Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soldered plumbing connection

Options
  • 06-02-2005 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

i want to replace the kitchen worktop but the kitchen sink tap is fixed through the old one. i reckon the sink connections are soldered-how can i undo the soldered connection?
    any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

sixtysix wrote:
    i want to replace the kitchen worktop but the kitchen sink tap is fixed through the old one. i reckon the sink connections are soldered-how can i undo the soldered connection?
    any advice appreciated.

I have seen plumbers using solder fittings many times, and they make it look easy.....it aint. Trust me. I spent a whole day playing with them and eventually gave up, and i had all the right gear.
    There are only two ways to go.
    a) try heat....gas blowlamp, with misture of butane and propane
    b) CUT IT and to make life easy for yourself get flexible connections. I don't mean plastic pipe. I refer to rubber tube,surrounded in flexible metal ( a bit like shower hose) and already made up with compression end fittings. Assemble tap end first. You can be out by as much as 6" or more.....there ya go , the job's done already
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

thanks for that
    much apreciated

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

another way is to use 1/2" qualpex pipe - your local builders merchants will have it.
    Use a pipe cutters -hand size to cut the old copper pipe and fit the qualpex pipe witht compression fittings.

They also come in press-on fittings but are more expensive.

Always make sure to put the sleeve into the pipe before you put on the compression fitting.

just another way !!!

karltimber wrote:
    another way is to use 1/2" qualpex pipe - your local builders merchants will have it.
    Use a pipe cutters -hand size to cut the old copper pipe and fit the qualpex pipe witht compression fittings.

They also come in press-on fittings but are more expensive.

Always make sure to put the sleeve into the pipe before you put on the compression fitting.

just another way !!!

If using plexible pipe do not use "push-on" fittings. They use rubber seals and (this frightens me) the pipe is held in place with a metal "tear ring", but it grabs only 1/16" of pipe. That's why they sell special cutters (like scissors) to cut the pipe perfectly square. Use compression fittings ("instantor") and use copper INSERTS. Then you can cut / hack with junior hack saw.
    Original pre-made armoured flexible connection ( with ends terminated with compression nuts) is better. You coudn't go wrong if you tried.
    Regards
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

tapest wrote:
    If using plexible pipe do not use "push-on" fittings. They use rubber seals and (this frightens me) the pipe is held in place with a metal "tear ring", but it grabs only 1/16" of pipe. That's why they sell special cutters (like scissors) to cut the pipe perfectly square. Use compression fittings ("instantor") and use copper INSERTS. Then you can cut / hack with junior hack saw.
    Original pre-made armoured flexible connection ( with ends terminated with compression nuts) is better. You coudn't go wrong if you tried.
    Regards
    t

for what it worth.. would agree,

cut soldered pipe.. do not even want to go there regarding blowlamps.. flux.. brings back nightmares..

use qualpex with push in copper inserts

or much easier, metal braided flexible tubing.. a trip to a B&Q or similar you may even find one pre made with will suit your application.. save yourself a lot of hassle.

all as stated above..

• Advertisement

edmund_f wrote:
    for what it worth.. would agree,

cut soldered pipe.. do not even want to go there regarding blowlamps.. flux.. brings back nightmares..

use qualpex with push in copper inserts

or much easier, metal braided flexible tubing.. a trip to a B&Q or similar you may even find one pre made with will suit your application.. save yourself a lot of hassle.

all as stated above..

"metal braided flexible tubing." Thats the wordind I was looking for. Thanks edmund. FYI they come pre made and are available in different lengths. Builders providers are another outlet.
    t

Advertisement