Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

silly bytch

Options
  • 07-02-2005 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi folks

thur nite in cork, trying to exit student complex near vic x, some lady left me thru (the first lane of traffic), i drive out and some cow never stopped to leave me out and i nudged her 1/4 panel, leaving a slight dent.

so, she freaks out and calls the cops etc. they see that little damage was caused and i said i would sort her car out. she said she would take it to a garage friday and call me.

no call fri, or sat.

i figured i could take the panel off myself and take it to a panel beater i know, and get it donr for very little.

but today hib ring me to my shock and go on about the accident. i said DONT ring the insurance companys, the guarda said it as well......but this stupid cow.....grrrrrrrrr

so the hib lady said she would get back to the cow about it, i got 6+ yrs ncb/ i told her i would fix this dent yet she loses the rag.

bah!

my car is fine btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

watch it now, bet she will suddenly have a very sore neck!..

Assume you got the name of the Garda that responded to the accident.

Perhaps a trip to your local Garda station to give a formal statement, so you have something down on the record would be a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

i dont have the guards name.

she needs a clip across the ear. i might go to the guards here and see what happens. i made it clear that i would pay for this, maximum was in my opinion, 100euro. i could have the panel removed and took it to the panel beater i know. get it polished and stuff for virtually nothing. yet this bytch calls the insurance company.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Unfortunately she can take it to any garage she wants to get a quote - you have no right to suggest or advise a garage. If the quotes she comes back with are huge, you can put it through the insurance and let their assessor , eh, assess the damage. They may/will query the garage if they feel the price is outlandish.

You can then choose to pay the claim yourself, so your no claims won't be affected.

My dad tipped a guy a few months back - about one/two inch scrape which was far from serious - the quote included €250 worth of paint!! Assessor didn't bring the price down at all, my dad forked out €700 to stop his no claims been affected....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 joedublinka

kdevitt wrote:
    Unfortunately she can take it to any garage she wants to get a quote - you have no right to suggest or advise a garage. If the quotes she comes back with are huge, you can put it through the insurance and let their assessor , eh, assess the damage. They may/will query the garage if they feel the price is outlandish.

You can then choose to pay the claim yourself, so your no claims won't be affected.

My dad tipped a guy a few months back - about one/two inch scrape which was far from serious - the quote included €250 worth of paint!! Assessor didn't bring the price down at all, my dad forked out €700 to stop his no claims been affected....

once one has a 5 year bonus in this country go with allianz AND FULLY PROTECT IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

sorry to hear about your accident - she sounds like a real 'so-and-so' !

As a matter of interest, how can you 'take the panel off' if it is the 1/4 panel you hit ?
    (1/4 panels are normally welded on/part of the bodyshell).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Somewhat off-topic, but why does you driving out in front of her make her a 'silly bytch?' Too many people expect traffic to stop to let them out, to the point where they'll blatantly drive out in front of people to get what is a courtesy, not a right of way. They expect good manners from others when their own are obviously shocking.

She probably called the insurance company for the same reason she called the gardaí, to ensure that you didn't try to get out of carrying out the repairs. She knows nothing about you and for someone who is unsure what their rights are in the event that you don't answer the phone, or prove to be generally untrustworthy, the safest option is to play it by the book to ensure she doesn't lose out.

the whole insurance system in this country is a scam. u can b accident frr for 20 years, have a tap , and ur premium skyrockets. when buying insurance dont buy on price alone. always have ur bonus fully protected. axa only offer a step back system ie if u have 6 years bonus and have a tap ur down to 1 or 2 years-this is a scam. protect ur bonus even if it costs a little more. that way u can drive with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not trying to scare you - but what Silvera says is spot on. Rear 1/4 panels on cars are often a very big deal to fix as the panels are always welded on and basically forms part of the shell. As opposed to front outer wings, doors, bonnets etc. which just bolt on.

This may be the reason why she's involving insurance - the quote she got from the garage could be quite expensive - maybe a couple of grand.

BrianD3

i dont have the guards name.

she needs a clip across the ear. i might go to the guards here and see what happens. i made it clear that i would pay for this, maximum was in my opinion, 100euro. i could have the panel removed and took it to the panel beater i know. get it polished and stuff for virtually nothing. yet this bytch calls the insurance company.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. christ!

mah hahahahahaha there is no way any 'legitimate' garage will repair even a dent for less than between 500-1500 euro.

its the side indicator panel. i had a honda coupe and some nob banged a door agaisnt it and dented it. i took it off,sucked it out and polished it. fixed.

im going to wait to see what happens, but if the cost is too much im going to tell her let me fix it <by my panel beater> and if shes not happy with the outcome then thats a different story.

but, deffo a bitch!

• Advertisement

its the side indicator panel. i had a honda coupe and some nob banged a door agaisnt it and dented it. i took it off,sucked it out and polished it. fixed.

im going to wait to see what happens, but if the cost is too much im going to tell her let me fix it <by my panel beater> and if shes not happy with the outcome then thats a different story.

but, deffo a bitch!

I know I spellt out the legalities earlier - but I fail to see why she's a bitch when you're the one who crashed into her. And as for telling her to let you fix it, forget it. You damaged her car, she has every right to get the most expensive, well trained staff to fix it. Theres no different story - you're liable, build a bridge and get over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

kdevitt wrote:
    You damaged her car, she has every right to get the most expensive, well trained staff to fix it.

just to be the devil's advocate, i thought the principle of indemnity applied.. e.g. if you hit a car, you will pay to bring it back to its original state, not to the state of the car when it was new. Realise there are a lot of shades of grey here, but if it is a simple case where a quarter panel and been pushed in, with no tearing or kinking of the metal, this would not sound like a EU500 job to me. If she tried to push through a quote for this, should she have to produce recipts? e.g. get damage assesed for EU500, only recieve money on recipts from garage for EU500. Always seems to me that if you are involved in an accident which someone else was to blame it is like winning the lottery, money no object.. sad part is that money is an object, and we all just end up paying in higher insurance costs..

Personally i say go X in the city, if you can get her to agree to repairing it outside of the insurance, great.. lower insurance costs for everyone else. If it does go through the insurance expect to pay the full value of the claim probably within your first renewal anyway.

Have been through this before I'm afraid - its not quite a case of taking out the vaseline and hoping for a smooth ride, but the injured party can get quotes from whoever they want - has nothing to do with you knowing some guy down a lane with a suction cup who can pull a dent out at fifty yards...

If its just a wing, then its the cost of a new wing and spraying it - would probably be cheaper than paying for a panel beater... I'd imagine ther'd be no change from €500 whichever way its done... DaveD on the site should be able to clarify anything I'm wrong on - he's an insurance dude...

if she had here eyes 1/2 open she could have seen

I) the other car longside her stop, to leave me thru

II) my headlights

she was only about 22 id say, but thats beside the point. if she was tuned into the traffic around her she would have noticed another car (me) trying to branch out.

i'll be flipped imf im paying 500 bob for her panel. she can take a hike. we had a verbal agreement in front of the cops that i would fix her car. period.
    i stand by that.

the cop said you got two options, go thru the insurance, or sort it between yourselves.

i said since the damage was so little i would settle with her, and he said thats grand so and left if like that

so thats my 50cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

and how is she supposed to trust you'll stick by your word? what if the damage is more as some here suspect, and it's going to cost > 1000, will you still stand by your word and fix it/have it fixed? Maybe, but she can't take your word for that, if you say "oh yeah, tough luck", she's going to be out of pocket, and at the end of the day you hit her, not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder; are you one of those f*cking muppets who thinks the road belongs to them and pull out because "the plonker should stop, as he should have seen my ultra-bright neons on my souped-up muppet mobile from a mile down the road"???

I hope she gets you by the balls. Why? Because so far you think its all her fault that you tried to cross two lanes of traffic, and crashed into her car. Its pr*ts like you who make everyone else's insurance go up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

the cop said you got two options, go thru the insurance, or sort it between yourselves.

i said since the damage was so little i would settle with her, and he said thats grand so and left if like that

The cop is dead right. She gets a quote for the car to be repaired - not you. And you can then decide whether to pay it yourself or use your insurance. Mostly, people go to a main dealer to get a quote on a repair.

You have no redress you damaged her car even if you don't like it that way. Personally, I wouldn't trust someone who damaged my car to say "I'll get it done for €100 round the back of the North SIde Shopping Centre mate". You are liable and have zero influence on where it is repaired.

The only other party that could have influence is your insurance company should you wish to use them; they would send for example an independent valuer to look at the damage and "OK" the work being claimed through you if the damage estimate was over a certain amount. Mostly if it's over €1000 they will send a valuer.

Maybe next time don't presume you know what other drivers are thinking?

its the side indicator panel....

Then it's the front wing, not the 1/4 panel which is at the rear of a car.
    (I should know, I worked as a panel beater for over 6 years).

You said she was about 22.
    Well I'll stick my neck out here and say that as bad as most drivers are re road /traffic awareness, women are usually worse than average.

I'd reckon she was driving along looking straight ahead only and (as far as she is concerned) you came out of nowhere and hit her.

NEVER presume that another driver will stop for you, let you out in traffic, etc etc ............by expecting so is only asking for trouble.

If more people drove defensively (and I don't mean agressively!!) there would be far less accidents on Irish roads !

Defensively driving means expecting the worst at all times, i.e. -
    Will there be somebody walking along the country road at night around the next bend?
    Does that driver pulling out of the side road ahead see me coming? etc. etc. etc.

...........oh, and I too would not trust a stranger who said they would get my car fixed.

I have heard of too many people renageing on their 'promises'.

(P.S. no offence, x in the city, I'm sure you meant what you said)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kdevitt wrote:
    you're liable, build a bridge and get over it...
    Or hide under it and wait for some goats.

• Advertisement

getting abit sour here are we.

of course i would have got her car fixed. i saw what damage was done, it was miniscule. she had my plate number and can easily sue my ball* off i i dont get it fixed.

and no, i dont have neons and i didnt barge out and hit her smack on. does 6 yrs + ncb mean much to you?

im going to wait and see what the cost will be. if its too excessive i will have a word with my insurance company and see what happens.

i know the insurance system here is fcuked up but i'll see what happens.

when i said i would get it fixed, i didnt mean by my young brother and his meccano set.......there is actually panel beaters you know who can actually do quality repairs., the panel wasnt creased, i looked at it. there is no paint job needed from what i saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

hi folks

thur nite in cork, trying to exit student complex near vic x, some lady left me thru (the first lane of traffic), i drive out and some cow never stopped to leave me out and i nudged her 1/4 panel, leaving a slight dent.

my car is fine btw.

So you were going at 90 deg to 2 lanes of traffic, all going in the same direction, (even if they weren't, doesn't matter).
    The closest car to you stops and you pull in front and past it into the 2nd lane where you ruba against some passing vehicle?. or that's how I read it at least.

Not a good idea to progress across a lane that may have moving vehicles in it. Let them pass or come to a stop, but don't assume that they will stop, just because you are where you are.
    if the cars were traveling in the same directions the 2nd car out would not have seen you anyway, you may have been lucky you were not "T-boned"
    If coming the opposite way, she could have made life easy for everyone by letting you progress..... but making others life easier and allowing traffic to progress ahead of their own ajenda is not something that enters many drivers minds on many occasions, if at all.

Talking to a guy across the wall here, a $700 accident claim has cost him $2100 in increased rates so far. so I guess ins co's, like used car salesmen are a universal breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

i'll be flipped imf im paying 500 bob for her panel. she can take a hike. we had a verbal agreement in front of the cops that i would fix her car. period.
    i stand by that.
    Would this be in front of the same garda whose name you never took ?

Get over it, you hit her car, you being totally in the wrong.

Dead right she's gone to her insurance company for guidance and main dealer for her repairs. I know in the case of Toyotas, that if you get repairs done by a Toyota certified repair shop, your anti corrosion warrantee is unaffected. The car has to be restored to the condition it was before you hit her car, that includes the bodywork and it's warrantee unaffected.

I) the other car longside her stop, to leave me thru

II) my headlights

she was only about 22 id say, but thats beside the point. if she was tuned into the traffic around her she would have noticed another car (me) trying to branch out.
    Next time perhaps, you'll pay more attention as you drive and not rely on others to make allowances for your bad driving

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry lad but she is dead right, I got a tip of a young lad there about 3 years ago, same situation, "I will fix it, no need for cops, only a scratch" etc... etc
    I was the honest tw*t who took his word, got about 2 calls for him to meet him, of course he did not turn up.
    Got my solicitor onto it and was told that unless I had evidence or witness or garda report then I had nothing to stand up in court.
    SO since then I have been rear ended twice, both occassions I have asked driver if they are ok, both were, rang cops and let them deal with it even when one asked me not to, said he "pay for it himself" , went to the garage got me quote, rang his insurance company, car repaired to the way it was, was not left out of pocket, lesson learned.

Also as for crossing across 2 lanes of traffic, I am afraid you should not blame her for it, I am sure if you check the rules of the road it will tell you to turn onto the first lane and then indicate to get into the 2nd.

Bad luck for you but I am afraid with the country we are now in she had every right to do what she did. You are honest, problem is there is 1/10 that is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Yeah I see where she is coming from,a few weeks ago,some muppet reversed into me,broke headlight dented wing bumper etc.He seemed genuine,said he would fix the bill.rang him later on with a quote and he says no,he has a friend that can do it cheaper etc.crap
    So I have my solicitor on it and have witnesses,so dont think he can get away with it
    so in future always call guards and get insurance details,dont call them straightaway though,important to have the other drivers details though
    Saves a lot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Similar here to Yop and NCC- thought I'd give the guy a break,damage to my car about £300(few years back)..got a friend to do it so wasn't costing the guy a penny extra than what it cost me.....was months trying to get the money out of him...so next time it will be cops to the scene and ring their insurance first

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Got rearended a few years ago, actually more sideways-ended, I was turning across the road and when at 90Deg some passing van, ripped the plastic cover of the rear bumper off.
    He stopped, I got photos or both the van and driver, etc.
    I got all his ins details, but he agreed to pay, so I gave him 10 days to send a bank draft after receiving a few quotes. Then went and made a police report.

Didn't receive anything, so I called him, he swore he had sent the funds, etc. he did, unfortunately it found it's way to the wrong Murphy. Eventually got it sorted out.

My sis got reversed into one day and the idiot bolted. However, they tracked him down and with a bit of coxing from the local Garda he amended his ways and coughed up.

So there's good and bad out there.

Advertisement