Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MotorBike Licence (small bike/big bike)

Options
  • 07-02-2005 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey there,

Can anybody help me out here with some info.

I am currently 23. I have been driving bikes for 6 years. I have a full A1 licence, so I drive a 125cc bike (dragster). I wish to get a bigger bike, not sure exactly yet but say 400-1000cc bike. What do I have to do?

Can I ride any size bike on an A provisional ?/ What size can I ride on an A provisional?

I know there was some change with BHP being measured, how does this affect me?

Is there any truth in that when you are under 25 you must hold a full A licence for two years before you can ride a bike bigger that 125.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

no, you're limited to bikes of 33bhp or less for 2 years after getting your full A. There's no restriction on cc's, just the power/weight ratio i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stephen wrote:
    no, you're limited to bikes of 33bhp or less for 2 years after getting your full A. There's no restriction on cc's, just the power/weight ratio i believe.
    Yep. <= 33bhp or 25kW according to my licence.

In theory there are some big bikes out there that qualify, but any bike shop will be able to tell you.

Be prepared for a bit of a shock. I'm assuming you got your original (A1) provisional before June 2001, which means that when you apply for a class A provisional, you'll have to sit a theory test. Ridiculous, but them's the rules. Your insurance will also take a jump, with your NCB being the only thing working in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

thanks guys, yea I know about the theory test and it was a shock !

So a provisional A is no better to me than my current licence, that sucks.

Anybody know of any bigger bikes that are less than 33 BHP that I could ride?

Also how does the two year thing work, is their a stamp or something on your licnece ? Anyway I'll be 25 in two years anyway !

delanest wrote:
    So a provisional A is no better to me than my current licence, that sucks.
    Ah, there are loads of bikes bigger than 125 that you can use on an A licence. A lot of 250s would easily be under the limit. You can also buy a bigger bike, restricted, and then remove the restrictor when the two years are up.

what makes/models ?

Seamus, I can get a bike under 33bhp on my A1 licence so the A is not an advantage! (no ?)

• Advertisement

delanest wrote:
    what makes/models ?

Seamus, I can get a bike under 33bhp on my A1 licence so the A is not an advantage! (no ?)
    No, cos you can only get an engine size of 125cc max on the A1. You're also limited to 11kW. The A licence allows to get a bike that's more than twice as powerful (during the restrcition). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

delanest wrote:
    what makes/models ?

this should get you started. google will answer everything else !

Thanks lads, got exactly what I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

delanest wrote:
    Thanks lads, got exactly what I was looking for

Slightly OT, from what I've seen most 33BHP bikes are group 5/6 in Hibernian's insurance tables. Haven't got my Bike Buyers Guide to hand to check the Carole Nash group. Ring up your broker/insurer to get a quote on say a Honda Bros, factory restricted Bandit. Sit down first :eek: @23yo it'll be a shock. You might have to wait until you're over 25 for the insurance to be reasonable or acceptable.

Even more OT, only 4 days to go until the restriction comes off _my_ licence :D Roll on the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

delanest
    Im in almost the exact same boat. 23, 125 virago and wanting to upgrade. Rang carol nash about a 400 susuki bandit restricted and they quoted me €1200. I was quoted €850 on the virago so its not really that much of a difference. I have a full A1 licence though. Even looking at the 600 if they'll insure me :)

• Advertisement

Your quotes are about the same as mine, so I could actually get a restricted 400 bandit for the €1200 mark. That is resonable.

On an aside spunkymunky have you priced a restricted 400 bandit recently, aree they hard to come by ?

tbh i havnt seen many about 400cc that is. Seen a lot of bikes 250-600cc at good enough prices. '97's for about 3000ish up to brand new 7000-8000ish.
    The guy from Carol Nash said bikeshops will restrict them for about €300 so its not to bad.

cheers, by the way, that quote for 1200 you got, that was on a provisional A right ?

Yeah it was but i dont think it was right. Was just talking to the boys there in CN and it was different. €1500 for a 250cc and €1700ish for 600cc restricted. Think the €1200 was based on a full A licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

You could check out getting either a Honda cbr250 (double 'R' mc22 version is best) which is an amazing bike (see cbr250.com - I'm Wes) Or a Suzuki sv650. Both amazing bikes..

Would be sweet alright but the guy i was talking to said that they dont really insure provisional licened drivers on sports bikes. Just not worth the risk

Advertisement