries. It was printed in 97' i think, so the only minor complaint i have is that some statistics are slightly out of date. BUt this isn't even a problem because we were told that the examiner knows we can only work off the facts that were given.

Aw wow sounds really good. lol theres no libraries or bookshops or anything near me!Grrrr!

Can i just study regions under Climate,Agriculture,Industry or do i have to do relief and soils aswell?

well in my mocks they specified and said discuss under - primary activities, secondary ativities and tertiary ativities. But i would have done this anyway, just a new paragraph for each one, no need for headings. I'd usually have something on soils or climate in primary activities as it is usually relevant.

Say for instance just something like: the deep, fertile, high yielding soils of the P.O.L are conducive to agriculture. The climate is continental in character, summer temperatures average 30 while winter drops below freezing point. Precipitation is well distributed and ranges from 1000mm to 800mm.
    -fontanili
    -flat plain facilitates use of machinery and construction of communications.
    -passes in the alps (e.g. Brenner Pass) provide access to a ready affluent market of 460 million
    -well developed supporting industries of agriculture e.g. fertilisers, machinery and equipment.
    -Farming - dairy farming is the main pastoral activity

etc....

The start of that is general and easy to slip into primary activities.
    Anybody want notes on Italy or other countries pm me with your email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

I was at a geography seminar type thing in Ballina there lately. According to them, the average score throughout the country last year on the Regional question was 52%. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Yeah, the Chief Examiner's Report continually says that it is the weakest section on the paper, because people seem to have only 1 country prepared. Me, I have 3.

Does anyone have good, fact-rich notes on HEP and/or oil and gas in Norway? I would be very grateful, as I have a really good dicussion prepared on fishing, but my book (New Aspects 2) isn't as detailed about the other 2 natural resources.

Rredwell wrote:
    Yeah, the Chief Examiner's Report continually says that it is the weakest section on the paper, because people seem to have only 1 country prepared. Me, I have 3.

Does anyone have good, fact-rich notes on HEP and/or oil and gas in Norway? I would be very grateful, as I have a really good dicussion prepared on fishing, but my book (New Aspects 2) isn't as detailed about the other 2 natural resources.

I believe they answer that question in the geography section of skoool.ie under Geography Sample Answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

People sometimes only have one country prepared, but many fail to answer the question asked.

Not answering enough questions, answering two parts when there is an either/or choice, and answering a question, but not the question asked are the most common reasons for poor marks (in all subjects).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Agree with newgrange. It's extremely important to thoroughly read and understand the question and not to start answering straight away.
    I've made mistakes before in homework where the question would be something like "Explain the factors have have influenced the manufacturing industry in a country of your choice" and I'd start prattling on about secondary industry while the question is actually asking about primary. Stupid things like this could very easily cost you marks, especially on the essay question.

Advertisement