Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

boston just ur an engineering student doesn't mean you have a rashers about anything.

How about an engineering student whos worked in the building game since he was 14? I know what I'm talking about, you don't. It's easy to sit on the side lines with crap like, "If I had a 100,000 euro I'd build it out of gold". Truth is in the highly regulated world of construction these days, 100,000 on something like that could easily be spent before a single brick is put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

how about:

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

lol.. kev you'd want to put up a better fight than that. I'm gonna start scoring these.

Boston 1
    Kev 0

Though at the beginning it seemed pretty even, the massachusetts capital countered with a killing blow, to which kev could be nothing but stubbornly defiant. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

how about:

No.
    hate to break it to ye kev but he's right...u lose...whats new?

gosh you guys are really sad.

I stand by what I said, 100,000 could build you a one story pub that's less than 100 square metres.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

acording to my dad. (who's a bricklayer)

you wont.

bricklayers are generally a bunch of greedy bast*rds so i wouldnt use brick.

ask him if i made it out of wood, or concrete caste things.

Well the evidence appears to be mounting up against me,

a 1st year eng. with 6 years working experience in the building industry, a 3rd physisit who's currently brewing his own alcohol, a 3rd Maths student, a 1st year deaf studies student, who, most importantly, is son of a brickie.

So what would I get for 100,000? Some architects plans and an informal contract with a builder he may bother his ass todo it between now and christmas?

apart from the cost of land, which we shall disregard,

building materials, builders wages, carperters wages, electricains wages, plumbers wages, labours wages, machine hire, PLI, waste charges, fridges, bar fittings, furnature, electriciy bill for during construction.

aroind 300000/500000 eurom roughly

Joe's a 2nd yr eng isn't he? I hate to be "apparently" switching sides but if it costs 300000-500000 then how in the name of god would it be profitable to build a one story building anywhere but dublin city centre!??

• Advertisement

theres a big diffrence in wages price in dublin compared to the rest of the country

Fair enough but I find it hard to believe it would be to such a degree..

remember the cost of livving is a lot higher in Dublin then the rest of the country, my dad says it would be closer to the 300000 mark, but the PLI is Ver exspensive in Dublin....

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Joe's a 2nd yr eng isn't he? I hate to be "apparently" switching sides but if it costs 300000-500000 then how in the name of god would it be profitable to build a one story building anywhere but dublin city centre!??

i'm second year engineering. But More importantly I've worked in the game for years. Kev said rebuild the Pav for 100,000. You won't rebuild the Pav for that much, because.

It's not a standard building design, so you need specific plans drawn up and you need to buy specific materials. The more you buy the less these things cost.

It's not one floor its two floors. The locker rooms and tilots down stairs are pretty big.

The fact thats theres less of an area is not a plus. It cost more per square meter for a smaller area then a larger area.

New Pav would have to meet all the new building standards. Talking 30 grand plus just for that. This includes fire exits, wheelchair accesss, ect.

Surveys on the land would have to take palce, and a load of other admin type things that a normal extension or house wouldn't require.

Now this is just saying, what if the Pav was knocked down. Since the Pav is listed it means everything you do to it, from replacing a pain of glass has to have planning permission. Trust me, your costs increase dramatically

ah, so i was right, in a way.

if you don't take me too literally, just building in the middle of no where, with non crooked builders, a 50m, 1 story, pub. like a cottage but with kegs. 150000 max surely.... remember i didn't mean an exact replica of the whole buidling, just the pub part.

if it was in the middle nowhere, you'd have to purchase the land, remember that,

No you where completely wrong. You'r not building a cottage pub in the middle of no where. You building a two story(reguardless of what the other story is used for) Pub in the middle of dublin, at the height of the building bume, in a highly regulated field. Also the materials you use for domestic use, will not pass the materials you have to you for a public house, especially one that serves food.

there ya go....

kev i don't appriecate the poor insults in pm's just cause u were wrong, get over it.

And you won't buy the land in the middle of no where anymore for 100k never mind build a pub, even in the arse hole of nowhere its going to cost ye 250/300k to build it n stuff, and min another 100k prolly fer the land........ And wages arn't that much lower outside dublin, heck i've yet to get paid as much working in dublin as i made down home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Jaysus...

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

Boston wrote:
    bume
    :confused:

If you gave someone a plot of land and 100,000 they'd be able to rebuild the pav for ya, how come this yoke is so expensive. I'd love to see the pav extended, go up another story and proper ramp accesss etc etc etc.

That's what I orginally said. How it has spawned this, I don't really care. Anyway, I was misleading when I said rebuiliding the Pav, because I didn't remember about the rugby training rooms etc. I was only speaking about the area where you drink.

So if you're going to go to the trouble of disputing everything I say will you please read what you're disputing.

And in the public areana, Ian, Fuok you. Does that deserve a ban?

And in the public areana, Ian, Fuok you. Does that deserve a ban?
    if u said it in the public arena i'd have barely noticed, but should i recieve any more in pm's i will ban u. :rolleyes:

sounds like someone's in trouble....

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

EduCat wrote:
    Jaysus... :eek:
    just what i was thinking..what has been going on around here :eek:
    guys chill, all this talk of banning is seriously ruining the karma around here :)

just what i was thinking..what has been going on around here :eek:
    guys chill, all this talk of banning is seriously ruining the karma around here :)
    ...i didn't bring it up

n speaking of which what u doing up so early?

It's spring time sure.. u gotta smell the daffodils.

I'm still in bed tho

should i recieve any more in pm's i will ban u

grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The crux of the issue is not the cost of building new buildings or buying land or banning people fron Boards.ie

But the Pav is such an antiquated name, considering what it now resembles - should it be renamed the P-Bar or the Q-Pav?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Maybe we'll call it the Chav. I see a planning permission on the Lincoln Inn.
    I want an SU run bar aaaaaarrhghghhg!!!

Advertisement