Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yell.com introduces NI slang!

Options
  • 07-02-2005 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

bbc
    Searching for craic on the web

A linguistics expert has been drafted in to help with an internet search engine which recognises Northern Ireland slang.
    Dr Alison Henry of the University of Ulster has provided consultation on the type of words users may type into the website.

Colloquialisms such as gutties, craic, poke and bog will be recognised on the search engine Yell.com.

Bevy/scoop = Drink
    Gutties = Trainers
    Poke = Ice-cream
    Offees = Off-Licence
    Bog = Toilet
    Piece = Sandwich/Slice of bread
    Craic = Entertainment/Fun
    Chippy = Chip shop

Which words do you use in everyday life?

me - probably Bog, Chippy, Gutties and Craic..

I have heard of Poke <Derry City word?>... but that word just sounds stange.. "hello Mr ice-cream man - can I have a poke?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I use 'Craic' all the time - but living in Prague I usually have to explain myself afterwards.

I suppose I'd use Offee, Bevy and Chippy when I have the need. And Bog would be my word of choice for the 'ol WC. They all seem to be reasonably well understood on the international scene.

The rest of them I've not really encountered before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Bevy/scoop = Drink
    Gutties = Trainers
    Poke = Ice-cream
    Offees = Off-Licence
    Bog = Toilet
    Piece = Sandwich/Slice of bread
    Craic = Entertainment/Fun
    Chippy = Chip shop

Which words do you use in everyday life?

me - probably Bog, Chippy, Gutties and Craic..

I have heard of Poke <Derry City word?>... but that word just sounds stange.. "hello Mr ice-cream man - can I have a poke?"

Actually he's called the poke man, and drives the poke van. I guess it does sound weird, but then people in derry wouldn't notice it of you if you said "I'm going for a poke, d'ye wanna 99?"

Chippy, poke, bog (most used - word and utility hehe), craic, and offy

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bang_bang_rosie

Gutties is a great word, use it all the time, though when living in Dublin i was forced to call them runners. Don't know why I don't run anywhere in them, except maybe to escape the Poke man. :eek:
    Gutty is another word for a tramp so makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

i would say chippy and offy all the time, and craic sometimes, but as long as boss and sir doesnt get in ill be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement