Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying & Installing Kitchen Units

Options
  • 07-02-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I am doing a little upgrading of the existing kitchen and I am looking at adding the following units

2 x 600mm Floor
    1 x 500mm Floor
    1 x 1000mm Wall
    1 Length of worktop
    (Also Plinth and all such things)

I don't have a problem with assembling and fitting these units myself, I am just wondering if I would be better off going to Cash and Carry Kitchens or just head off to B&Q.

Does anyone know if Cash and Carry kitchens have these items in stock ? And would the doors from a B & Q kitchen fit the Cash and Carry units ?

We have an old kitchen in the house and B & Q have the doors most similar to those that are on the existing units however I think the Cash and Carry units might be better made but they don't have doors the same as the ones that I want.

Its a cheap make over of a Kitchen until we can afford to knock down a wall and do the job properly.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cionn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Cionn wrote:
    I am doing a little upgrading of the existing kitchen and I am looking at adding the following units

2 x 600mm Floor
    1 x 500mm Floor
    1 x 1000mm Wall
    1 Length of worktop
    (Also Plinth and all such things)

I don't have a problem with assembling and fitting these units myself, I am just wondering if I would be better off going to Cash and Carry Kitchens or just head off to B&Q.

Does anyone know if Cash and Carry kitchens have these items in stock ? And would the doors from a B & Q kitchen fit the Cash and Carry units ?

We have an old kitchen in the house and B & Q have the doors most similar to those that are on the existing units however I think the Cash and Carry units might be better made but they don't have doors the same as the ones that I want.

Its a cheap make over of a Kitchen until we can afford to knock down a wall and do the job properly.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cionn.
    cash and carry are very good all the stock are in cork so u have to wait a few days but they are well worth the wait they come with the doors on them so you only have to screw them together b ang q are rubbish

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Carpenter wrote:
    cash and carry are very good all the stock are in cork so u have to wait a few days but they are well worth the wait they come with the doors on them so you only have to screw them together b ang q are rubbish

Jaysus Carpenter - you like Cash and Carry kitchens? I can remember you raving about them in another thread?

I have heard that the C&C kitchens are not the strongest around the where the doors are hung?? That the hinges are screwed onto the carcass? Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Avoid B&Q, had to cancel an order with them due to ridiculous delivery time today. Wouldn't buy anything off them unless they had it in store and you could take it away there and then. (Wasn't going to leave their UK Warehouse till 25th, and then at least another week till delivery. In the shop we were told it was "normally a week").

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

bought a number of kitchens from B&Q and had them fitted by a carpenter. Great quality and really cheap compaed to C&C!!! Ordered 2 on saturday and got a call this morning saying max of 3 weeks and tomorrow will have a date...

C&C doors will not generally fit B&Q carcasses as they are different sizes. Best with B&Q as it only takes a few mins to assemble and they come with a comic showing you how to do it....

yop wrote:
    Jaysus Carpenter - you like Cash and Carry kitchens? I can remember you raving about them in another thread?

I have heard that the C&C kitchens are not the strongest around the where the doors are hung?? That the hinges are screwed onto the carcass? Is this true?
    Hi
    I have fitted about 40 or 50 cash and carry and only had 2 call backs
    1 because a dog pissed on the floor and it ruined the kicker
    2 because i left a door on the ground and it got a bad mark on it ( silly me)
    so as you can see i have full faith in them and who ever said the doors are a bit dodgy
    dont know what they are talking about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for that,
    tell me is it a case you have to take what you get with the units or can you customise them with racks and trays etc or does it cost a fortune.
    Also do they provide the work top?? Can you leave it out and get your own??

yop wrote:
    Thanks for that,
    tell me is it a case you have to take what you get with the units or can you customise them with racks and trays etc or does it cost a fortune.
    Also do they provide the work top?? Can you leave it out and get your own??
    yes u can customise until your head hurts
    the normal price is 3500 to 4500
    and yes you can get your own worktop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

out of curiosity, whats the story with these ad's they run (for C+C) that you can get all units excluding sink, appliances etc for €1795.

Is there a ton of extras included there to bring it up to €3.5k or are you talking about fitting as well in that price?

samo wrote:
    out of curiosity, whats the story with these ad's they run (for C+C) that you can get all units excluding sink, appliances etc for €1795.

Is there a ton of extras included there to bring it up to €3.5k or are you talking about fitting as well in that price?
    Hi
    I know nothing about these ad,s sorry

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Do C&C have beech block counter top.

have you fitted it ? and would you recommend ??

Thx
    Karl.

• Advertisement

karltimber wrote:
    Do C&C have beech block counter top.

have you fitted it ? and would you recommend ??

Thx
    Karl.
    HI
    As far as i know they dont ? ( not to sure) and yes i have fitted it
    would i recommend yes why not if you like it
    just keep it clean all the time

karl why are you looking for it have u seen it in a picture or real life

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

as friend of mine had a beech block counter top and it looked excellent.

would prefer it over laminate any day

Ikea have a pic of it here --for any one who wants to see the type I am talking about

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=7&productId=25731&langId=-20&parentCats=10110*10752

karl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Got a quote from a local fella - he beats both (including fitting) Cash & Carry's price before fitting. Also coming in a good bit cheaper on the appliances too. Works out at over a grand cheaper than either. He did the outlaws so we know he does a good job.

The other thing, which I'd really recommend, we met him on site in what will be the kitchen. He could talk through various ideas and see what would work for the space and layout. Came back with a better design than either us or Cash & Carry could come up with. Finally, he also had more flexibility with the presses - where cash & carry were talking about facing up gaps, or throwing in a wine rack, he can adjust the widths so that we aren't wasting space.

Maybe worth asking a few of the local companies/fellas. We got some crazy quotes, but then we also got a few decent ones too.

Advertisement