Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 6-series

Options
  • 07-02-2005 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tuned by Breyton to 412bhp, 550NM, 21", 0-100 in 4.8 s, topspeed unknown. Price unknown. Not yet on Breyton website. Below pics - stunning & priceless

9181.jpg
    9183.jpg
    9182.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

I bet they went and ruined it with an auto box'

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel

$lash wrote:
    I bet they went and ruined it with an auto box'

Auto now is not the same as auto a few years (or even decades) ago. For one, topspeed and 0-100 are the same for the 645Ci cabrio auto and manual in the factory standard form, don't know about any tuned ones. Next what is auto? As simple as any car without a clutch pedal? In that case how about autos like SMG, tip (step) tronic, CVT?

I reckon the auto as we know it from the past is on its last legs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

wheels are nice. car is not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

its a dam sight better than this pig...
    E63_00.jpg
    www.hartge.de

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

both above BMW's are ugly and tacky looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

^|^ Yeucky

1986_BMW_635CSi.jpeg

...nice!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree mike65 - the old 6's are cool !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Are these not out yet or something? Ive seen a good few driving around Im pretty sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

The standard 645 from BMW is out, but the ones above are tuned versions from special tuning companies, the Breyton one is savage looking, that hartage one is damn ugly though

sniff, I wish I bought that E24 last year :(

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Auto now is not the same as auto a few years (or even decades) ago. For one, topspeed and 0-100 are the same for the 645Ci cabrio auto and manual in the factory standard form, don't know about any tuned ones. Next what is auto? As simple as any car without a clutch pedal? In that case how about autos like SMG, tip (step) tronic, CVT?

I reckon the auto as we know it from the past is on its last legs

I don't care how good they are ... Any car that changes gear by itself isn't a drivers car ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

mike65 wrote:
    ^|^ Yeucky

1986_BMW_635CSi.jpeg

...nice!

Mike.

I had this discussion with the Missus last night over the absolute gorgeousness that is the old 6 Series. Seems women just don't appricate it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

some men too, that looks like a crock of **** ta me bud..

That Hartge is awful, the kidneys are grossly malformed :(
    $lash wrote:
    I don't care how good they are ... Any car that changes gear by itself isn't a drivers car ...

Ah so you're using the strict definition of an auto then as in the old autobox

528i wrote:
    some men too, that looks like a crock of **** ta me bud..
    oh dear.
    look at these...
    http://www.bmwmovies.net/displayimage.php?pos=-78
    http://www.bmwmovies.net/displayimage.php?pos=-56
    http://www.bmwmovies.net/displayimage.php?pos=-55
    http://www.bmwmovies.net/displayimage.php?pos=-54
    Do you really not like it? The 1st is the M6, the other 3 are a 635csi.

unkel wrote:
    That Hartge is awful, the kidneys are grossly malformed :(

Ah so you're using the strict definition of an auto then as in the old autobox

I have driven a few tiptronics and I thought all of them were rubbish ... There is a delay between when you select the gearchange and the car actually changes gear ...

$lash wrote:
    There is a delay between when you select the gearchange and the car actually changes gear ...

Of course there is. Only way to avoid delay is with CVT. The delay between switching gear on a modern tiptronic or SMG should be shorter than on a manual, even if the latter is driven by a professional

Proof: see my example of acceleration for the 645 manual vs auto. The auto is heavier but has the same torque and power. The acceleration is still the same (even in full auto mode), even compared to the manual driven by a BMW professional tester who knows the exact optimal points of switching gears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Unkel, you won't be able to convince him no matter what you say. He'll still want gears, even when we are flying around in hover cars ;)

I was in a new 6 series, and I thought it was lovely :) My dads RX8 seemed quicker though :S

I'm thinking of upgrading my VW Golf to a beamer soon. What model should I go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Get an X5!!! or an X3- i like travelling in style! or a 7 series, or 320 etc, anything but a 316i compact

we cannot recommend what you want really:-
    what is your budget?
    what model do you prefer 3/5/7, new or old?
    are you after comfort or a sporty ride?
    are you a farmer or would you prefer petrol?

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote:
    Unkel, you won't be able to convince him no matter what you say. He'll still want gears, even when we are flying around in hover cars ;)

Of course I will and I dont care if a paddle shift car is 0.3 of a second quicker to 60 - real drivers cars have a clutch and a gearbox

$lash wrote:
    Of course I will and I dont care if a paddle shift car is 0.3 of a second quicker to 60 - real drivers cars have a clutch and a gearbox

Because it requires skill? There are other skills to driving other than changing the gears. I'm not going to argue with you though, you are obviously set in your ways.
    Kbannon wrote:
    we cannot recommend what you want really:-
    what is your budget?
    what model do you prefer 3/5/7, new or old?
    are you after comfort or a sporty ride?
    are you a farmer or would you prefer petrol?

I like 3's and 5's and I think I'm too young for a 7.

My budget I reckon will be something like 20 k at the max. I like sporty comfort (is that possible)? Definitely petrol, I'm no farmer. I'm also only 23, so my insurance will be reasonably expensive (1100 yoyos on my 1.4 golf currently).

Praetorian wrote:
    Because it requires skill? There are other skills to driving other than changing the gears. I'm not going to argue with you though, you are obviously set in your ways.

Changing gears requires zero skill! I just think you can't beat a good slick gearbox and a balanced clutch - paddle shifts/autos take a lot of the experience out of driving...

E36 325i or 328i (coupé) then!
    (even try E30 M3)

They are both very nice kbannon. Engine sizes (2.5 litres?) maybe too big for me, insurance wise though. Are the ~2000 cc beamers worthwhile?

Praetorian wrote:

Somehow I got a feeling you were going to be proven right. Perhaps he also wants to hold pieces of string in both hands that, when pulled sharpishly, make a manual indicator flip up from the side of the car. Or sit on a wooden bench on a bag of potatoes

Not making this up - this was the way my grandfather learned to drive

Oh and manual gearchanges are for sissies. A real man always double-declutches ;)

Praetorian wrote:
    They are both very nice kbannon. Engine sizes (2.5 litres?) maybe too big for me, insurance wise though. Are the ~2000 cc beamers worthwhile?
    Fair enough. The 2L 320i hasn't as good a power to weight as say the 325i but the straight 6 sounds lovely.
    How about a 318is (E36) - it has a similar power to weight to the 320i (but runs on 4 pots).
    If you want to go back a bit, you could always try this 320is
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/%7Egeo/320is/forsale.html
    The 320is was a standard looking E30 Mtech but with a 2L version of the S14 engine that was in the M3. It was specially made for the Italian and Portugese markets This is a great car and I would get it mself if I had both the moeny and space. It is in absolutely perfect condition and all E30 BMWs are appreciating in value so sell it in a year or two and you will get your money back!

kbannon wrote:
    sniff, I wish I bought that E24 last year :(

No you don't :)

That E30 320is looks fantastic, but maybe not the right choice for Praetorian. LHD is not ideal and makes reselling a lot more difficult. Insurance might also be an issue

Praetorian, your budget gives you lots of choice. One thing though is that any (non-diesel) BMW for €20k will still depreciate a good bit over the next year or two. I agree a '98 318is E36 would be a good starting point. You'll keep almost half of your budget and maybe after another 2-3 years build up of NCB and age, you'll be ready and willing for some heavier guns :)

You might want to look into the E39 5-series as well. Second hand prices are relatively low and it is very possible the insurance would be lower than on a 3-series

This sounds like some very good advice, and I really appreciate it! I've only got a few more months of repayments on my current car, once it's done I'll definitely be buying a beamer. I'll be back for even more advise then, if ye will give it ;)

What do you guys drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

$lash wrote:
    ... There is a delay between when you select the gearchange and the car actually changes gear ...

There's a bigger delay in a manual while you put your foot on the clutch, move the gearstick and take your foot off the clutch....

Advertisement