Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wierd insurance quotes

Options
  • 07-02-2005 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Am thinking of buying my mothers mighty 1999 1.0L Seat Arosa from her as she is buying a new Yaris. Just phoning the usual suspects for quotes, and it has thrown up a surprise. I am 28, never had my own policy but have more than 10 years named, 5 1/2 years full license, no points accidents or claims. Eagle Star online quoted €1300 3rd party, Quinn Direct over the phone quoted €1080, the best online via 123.ie was €950, but FBD over the phone quoted €490 3rd party, €560 full comprehensive. Can this be correct? Why would one be so far off the rest of the pack?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why? Because this is Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm just worried that the FBD quote is some mistake, that she submitted my age as '38' instead of '28' or something like that! If I had to go for any of the other quotes I would be paying more in insurance than I would for the car itself, which I would find it extremely hard to justify - I don't need a car *that* badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

FBD are frequently lower than anyone else. They catch is there's a lot of terms and condition's before they insure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I just received my renewal there on Friday, I'll show you how it progressed over the last couple of years:

1.8L Volvo S40 - Full license 2 yrs (up until then it was provisional) - 30 yrs old later on this month.

2 yrs ago - €1400 odd
    Last year - €900 odd
    This year - €524

This is for me and my g/f as named driver, NCB protection and cover for driving other cars. Plus the usual extras e.g. courtesy cars etc...

Nice progression, hope it continues ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

do either u or ur parents have other policices with fbd?
    sometimes this causes the premium to b cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ring them back and get them to verify that the details they have are correct. They will have your details on the insurance proposal form which you will have to sign and send to them anyway so you can double check that.

As already mentioned it could be cheaper because you have another policy but usually you would have to mention this at the start.

I have been with FBD for the last 2 years and have had no issues with them and they have always been the cheapest. There has been a difference of around €400 between them and the dearest quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The policy details in paper should be mailed to me tomorrow, so I will double check then. I was expecting to be quoted a good bit higher (though not over €900) as I have never had my own policy before. That said I am old enough and the car is under-powered enough to hope for a fairly cheap price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis a sad state of affairs when we wonder if somethings too cheap!

Mike.

Advertisement