Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans voting with their feet...literally

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think some people in the US have problems accepting that they (the American public) put Bush in power. Although if they remain citizens they can vote by post, what they can't do is help with the opposition effort at the time of the next election.

Many might think that this is some sort of protest, but I can't see it being percieved that way and it is perception that is important for effective protest. It will be seen as running away from reality. Basically, they need to accept the decision that they, the voters, made. Running away suggests that they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This was mentioned before. Its normal every election, although it was a up a bit from the last one. There was also a surge for new zealand, I believe because a lot of people saw it from LOTR.

Moving to Canada solves nothing though. If they have selective service restarted Canada will be shipping them back. They would be better off to move to Ohio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

they better not come here ... fecking refugees ... send them back, we are full ... blah blah blah and all that jaz :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I don't think it is that surprising. People talk as if Bush pulled another con to get into power. He didnt, that majority of people want him and his wacko policies in power. America is changing (back?) to a more and more extreme right wing conservative country. The left as we would know it is almost none exisitant (the democracts are centerists, not left wing anymore). Personally I would be leaving too

Wicknight wrote:
    America is changing (back?) to a more and more extreme right wing conservative country. The left as we would know it is almost none exisitant (the democracts are centerists, not left wing anymore). Personally I would be leaving too

That’s a bit of a fallacy. Many studies have shown that the majority of American people are very liberal. It’s the right wing media who suppress this and put across the image of America being right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

That’s a bit of a fallacy. Many studies have shown that the majority of American people are very liberal. It’s the right wing media who suppress this and put across the image of America being right wing.

Well on the conterary Bush was reelected with a popular vote aswell as the electoral college vote unlike last time when he didn't get either. Bill Clinton didn't even get the popular vote last time he ran.
    GW Bush hit the nail on the head when late in the election he decided to campaign on a Gay Marriage referendum, Pro-Life anti-abortion and his strong faith with god. These issues won him his second term. Not the economy, not tax cuts and not even his hard ass war on terror. While admittantly his gung hoe attitute to War got him some votes. Gay Marriage opposition and actually managing to make it harder for abortions to take place won him the vote.

The US of A is no longer a liberial country.
    "Gay Bar" - by Electric Six the video can't even be shown on MTV in the USA. While I am in no doubt that millions of east coast and west coast dwelling americans are more liberial in political(Tatcherite) terms than just about every other Eu country. They are in fact a minority now unlike they where pre-Reagon America.

If the Frog loving Americans that are leaving wanted to change the way it is they should all move to Texas and have lots and lots of kids. Then in 20 years time Texas could have a Liberial Party Majority or Democratic Party suppremacy. Ethnic cleansing is the only way to reverse the trend in the USA.

As for Anti-Americanism and blaming the US Administration and not American's themselfs... Since the election we have the athority to lay the blame at the American people(unless they confess to voting for Nader or the other guy). Representiative Democracy is exactly that. Bush represents the views, dreams, assperations and hatred of the American Nation. I will never assume that the US is a nation with the intelligence of their Monkey for a president. But I have absolutely no respect for the USA on anything other than
    They have over 1/2 of the worlds Thermal Nuclear Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles. InHuman Bio-Chemical weapons. War Bases in every country in Europe(even France!). Christian Youth Defence. Racial Hatreds as strong as ever. Mean low Educational standard(if you are reading this and american you are from a rich/educated family)
    I'll continue after some tea and croissants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Also - PLease post some links with these here studies. Perhaps it is left-wing media bias or Amy Goodman. Smae thing I suppose.

But seriously I would like to read them. Not in a ha! i prove you wrong but I would like to use them myself if they are convincing enough

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Wicknight wrote:
    People talk as if Bush pulled another con to get into power. He didnt, that majority of people want him and his wacko policies in power.
    I'm beginning to doubt that more and more as the evidence to the contrary mounts.

http://www.velvetrevolution.us/content/electoralreform/silenceofthescams.php

That's not to say that you haven't a point, though: at the very least, a huge minority of those who voted, voted for Bush.

gom wrote:
    Also - PLease post some links with these here studies. Perhaps it is left-wing media bias or Amy Goodman. Smae thing I suppose.

But seriously I would like to read them. Not in a ha! i prove you wrong but I would like to use them myself if they are convincing enough

I dont have them to hand but I will get them for you this eve when I am home.
    And I still dont believe he won the popular vote and I never will. But I am biased!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

gom wrote:
    They have...War Bases in every country in Europe(even France!). )
    every country in Europe? What about Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Hungry, Czech republic etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

http://iht.com/bin/print_ipub.php?file=/articles/2005/02/06/news/refuge.html

It would appear that american citezens are sick of bush and are leaving. I honestly dont know what to make of this but would they not be of better use to stay and use their vote in the next election.
    A threefold increase will mean 18,000 Americans leave the US for Canada via permanent residency visas. Thats approximately the same number of Canadians who receive permanent residency visas in the US each year, a fair swap!

The number involved is tiny compared to the estimated 800,000 legal immigrants due to move to the US this year, with uncounted illegals.

• Advertisement

toiletduck wrote:
    every country in Europe? What about Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Hungry, Czech republic etc.?

Well they are using Ireland as a stopping point in Shannon and some other base in Ireland (I forget which). Does that count?

Hobbes wrote:
    Well they are using Ireland as a stopping point in Shannon and some other base in Ireland (I forget which). Does that count?
    If we're going to use Shannon as an American 'war base' lets go the whole hog and say the Americans are occupying Dublin since they have a military attache or two in their embassy in Ballsbridge.

DAMN YOU GEORGE DUBYA! DAMN YOU TO HEEEEEELLLLLLLL!

Excep the embassey is generally regarded as that countries soil (so US laws apply). However last time I checked Shannon wasn't owned by the US.

I guess Shannon IS a US war base, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

[pedantic]I thought this was going to be about some new technology that would allow people with upper-body paralysis to vote with their feet using some sort of foot-braille.[/pedantic]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

simu wrote:
    [pedantic]I thought this was going to be about some new technology that would allow people with upper-body paralysis to vote with their feet using some sort of foot-braille.[/pedantic]
    You'd prefer "Americans voting with their feet... figuratively" then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

gom wrote:
    As for Anti-Americanism and blaming the US Administration and not American's themselfs... Since the election we have the athority to lay the blame at the American people(unless they confess to voting for Nader or the other guy). [/i]

SO you can't blame me then :)

Advertisement