Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Client IP through Reverse Proxy?

• 07-02-2005 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

I'm using Apache do to reverse proxy and virtual hosting, so the apache server is forwarding requests to the machines running the actual web apps based on the hostname in the request. Nothing strange there. But sometimes in the web apps I need the IP address of the client in order to authenticate it. I'm obviously getting the IP address of the proxy in the apps. Is there any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Have you tried using squid instead of apache on the forwarding machine?

Do your webapps know that they are being reached by reverse-proxy?
    Perhaps adding no-cache, pragma headers to their generated files might help.

Do you have the option of changing your authentication mechanism?

Squid would allow you cover this requirement using an IP based
    access control list, and only forward requests if they passed.
    Then you could confirm the rest of your authentication requirements
    on the backend server. (This obviously works best if your backend server is only listening to your proxies, but I assume this is the case?)

Any useful ideas there?

NiallB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry to go off-topic almost immediately, but I've been asked by a client to reverse proxy some of his machines and I've been looking into Apache (not a big fan of Squid). How do you find it? Have you benchmarked it against Squid, and if so how did it perform?

adam

Advertisement