Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on how to proceed

Options
  • 07-02-2005 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've been jumping through many hoops in order to get broadband for my house, and i'm at my wits end. I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some advice on where to go/ who to talk to next.

This is the situation as it stands.

On the 10th of december last we decided to apply for broadband, y'know drag ourselves into the information age, i went to 3G and eircom and checked that the line passed, which they did

but before we got online a few things had to be sorted first.

We had a strange line set up where the line went into my grandfathers house, then to ours. Effectivly making us an extension of our grandfathers line. To achieve this we had a piece of eircom hardware which i think is known as a Gemini box. The way it works is that a call comes into our grandfathers house, and both phones ring. whoever answers first can then transfer the call to the other phone if needed. I'm not sure why this setup was in place, i think it was to get out of paying line rental [Bill in our Granfathers name, who is exempt from line rental due to being an O.A.P]

anyway...

So we had the line setup changed, a technician came out and litterally just moved a wire from one port to another on the box. i should know, i watched him.

I then went back in to 3G and had the line polled again, and it passed.

Fast forward a few days and a contract for a new line appears in our letterbox.
    So instead of charging for some line maintanance [which is all it was] eircom had slapped us with a bill of €128, and deleted all the old records of our A/C

So i go home, ring eircom and jump through hoops and eventually i got €80 knocked off the bill for the new line and we sent off the contract.
    I was assured that our line would be polled in '24-48' hours and then our broadband application would be processed.

So far so good, but a week or so later there was no sign of the router, so i ring eircom again.

Eventually a sales rep tells me that 'We have no record of your order', the reciept of the order infront of me apparently was a mass hallucination on my part.
    So along with the information on our lines being able for broandband, eircom deleted everything to do with our old A/C including the broadband order.

once again i order a line test, and wait.

Now, today[7th of feburary] i checked with eircom, and lo and behold they have polled our line, but now it fails.

I've checked the surrounding houses, and our next-door neighbours on both sides have passed [the lines don't start failing untill near the end of our road, where the distance comes into play]

The excuses i've been given range from 'it's a carrier line, so thats why' which makes no sense, because if it was a carrier line, wouldn't it have failed in the first place, before this debacle began? Also according to one young wag it could have been squirrels.....

Anyway, i'm bloody livid, and i'd really appriciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks in advance

TheLordOfCheese

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Check to see if your grandfather's line still passes, and if it does order BB on that and either hardwire a connection into your place, or use a wireless router to transfer the signal through to your place.

The other option is to fight the Eircom bureaucrats and ask for a test by an engineer, which you will probably have to pay for. You may have to take it up through the ranks of Eircom to get this, but persistance can sometimes pay off.

Good luck
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

I had problems with Eircom as well and they told me that the line had failed and there was nothing that I could do about it that i just had to wait for the exchange to upgrade my line.

Then I got thinking and rang them again, this time to the faults dept. saying that there was an intermittent noise on the line. They sent a tech out to the house he had a little poke around then tried to blame the cordless phone for the noise, that’s fine I said, then got a base unit out plugged it in and called again explaining the steps I took and I still have a problem. Another tech arrives has another poke around, starts trying to blame something else in the house, now fast forward this is the 8th time a tech comes to the house, and they replaced the line and I now get a pass on my line for the BB :D

Just keep calling them out to the house for an intermittent noise problem and after a while they get so pi**ed off they'll just replace the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Eircom are unf...believeable when it comes to broadband. I am involved in a situation where we are trying to get a dsl line installed for a person in Ennis (information town) and it has been ongoing since the 8th December 2004.

I won't go into the circumstances but it's like staff are trying to avoid meeting the targets set for dsl installations.

We (the organisation with teleworkers and various dsl needs) are considering moving our whole bb requirements over to one of the other cos but the fear is that it will only get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Pauly26 wrote:
    I had problems with Eircom as well and they told me that the line had failed and there was nothing that I could do about it that i just had to wait for the exchange to upgrade my line.

Then I got thinking and rang them again, this time to the faults dept. saying that there was an intermittent noise on the line. They sent a tech out to the house he had a little poke around then tried to blame the cordless phone for the noise, that’s fine I said, then got a base unit out plugged it in and called again explaining the steps I took and I still have a problem. Another tech arrives has another poke around, starts trying to blame something else in the house, now fast forward this is the 8th time a tech comes to the house, and they replaced the line and I now get a pass on my line for the BB :D

Just keep calling them out to the house for an intermittent noise problem and after a while they get so pi**ed off they'll just replace the line.

Hmm, that might just work.
    though i had them do a line check from the faults dept and according to the nice lady on the other end, our line was 'perfect'.

still, i'll try that approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

New lines are free ths month and next

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224824

• Advertisement
Advertisement