Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest Way to Israel

• 07-02-2005 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Myself and and a friend are looking to head out to Israel for the match in March. Anybody know of any decent packages going around. Very few companies doing it and the ones that are are really taking the piss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Myself and and a friend are looking to head out to Israel for the match in March. Anybody know of any decent packages going around. Very few companies doing it and the ones that are are really taking the piss.

There is a good thread on this at http:\\www.foot.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Pretend you're a Zionist without the funds to get to the promised land. That should help cover the cost of getting there and then just book a one-way for the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Just pretend youre Jewish, they'll probably end up kicking some poor unfortunate Palestinian family off their land and give you a house to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

p.pete and Bolbill please PM with a reason why I shouldn't ban you from here for that bullsh!t. This is soccer not politics. Now anyone else replying to this make sure its about the topic on hand.

Bolbill you are already on a final warning here so if I and the other mods are not happy with your excuse you are out of here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As por said, have a look at the 16 page thread on foot.ie. There's a Israeli lad called "the_bonk" answering everyone's questions. He gave these two links (avoid packages. you're booking a flight and accomodation at about 4 times the cost):
    http://www.arkia.co.il/click/cl_4000.main
    http://www.telavivhotels.org.il/eng/telaviv.php
    First of all i would like to say i'm from Israel.
    Second is that my english is only 'ok' .

I read thw whole topic ( took me some time :-) ) and i would like to comment on some things:
    1. If you are REALLY planing to bring a palenstienien ( im sure i have a mistake spelling this word :-) ) flag, so i have to say the police will not take you and your not going to jail . BUT i think it won't be nice to go around it on the streets.
    2. The 'situation' here is getting better and im not saying that you will come here. Tel Aviv is safe and you will be suprised and look back at your review at Israel after you visit here.
    3. IMO you will have a great time here. The city is CLOSEING one of the main street's for you - Hayarkon street , the street were all of the hotels are. what do i mean by that?? That you could just hang around with no traffic. the weather will be great here and you should bring swimsuits with you IMO .
    4. There is a new 'trend' in Israel now....Irish pub's ( Im not kidding ) . I know at least 5 of them . So on friday night you will have what to do here + if you are 18-30 years old , at tha wekkend it's Purim and everyone is dressed funny and having parties EVERWHERE.
    5. Noone in Israel really believes that 15,000 of you will come. The truth is that the expectation is that you will bring here 4,000-5,000 .

I'm not a traval agent and not anything like that and not trying to fool you or giving you.... I just want to help you. As eldad did great until now.

P.S - I would like just to say another sentence about the situation.
    I UNDERSTAND why some of you won't come to Israel because of the situation , but i have to say : what you see on TV is not what happens here. We have a normal life like as you people have, we are not scared to hang around or something like that. You should ask your friend eldad that says he is Irish , so he has no motives to say how 'great' Israel is , and i believe that his answer would be that NOW its safe ( 3 years ago i wouldnt say that , but the situation is MUCH better ).

If you want to say/ask something.....i'm here
    No no no no no.....
    I can now try to convince you how much Israel is safe in this days and in the last 2 years...but i won't.
    The thing i will do is : Ill open a new thread after the game , and ask :
    1. Is Israel safe ? ( 99% will say YES for SURE ).
    2. Did you have fun ? ( depend's on the match's result probably but im sure that besides the game the fans will have a very good time )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Don't go near package deals. Internet flights are defo the way to go.

Unfortunately, the build-up to the Ireland vs Israel games are going to be as much about politics as sport. AFAIK there are a number of pro-Palestine protests being arranged for prior to the game in Dublin, and no doubt these will receive a lot of publicity, and will raise a lot of talking points. So politics will be part of the build up, and therefore IMO the admins should tell us straight whether all talk of politics is forbidden, or whether some might be allowed where it directly relates to the games - so long of course as its not racist one way or the other. That of course then becomes very subjective (personally I didnt see Pete or Bill as being in any way anti-semetic - they were just trying to be funny).

I hear that the Israelis are going out of their way to make the Irish feel welcome, and are really looking forward to the arrival of the renowned Green Army. It would be a shame if a few Irish tried to throw that in their faces by waving Palestinian flags in support of an issue they most likely know little actual facts about.

Personally, I'm very much against mixing sport and politics, but I'd be surprised if the media isnt full of both in the build ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Thanks a million lads. Will post a thread on where I find to be cheapest. I also echo what rooster said in hoping that some misinformed twats don't ruin what promises to be a cracking weekend away by making it about politics (or even sport for that matter) when all it should be about is getting legless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you want to discuss the Palestinian/Isreali situation go to Politics. If you want to discuss the football match (including travelling to it) you can do that here. The reason I reprimanded the two posters above is because this could have spiralled off topic rapidally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

daveirl wrote:

i have to admit i would never have even thought of bringing a palestine flag! some people are just out to cause trouble, we don't want to turn into houlligans here in ireland and ruin our great reputation as the best travelling support in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Cheapest way to Israel? I'd say walking. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

FatherTed wrote:
    Cheapest way to Israel? I'd say walking. ;)

But if he has a Bike , then it would cost the same , once he doesn't need repairs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

or swim, tis pretty much a clear run most of the way. in fact, make it a triathlon, cycle to waterford, swim to Israel, then walk. film it, put it on the net, become a millionaire.

Stephens Green Travel in Dublin appear to be the best deal around the place.Its costing €1600 for the two of us. Saucy enough but sure what of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Medium to well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Save yourself a few quid mate and don't go with an agent. You can get a return flight with Air France (leaving on the Friday, returning on the Monday) for 1,100.

Ya but with tickets and hotels it is much of sameness really.

Advertisement