Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush And Opeth

Options
  • 06-02-2005 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I've heard songs from each band and just wanted to know what
    albums do you recommend.
    (And any other bands that sound the same)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hey Birdman
    ..well am not familiar with Opeth believe it or not...but RUSH are my passion in music...Tell ya the truth Id recomend all their albums!..laughs... the 1st one RUSH was with a different drummer but had some early gems on it but really youd need stuff from their different decades to feel what theyre all about so these few more or less cover most things:

70's: 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres.

80's: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure,
    Hold Your Fire.

90's Roll The Bones , Counterparts.

2003 Vapor Trails

Live Albums: 76 All The Worlds A Stage,
    96 Different Stages
    2004 Rush In Rio

Live Video/DVD 84 Grace Under Pressure Tour
    88 A Show Of Hands
    2004 Rush In Rio

Well there ya go thats the best list to go by theres at least 7 or 8 albums not listed and I like em all!!..but these have more than enough for anyone 70's albums are fascinating as they contain there much loved longer pieces,,..really worth apprcieating, as they show that music is not JUST about 3 minute songs but about music as a whole and how you can push and pull the boundaries this way and that fascinating stuff, real musicians music. 80's stuff be came a bit more streamlined again they wouldnt be left behind, and produced music that was up to date some classics there, and again the 90's the same. Vapor Trails is their comeback album after 5 years off with Neil Pearts tragedies,,and again the DVD from that tour rush in rio is outstanding. Other dvd/vidoes mentioned there are mostly on ebay but worth having.

hope this helps..ciao'; anigo...Baggio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Rush -Rush In Rio DVD

Opeth - Blackwater Park CD

and the greatest technical album of all time,

Cynic - Focus CD - you'll get it on www.cduniverse.com

All solid gold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

I myself have become addicted to the main riff of Earthshine from Rush's Vapor Trails album. It's headbangingly terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i would recommend still life by opeth

also, you should try out colony or the jester race by in flames :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly Blackwater Park, that's what introduced me to Opeth. Mind you, I listened to it for a bit and then it sat on my shelf for about 3 months or so, before I tried listening to it again, and it's an album that just gets better everytime I listen to it. I just never get bored of it, listening to it right now as a matter of fact. It's just unreal, but I'd say give it time.

Now you're not going to get anyone who sounds like Opeth, but check out Porcupine Tree, King Crimson and Green Carnation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

i would recommend still life by opeth

also, you should try out colony or the jester race by in flames :D
    While Jester Race is a masterpiece by any comparison, its not exactly progressive metal akin to the 2 bands inquired about, Colony is another good album, but Whoracle is still In Flames other master piece :)

As for Green Carnation, no man should live without hearing 'light of day, day of darkness', at least once, its 1 song, its an hour long, and its truely breath taking, a must hear for anyone.

edit: Black Water park is also, a great listen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Rush in Rio, or 2112 from Rush would be good ones.

Advertisement